“Affordable in Manila” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila

You added Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila to your Saves list
Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila
31 Bayview Drive | Villa Caroline Townhouse, Paranaque, Luzon 1700, Philippines   |
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paranaque
Tagbilaran City, Philippines
“Affordable in Manila”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Hard to beat the prices at this budget hotel, but a warm welcome from staff and guests [mainly foreign tourists]. Close to Mall of Asia and airport. Do not expect the Ritz, but clean and affordable. I have been staying here for the past 9 years when passing through Manila and will continue to do so. TV reception in rooms is poor, but the hot showers work. Great for those visiting Philippines for first time because you get loads of advice from seasoned travellers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank David T
AsiaBill, Owner at Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila, responded to this review, October 31, 2015
Thanks "David T" for your review; we contine to meet so many regular Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila guests who have been staying with us for 10 years when our paths finally cross. Remind me the next time you pass through again and no matter where in the world my wife and I happen to be we can help make you smile

Kruger National Park, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Reading feedback from everybody, made me book my family in this place. Truly this place is accessible, good staff (in fact, very good!) and most of all, value for money. Everything went well, from the time I made bookings online, to the phone calls I made, it was perfect! Keep it up guys! Truly this place is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Senith
Thanks so much "Senith" for writing this review which helps remind me how many guests do really love our Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila as much as my wife and I love it, enabling us to meet some of the most interesting people in the world and allowing us to escape the "system" aka 8 to 5 job lifesyle. Remind me the next time you passthrough via email because it would be our pleasure to make you smile
Baguio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

From the dirty toilet to roaches and rats roaming the place and unprofessional staff..i would say everything negative i had observed from my stay with villa carolina in the past has been mentioned here..now it's up to the owner if they can take things professionally and do something about it or they can close their mind and turn off their ears to the multiple complaints of disappointed customers..One thing is for sure...i ain't going back to this place ever again until i'm convinced everything has improved.

Room Tip: Add a little more to your budget and go find other hotels in Pasay city which is also near the airpo...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank MilesExplorer
AsiaBill, Owner at Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila, responded to this review, October 30, 2015
Thanks so much "MilesExplorer" for your advice and review. We never opened our doors to world travelers on a budget with the intenetion of ever being "professional" only of being free of the "system" and 8 to 5 jobs which we've succeeded in doing. Since the early 90s , 3000 to 4000 world travelers on a budgte have and contine to pass through our Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila and we have regular guests who have been staying with us for 10+ years before our paths cross and we meet them but these regulars are not so in touch with computer technology nor bother writing reviews. When guests stay with us for multiple weeks and eve months we often ask them about the comlaints and negative reviews and they usually reply" nobody can make anybody happy other than themselves" Happy Travels

Travelers are raving about these Paranaque hotels

Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

The location was good, the cab driver could not find it, I ended up walking and finding it on my own after reading the directions they sent me, Wifi in common area was good. Room was huge. Saw some cockroaches but what do you expect? Airport transfer is 120$ might be cheaper in jeepny...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Heiress7
Thanks "Heiress7" for your down to earth honest review . Happy Travels
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

We booked a room here and told them that our flight was getting in late at night and we asked if this was an issue. They said that it wouldn't be, but when we got there they told us that they had no rooms for us!

We were very upset and had to go back to the airport to sleep, although it might have been a good thing. From what I saw of the townhouse looked very run down and dirty. I just wish we didn't have to waste a taxi ride to figure that out.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stodds73
Thank you "Sashawes" for your review and we're so happy to hear you found alternative places to stay within your budget in comparison to ours at P200 / bedspace for 6 bed unisex, fan cooled share bath dormitory, and private fan cooled rooms for P400 & P500 / night / 1 or 2 perosns and private fan cooled rooms with private bathroom for P600. Yes we have a revolving staff of completely unemployable staff and our drivers often take breaks without notice. I use to drive guests to the airports during the first 8 years we opened our doors to world travelers on a budget but the first time it took me 45 minutes during gridloack bumper to bumper traffic I said to myself ENOUGH and hired a long line of drivers . SO sorry our driver was not available to you during your stay but Roxas Blvd being only 1/2 minute away with taxis passing 24 hours a day it's quite easy to get a P70 to P140 ( U$1.50 to U$3+) ride back to all 4 Manila airport terminals, NAIA1, NAIA 2 NAIA 3 and NAIA 4. I have traveled the world sicne I was 18 years old in 1972 and know that there are few if any budget hotels near major city airports for this price. Happy Travels and All the best luck to you in the future
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I am in my late fifties and have stayed at the Townhouse Hostel with my wife on a number of occasions whilst visiitng the Philippines. Indeed I have just booked in for another stay in early 2012 when I plan visiting friends in the north of the country

The location of the Townhouse, being so close to the airport, makes it a very convenient stopping and starting point for anyone coming to the Philippines. The owners are at pains to give you advance guidance as to how to negotiate the airport and get a taxi to their place at a reasonable rate or to collect you by prior arrangement. They are also willing to provide transport to the aiport at the end of your stay at a very reasonable rate which is a great relief.

The Townhouse is a hostel and not a hotel, and as such its aim is to provide for the basic needs of other travellers, particularly those travelling light such as backpackers. Indeed the owners are themselves seasoned travellers with a great deal of pesonal expereince of travelling in very many countries and as such have an acute awareness of the needs of travellers. In the Townhouse, there are a variety of private and shared rooms at different rates and it has facilities for basic food and drinks at reasonable prices. After a long outward plane journey, or indeed prior to such a trip coming home and after living in some pretty basic conditions elsewhere in the Philippines, we have always appreciated a comfortable bed and warm shower (anything else is a bonus). The staff and owners have always have been very helpful and are more than willing to share advice regarding your stay in the Philippines. The hostel is now equipped with WiFi in the pucblic areas, which we have found a rel boon.

The Townhouse is a meeting place for people from all round the world. Generally the people using the place are young (by our standards), but even at our vast age we have been made to feel welcome. Those staying there need not feel that they are confined to the hostel as locally there are a number of eating places and it is very close to one of the largest shopping malls in Asia where just about everything is available. Buses and taxis to other parts of Manila are available within a few hundred yards.

To sum up the reason why we continue to use this hostel is that it is simply such a convient location and great value for money. Do not expect luxury - it is a hostel not a hotel, but it does do what it purports to do.

Room Tip: Check the availability before you get arrive and reserve it.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank PS1472
Thanks "PS1472" for your detailed review; it's so gratifying to hear the truth and an honest un-biased opinion about our simple but average home away from home guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila near all 4 airports, NAIA 1, NAIA 2 NAIA 3 and NAIA 4 ( pronounced Nah EE AH ) It's been 4 years since you stayed with and my wife are really busy brainstorming about all the improvements and expansion projects we plan to complete in the next year or two.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

And that is why I always head for the TownHouse. I have been going to PI since October 1993 and during October 2011 made my 30th trip into Philippines. I am a Globetrotter with 84 countries to my credit and four circles of the globe. During each trip I stay at TownHouse on arrival since it is close to the airport and for the friendlyness of the staff. Normally after two to three days I am off to other islands for a few weeks. However, at the end of my island hopping wonderings and en route back to my loving dogs at home, I stay at Townhouse again. If I calculate that, it would amount to sixty(60) stays to present.
There is an independent food consessioner located in the front lobby, who supplies good wholesome food and beverages at a very reasonable price, considering the alternative of having to walk out in the rain or catch transportation to the next nearest location.
I have always found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. The owners Bill and Lorna are also seasoned Globetrotters and can advise you on travel to just about any place on earth. Employing their unique experience of being Travelers rather than Tourists, they organized the TownHouse to accommodate and cater to that special breed of mobil clientele. This is the place to meet other travelers and to exchange ideas and get first hand information on the long road.

Room Tip: I prefer room with AC, however, if it is not available a fan will do
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Bearaskmeagain
Thanks "Bearaskmeagain" for describing us and our "baby business" so perfectly, I just enjoyed a spinal "rush". My wife and I couldn't have said it any better. Now that we have finished maxing out our Casa Camilla Boracay beach front Apartments to 51 units with only another 3+ month construction project next year to finish the "curb appeal" we NOW in Manila most of the time investing our time and money to attack each and every one of our 38 private rooms and dormitory and doubling our personal living space as well. We also have finished a new 4th floor roof garden which has 4 pickup truck loads of plants and we'll be bring a dozen more palm trees until it's transformed into an oasis in the city with panoramic sunset view of Manila Bay and the forever growing Metro-Manila skyline. We'll be having a traditional Filipino lechon / roast pig party to celebrate hopefully sometime in December for our guests and staff to celebrate. It will be open to guests 8AM to 11AM for coffee, tea and breakfast and 2Pm to 7PM for sunny blue sky days' happy hour drinks. Happy Travels, Keep on truckin and may you maintain your postive energy levels as much as we have.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paranaque
Stone House Hotel Pasay
Red Planet Ermita, Manila
Red Planet Ermita, Manila
#17 of 109 in Manila
3.5 of 5 stars 505 reviews

Been to Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila? Share your experiences!