“First local Philippine cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 177 Restaurants in Muntinlupa
Cuisines: Philippine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“First local Philippine cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Visited with our country manager and staff and was very impressed with the meals. I asked my colleagues to order and were served in typical sharing Asia style to allow 'everyone's chance to try each dish. We had soup for starter, a fish 'miso' like soup. very good and more 'salty' than I had expected. For Entree they selected three different meals ie. beef (Ox Tail), pork (roasted piglet), and I think yellow fish. All very good. Best meat was the pork which was served with rinds and a sweet condiment, the Ox tail was great with meat, falling of the bone served with a shrimp condiment sauce. For local cuisine I would very much recommend Abe. Also the location is very convenient on the outside of the mall with PF Chang, CA Pizza Kitchen, and any other American restaurant I could think off.

Manila, Philippines
“Bring your earplugs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I wanted to try this place because overseas visitors often want to experience local foods. In that respect I was successful. I am not really a fan of Philippine cuisine but there are a few dishes I do enjoy. I ordered Gambas as a starter and it was a good size portion with their twist as for seasoning. There must be thousands of variations on this recipe and for me this was a bit bland. The taste was actually good but missing enough "Kick" in that usually there is a bit of chili flakes but they were missing. For the main course I ordered a beef dish that basically consisted of chunks of beef that were then deep fried. The result was a really sad looking pile of black chunks. The flavor wasn't that bad but the beef was really dry. The highlight of the meal was the Garlic Rice. This was very flavorful and ranks among the best I have had.
This place is a comfort food type of restaurant and will have great appeal to Pilipino families. The biggest problem of the whole experience was the noise level!! Aside from the boisterous crowd and poor design of the space in respect to muffling the sounds was the almost incessant moving of chairs. The wooden chairs had plastic glides on the legs (I looked) and the floor was a hard ceramic tile. The effect was similar to chalk on a board and it was nonstop! My smartphone has a decibel meter app so out of curiosity I checked and found that through much of my meal it averaged between 85-90db. This is nearly equivalent to a subway train! Then on top of this ambient noise was the "Clack Clack" of presenting some rice dish inside of a bamboo container by beating on it with sticks!! Some may find all of this "fun" but for me it was just annoying. Aside from the Garlic Rice the food was nothing special and the noise and general ambiance really put me off. I'll not be returning.

• Visited September 2012