“Great staff, lots of interesting photo spots, affordable food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 16 Attractions in Marikina
Type: Specialty Shops, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the newest tourist landmark listed by the NCR tourism department of the Philippines situated at Marikina Metro Manila. A bakeshop, garden restaurant and a chessplaza, Pan de Amerikana is the only place where you can have a taste of the historical 1950's Filipino bread called the Pan Amerikano. Giant sized chess pieces compliments the Chessplaza situated at its colonnade patterned like the ruins of Italy
Mexico, Pampanga, Philippines
11 attraction reviews
“Great staff, lots of interesting photo spots, affordable food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

GOOD
- Super affordable food! P150 per person should be enough for a full meal.

- A mix of quirky places to get photographed at. The star of the show is definitely the chess plaza, a larger than life chessboard which will remind you of Harry Potter playing Wizard's Chess. However, there's also a photo wall of Pinoy celebrities from the past decades; a large, playable chess board with a rocking chair, a hammock (which we didn't try; boyfie is nervous about how well it can carry us), a Star Wars chess board (which we couldn't inspect outside the glass case, as per the staff member), and a hanging bridge on the second floor. There are several other interesting stuff in there I won't describe anymore so they can be your own nice little surprise. ;)

- GIANT pandesals.

- Honest staff. I accidentally dropped my wallet in the chess plaza, and when we came up to the counter to inquire, I noticed that they have a logbook of lost items, with the contents listed. I thanked my lucky stars that it was one of their folks who found my stuff!

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT
- Ventilation. Ceilings are high in several areas+ there are big misting fans around the room, but prepare to get sweaty still.
- Food taste. We get what we pay for, but for Php75, I wish their tapa didn't taste like the ones I buy from supermarkets. :(

HOW TO GET THERE
From Cubao, ride a Marikina jeep heading for SSS Village. Ask the driver to drop you at Bay Tree. (P8 fare as of writing) You will pass by two Puregold stores along the way--you will get off when you see the second one (it's by Gen. Ordonez street). Then, cross the street (you'll see the green Marikina bike lane). It's a 5-minute walk to Pan de Amerikana from there. You will be greeted by a giant windill with a moustache-wearing baker.

NOTES
- Tables have chessboards painted on them, so feel free to use 'em! Just approach the counter and borrow chess pieces for free! You just need to leave one ID with them.

- They're proud of Everlasting, which is their version of embutido. I wasn't particularly blown away by it. Palabok is okay. The BF thinks bangus sisig is yummier and cheaper than those sod in fastfood stores.

- Food pricing is odd. Some items are super cheap-- mushrooms for P50!-- while items which should be cheap are not--softdrinks for P45! Thankfully, I'm a huge service water girl, and was happy to have a drinking station nearby.

- Try going there early in the morning to avoid the heat + crowds (for your photo spree!)

Visited April 2014

Marikina Heights, Rizal, Philippines
6 attraction reviews
“Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I like the ambience, of course. The food was delicious enough and reasonably priced. Their bread is also one of my favorites, especially the whole wheat kind.
What I also like about the restaurant is the fact that you don't have to dress up to eat here.

Visited October 2013
Antipolo City
11 attraction reviews
“A touch of vintage yet relaxing athmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

My husband introduce me to this place last Feb 28, 2014 coz were within the vicinity and looking for a good place to have breakfast.

The place is very nice, it has a touch of nature with vintage like stuff sorrounding you. Very ineteresting in this place is the whole wall of celebrity picture, wondering if the owner is somehow related to showbusiness.

We ordered tapa, bangus and tuna sandwhich since its breakfast time. We were there around 7am and there are tables already occupied. Nothing extravagant on the food and their brewed coffee doesnt taste brewed at all. :-( Our bill was less than 300 so I guess I shouldnt expect something special.

My first time may not be that special but I plan to go back to this place and try other menu coz I think they have something good to offer maybe just wasnt able to have it that day. My husband says their breads are good so will see.

Visited February 2014
Philippines
“Great ambiance, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

If a restaurant were to be judged only by the quality of its environment, this would definitely get 5 stars in my book. The large chess pieces, the quaint pieces of furniture and the overall ambiance really is quite cozy. My daughters found the place very interesting, specially the windmill and koi pond outside.

However, we came here to eat. The pandesal is quite good but nothing spectacular for me since Marikina is now proliferated with 24/7 pandesal bakeries. We ordered the Bicol Express which was ok but was a bit watery and lacked the spiciness I was looking for. The lumpiang shanghai we ordered was a bit burnt so there was a bitter taste to it and the sinigang wasn't that great either. In short, I could have had the same meal quality in our neighborhood carinderia for a lesser price....

The price of the food is quite reasonable and it is obvious that you are ultimately paying for the ambiance rather than the food.

Visited December 2013
caloocan
“SUPERB!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

It was my second time to this place and still enjoyed it. Their ambiance was really great, though they don't have air-con but it always seem that the place was properly ventilated. I haven't seen smokers though.
Great Pandesal you will ever taste plus the food was reallyyyy affordable and will suffice your cravings.
Very attractive and charming place I must say, They are equipped with a giant chess board which everyone can utilize and their is also a hanging bridge. There's a mini pond for coy too

Visited October 2013