“Pleasant stay, but…” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sensimar Belek Resort & Spa

You added Sensimar Belek Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sensimar Belek Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Mehmet Akif Caddesi Bogazak Mahallesi 29 Sok. No 9, Belek, Turkey   |
Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in Belek
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Pleasant stay, but…”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We just got home after one week in Sensimar Belek. Overall our stay was pretty good, but we did have some issues. This will be a long review so beware!
First of all, we loved the couples only formula! No kids, so no noise. Guest were mostly couples of all ages and some families. Definitely not just older couples.
The atmosphere is very peaceful and relaxing, but there also is plenty of day and night time entertainment if you are into that. During the day there are plenty of sport activities you can join, such as yoga, fitness, aqua aerobics or beach volleyball.
And there was a show, live music or special (outside/gala) diner every night. Some nights were better than others and if you really like to party this is not the place to be. Music was more catered towards older couples and overall there was not much dancing going on. Most guest were in bed around 23:30. One night there was a foam party at the beach, which was amazing! So much fun!
The pool bars are open till 00:00, and most guest were sitting quietly in the bars or around the pool. Drinks and cocktails are included and they have a good variety. I drank the local vodka one night and it made me very, very sick, so be careful with that. Beers and wine were fine.

The pool is definitely the best feature of the hotel. Very big and lovely! We never had a problem finding a sun bed. And because of the design of the pool it never feels crowded. During the day they bring you coffee, cold drinks, fruit and snacks around the pool.
Many guest brought airbeds to lay on in the pool, which seemed like a very nice way to chill and cool off. So bring one from home, don’t buy them in the hotel shop, it’s quite expensive! At a 5/10 min walk down the road there is a nice variety of shop with much better prices.

Our room was pretty decent, with a mini bar, safe, tv etc. I’m very fussy about cleanliness but no complaints about our room. However, we had to change rooms the last day, and the other room had a very bad sewage smell and some sketchy brown stains on the curtain.
As mentioned before, the beds are very hard and there is no separate bathroom, so the sink is in the middle of the room. Also keep in mind that the complementary vanity kit is quite limited, and they do not provide you with any shampoo, conditioner or body lotion.
The hotel promised free wifi in the lobby and room, but we never had wifi in our room and in the lobby the wifi was on and off.

The food was decent. The variety and selection could be better, there were not a lot of options if you don’t eat meat or fish. All the vegetable dishes were quite spicy, some plain vegetables would be nice. Desserts were a bit disappointing. Very repetitive and a bit tasteless. We did not got sick, so that was a plus!

Most of the staff members were very friendly, but they speak very little English which makes it difficult to communicate. Some speak German, but also very limited.
The biggest let down was that the medical staff spoke very little to no English. I got a serious leg infection the last night, and luckily there was a doctor on call but it was very hard to communicate so I did not feel safe at all.
I also did not feel like he gave me proper treatment or examination, he did not even check my temperature. I had to undergo IV therapy (in my hotel room) and he came to check up on me the next morning, after that he was nowhere to be found. I was helped by the nurse, who spoke no English at all. My doctor at home also found his treatment very strange and incomplete. Plus the medical bill was very high, so make sure you have a good travel insurance!
I also felt like the hotel staff could be a little bit more helpful. Nobody once asked how I was doing or if everything was oke. When we needed a late check out, because I had to get another I.V. therapy with antibiotics, they told us it was not possible. I had to walk to reception and actually show them the IV in my arm, only then would they give us another room, for extra charge.

Overall our stay was nice, but not outstanding. We loved the pool, the foam party and the outside sunset dinner. But I felt the hotel is missing some personality and a more personal feeling. Some areas, like the lobby felt very lifeless.
We would recommend this hotel for a relaxing stay. If you like to party, or want a very fashionable hotel, this is not for you.
And the medical staff not speaking English was not acceptable for us, we would not return to Sensimar Belek because of that.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

As others have already said, I find it difficult to understand the negative reviews for this hotel. I guess that no place is going to please all of the people all of the time.

Our flight was delayed & so we arrived late at night. We were not offered any food but, given that it was 1 AM, we didn't expect it. We were quickly checked in by a friendly, English speaking, receptionist. A porter (also English speaking) then escorted us to our room.

Everything in the room was clean & in good condition. The hotel was built quite recently & everything looked to be quite new.

The pool was fantastic & the hotel's adults only policy made it a haven of peace & tranquillity.
We really liked the food. There was always a massive choice on offer in the buffet which varied quite a bit from day to day. We ate in the a la carte restaurant on one evening & although the menu was quite limited we did like what we had.

It's true that the majority of guests in the hotel are German but I don't see this as in any way a problem. Although some staff spoke very little English, everyone who we met was able to speak some. There was a varied program of events, which are not really our thing but most people seemed to enjoy it.

The beach is pebbles underfoot as you enter the sea (it is sand higher up) but we always wear beach shoes & so it wasn't a problem. There is also the option of entering the sea from a jetty which has steps that go down to the water.

I would say that the two outstanding features of the hotel are the staff who were universally friendly, helpful & attentive, & the spectacular pool which is so large, & in so many different sections, that it never feels crowded.

All in all, it was not quite up to the standard of some places that we have seen in the Caribbean, but then again it was around one third of the price. I would certainly visit again.

Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was my first trip to Turkey, and it wont be my last, after staying at this resort.
If you want to pall up with a load of Brits this is not the place to be, Drink service at pool and beach was great ,maximum brits 8 in total, but this did not put us off.
If you don't like screaming kids, then this is heaven on earth.
Everything about the hotel was amazing, food, staff, pool was out of this world.
Even with very hot evenings, and even hotter days, shade was always available.
Thiswas made up of mainly couples, of all ages.
All in all first class resort.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view if you book one, we took a refund after they gave us a side sea view...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
earby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

cant understand some of the bad reviews arrived late about 11.15 pm so not really any food left staff left us some salad and bread ,next day after a good sleep in hard but comfy beds we went down for breakfast and was waited on hand and foot and had great food lunch great evening meal great and snacks all great staff very attentive all during stay .the pool area is outstanding and the attached beach also very good no problem getting a sunbed anywhere .true it is predominantly german/dutch but all guests seemed fine after all its not in blackpool weather was fiery hot all week .rooms at back of hotel are ok but don't have balconies but are cleaned every day staff cannot do enough for you all in all for a hotel abroad I give it 5 stars well worth a visit

Room Tip: ask for a pool view
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were dissapointed inmost aspects of this hotel. The arrival late on Saturday evening 1st June was met with no food or drink facilities, although a kind member of staff russtled us a beer and a sandwich.
Reception staff were never friendly or helpful.
Hotel caters for German, Russian and Dutch guests. Staff speak little or no English. Entertainment limited and mostly dancers.
Room was not what we expected as booked with Monarch. Sliding window with glass barrier on small edging was supposed to be balcony/terrace, so no out of room area. Reception staff said that we would have to pay 50 euros a day for a room with balcony or terrace!
Other staff and waiters were friendly and helpful, when they finally noticed you.
I would not class this hotel on a par with the last hotle we stayed in which was The Commodore Elite.
No rooms or chanding facilities available for late check out so we had to hang around the lobby all day. No hospitality.
Food bland and we left with upset tummies on the last day and still suffering the consequences. Beware!

Room Tip: Make your agent guarantee sea view and balcony.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Lovely, quiet, modern, open-air concept hotel with spa in small coastal town of Boguzkent. My husband and I stayed 7 nights in a 5th floor sea view room. I believe we were the only Americans as most guests were German. Having read the reviews I knew the hotel catered to German guests and we experienced no issue with this. Yes, signs, menu items and daily activities were listed in German, but in Turkish and English too. If you are traveling outside your own country to one where the language is different than yours, be thankful when the resort caters to you, as you are the foreigner in their country. I personally was impressed by the kind and friendly staff, most which were multi-lingual.

The Good: quiet; no loud, obnoxious animation crew here. Though, during prime hours you can hear the nearby hotels turning up the volume of fun. No thanks ... been there, done that. No loud music or conga lines here, rather you'll enjoy plenty of peaceful, nap by the pool kind of days. This resort is adults only, and occassionally I'd see somone from the sister resort wander through with a kid or two, but the staff quickly and quietly escorted them out. The only other (welcome) interruption is the smiling girl pushing the snack cart. Sample cups of buttery corn, fruit parfaits and chocolate puddings throughout the day without leaving your lounger. Though know there is no cocktail service by the pool; you need to get your own drinks here, and there are plenty of bars poolside.

Overall, the food was excellent! We only ate at the buffet and grill. We've been to many all inclusives and this was by far the best food. It surprises me that some reviewers complained about the variety or taste. For every meal, there are several choices of turkey, chicken, beef, vegetarian, fish plus many traditional Turkish dishes from different regions. Cold salads, soups, meze, breads, cheeses, amuse bouches, spectactular desserts ... and on and on. If you cannot find variety here then I don't think you can be pleased anywhere.

The hotel layout and design is beautiful. Plenty of places to sit and enjoy an evening tea or coffee or sip a couple of cocktails. There are several places to have drinks, but most people congregated near the Island pool bar or on the Terrace. The Beach side bar was perfect for enjoying a sunset drink with spectacular views of the sea. From the landscaping, to the terrace overlooking the pool, to the blue and teal colored tiles of the pool, careful attention was given to every detail.

There is an inside pool attached to the spa, and I believe a hot tub next to it, but it appeared to be down for repairs. I never saw anyone use either. In the Spa, you can use the complimentary hamam, steam, and sauna rooms, or book appointments for the hamam service, which we did twice. My husband is Turkish, and he called it hamam-lite. Regardless, it was an interesting (and enjoyable) experience. The spas offers several types of massages at reasonable prices.

The staff was excellent. Since my husband speaks Turkish he was able to talk with many of the staff and get to know a little about them. Everyone was very friendly and hospitable.

What You Need To Know: while we stayed in a 5th floor (top floor) sea view room, we were disappointed with the balcony, which is a high wall that completely closed off your view unless you were standing up next to it. It's more of a sky view room. To make the best of this, the hotel could spring for a couple bar height chairs and table so you could at least sit on the balcony and enjoy the view. It appeared the best balconies are on the 4th floor. 1st thru 4th have a glass wall but only the 4th and 5th are large enough for 2 chairs. If you can get one, the 8 Lake House villas look amazing.

Our room was small, but we didn't go on vacation to stay in our room. We had, what we call in the U.S., a king sized bed. (Not 2 beds pushed together.) But for us, the matress was too hard, almost uncomfortable.

The room offered plenty of space for clothes, several large mirrors, hair dryer, safe, stocked fridge, reading lights, and tea pot. Some bottles in the fridge required a bottle opener, which was not supplied though one was delivered shortly after we requested it. No soaps, lotions, etc. in the room which I found very surprising. Room comes stocked with 2 robes, 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, bath mat, a loofah, a washcloth and small vanity kit. Would have liked a couple extra bath towels, though I'm sure they would have accommodated us if we asked. Washcloths were sporadically replaced.

We found it difficult to regulate the AC. Either too cold or too warm. We decided to go with too cold and requested extra blankets. The AC turns off when the balcony doors are open or if the key card is removed from the slot. We kept one key in the slot the whole time, but found that housekeeping would open the balcony door a wee bit to turn off the AC.

Yes, the water temperature is an issue. Forget hot, we never even had a warm shower, but I suppose that's what happens when everyone comes in from the pool at 5 pm and takes a shower before dinner.

The liitle hair dryer was barely adequate, but loved the pull out vanity mirror. The bathroom and shower walls are made of opaque glass, while not an issue for my husband and me, I can imagine some not being comfortable with this. Never fear, there are plenty of very private, very clean bathrooms throughout the resort.

The rooms are lacking basic info for guests: map of resort, what # to call for front desk, how late the pool is open, spa services, how to use the safe, etc. This info would be helpful upon check in.

The drinks were a bit of a disappointment. Usually too strong. I did not care for the house wines or local beer Efes, but that’s just me. I sampled a lot, but never found anything I really liked. Dining times are prompt 6:30-9 pm for dinner. Most folks get there right at 6:30 so it gets very crowded and warm indoors. The best tables are along the pool where it is cool, but they get snapped up by the early birds. We tried to time our meal around 7:30 after the rush. However, often we felt rushed to eat as the staff starts to break down the buffet before service is over.

Please know there are stray cats that live at the resort. You will see the same few cats around the pool, terrace, near the dining tables, even in the lobby. The Turkish people are very kind to the stays. The cats are cared for and will not hurt you, bother you or jump on you. Please be respectful, and if you are bothered or afriad, let the staff know and they will accommodate you.

WiFi is available, but only on the Terrace, lobby, and when dining near the pool. Again, we didn't go on vacation to be online, but nice to be able to check in back home.

Almost every night, there is some scheduled event such as music, dancing, casino night, movie on the beach, Events start around 8:30 and are done by 10 pm. If you are looking for low-key, this is the place. During our stay, the resort celebrated their 2 year anniversary and planned a very special night with decorations, fancy feast, and a Brazilian dance troupe. They went all out to put on a spectacular show for their guests, which was very nice.

There are plenty of nice, comfortable loungers and umbrellas on the beach and by the pool. Guests did get in early to "reserve" a spot, so if you are a late riser, your options may be limited. We'd get to the pool around 10:30 and usually found a decent spot. The shoreline is rocky, so if you plan to go into the water you will want water shoes. Believe me, I thought I could brave it without, but it hurt my little feet and I couldn't do it! Even to just walk along the water, you may need shoes.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Sensimar Belek and would recommend it to others.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Adult only side of the hotel - Half the hotel rooms have no outside space, No hot water at peak times - No late checkout, No complimentary rooms to get changed!

Firstly we arrived at almost midnight, the hotel have no eating facilities past midnight, so you go hungry first night!

After trying all week to get the room we should have had with terrace or balcony, I was told to come back every day by the un caring reception staff, we also requested to keep the room late as our flight isn't until 10pm. We are now sat in reception on the day of check out, having been told no room extension available and unbelievably no complimentary room to get changed in later. Reception staff have done nothing but lie to me for a week, they are the major let down in this hotel!

We stayed in room 1110 until today 8th June. The room was modern very clean and good facilities, one major exception; nothing more than a sliding window, which reception called French Balcony. We booked with Monarch and it stated on our invoice balcony or terrace - be warned half the rooms in this hotel have NO OUTSIDE SPACE!
One more MAJOR issue is this hotel run's out of HOT WATER by 9am and again at 5.30pm. Clearly lack of capacity to handle peak loads,which beggars belief in a modern hotel.

Now for the positives if you can put up with cold showers, the staff other than reception work very had to ensure you have a good holiday, from the cleaners to bar staff and restaurant waiters they are perfect, as is the hotel for cleanliness. Food is a fair quality if a little bland and repetitive, turkey in several dishes most nights. I suppose feeding the masses things like pasta, chips etc, are to be expected. Some nights they have a large joint of meat being carved, which would be good more often. Finally on food we tried to book the other restaurants on the Tuesday night only to be told they had been fully booked, perhaps we should have considered booking the day we arrived!
The hotel is quiet in a remote location surrounded by a very low standard or local living, we felt unsafe stepping outside this hotel.
In summary reception staff don't care and cannot manage room bookings correctly, NO HOT WATER at peak times would make me avoid this hotel again!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sensimar Belek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!