The hotel is very clean and has very cheap rates for the rooms. We discovered that the hotel had been shut for some time and had recently reopened, which was why it was so cheap. While we were there, the swimming pool opened and the pool bar also opened. The swimming pool was very clean itself, and quiet. Plenty of loungers to choose from while we were there. The pool bar was expensive predictably - if you walk up the road you can reach Atomik which has a better range of food and drinks, or the local supermarkets which are very good value.
The hotel didn't offer any lunch or dinner menus while we were there, but this may change when they get more visitors. The breakfast was cold and quite basic - but perfect for us, so we certainly weren't complaining! Coffee, tea and juice with a selection of cereals, breads with spreads and cold meats, croissants, fruit (apples, oranges and bananas only), and things like yogurts. We personally prefer this type of breakfast and knew in advance what to expect but don't expect a hot full english if you're staying here.
The room itself was cleaned regularly, and came with the usual TV, clean towels, sheets, spare pillows, mini toiletries. Towels were changed every other day. There was a fridge and bottle opener provided which came in very handy for storing water and beer. No hairdryer provided. Also, no safe. I brought my own toothbrush and plug converters, so have no idea how helpful the receptionists would be with these types of enquiries. Generally the receptionists were very nice and friendly and were able to help with various questions about the area.
It's a very short walk to the beach - just around the corner - and is ideally located. Very close to LA bar which is a great little place run by an expat with plenty of local knowledge. You can walk in less than five minutes to the local bars, restaurants, beach, and supermarkets. It's also close to a trail which runs along the cliff top all the way to Praia de Luz (recommend the walk although when you get there you'll realise it's a lot more touristy than Burgau, and Burgau beach is much nicer although there's more water activities available in Luz. Apparently there's good snorkelling in Burgau although I was too afraid to go by myself too near the rocks.
The beach itself is very clean, quite small, but never packed which is great. You can hire loungers and umbrellas from the Beach Bar. There's also a tiny Beach Hut which serves toasties, ice creams and beer - didn't see them shut once! The sea is clear and was shallow during the time we were there and has a little seaweed but nothing to grumble about.
If we return - which we probably will because we fell in love with Burgau - we'll probably get a villa as we did find the beds rather uncomfortable in the hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Offer unique senior tourism. Here has all the security you need, our team of physician, nurse and assistants always present. You can enjoy walking by region, gymnastics food coming directly from the sea activities created by our employees.Come and meet us we have a unique offering of senior tourism. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HostelBookers and Despegar.com so you can book your Praia do Burgau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Praia Do Burgau Hotel Luz
- Praia Do Burgau Portugal - Algarve