“Perfect honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alam Asmara Dive Resort

You added Alam Asmara Dive Resort to your Saves list
Alam Asmara Dive Resort
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   Candidasa Street, Candi Dasa, Karangasem, Bali 80871, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 19 Candi Dasa B&B and Inns
Birmingham
“Perfect honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Perfect service. Brilliant restaurant overlooking the sea. No sand beach at all - so be aware. Candidasa is about 3 hours by taxi (about $30) from Denpasar (pre-book a Blue Bird taxi - the lines are very long at the airport arrivals).
The rooms themselves are small traditional villas, albeit with a TV and A/C, and a completely outdoor bathroom. Don't worry about privacy in the bathroom - the walls are high, and most of it is covered with a roof too.
The king size beds are amazing, and have a four-poster feel with mosquito net.
Probably not a good choice for families, since there are erotic stone carvings in walls throughout the site - a rather unusual feature for a "Dive Resort" - but perfect for couples.
I can't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
WKariasa, General Manager at Alam Asmara Dive Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Valued Guest.

Thank you for your complimentary and you was enjoy your honeymoon with us.

we hope you will comeback in future with your wedding anniversary in our romantic resort and spa.

Please keep this memorial in you feel and love.

Nice regards.

Wayan Kariasa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I returned to Alam Asmara on 21 March,as a solo traveller (my husband and I married here on 29 December 2011) on the eve of Nyepi Day. I had a pick up from the airport and I had an interesting drive to Candidasa. All the villages had made Ogeh-Ogeh's. On my arrival the Manager, Wayan, organised for guests to go to the nearby village to watch the Ogeh-Ogeh parade and I am so glad I went. The Ogeh-Ogeh are paper mache monsters who are burnt afterwards. Nyepi Day was a day of silence throughout the whole of Bali celebrated annually by the Balinese. The hotel still provided meals and guests stayed within the hotel, relaxing by the pool.

I stayed for 12 days on my own but I was never lonely or bored. The staff were so attentive and friendly. I did the cooking class one day which was fantastic - no stress - Nyoman, the Chef, was so patient and helpful. I received photos, apron, recipes and learnt some new skills. The class was well organised by the front office and kitchen. I can recommend the class.

I barely spent any time in my room except to sleep at night and shower. The rooms are exceptionally clean and well maintained. I like the in room safe. The king sized bed and ambience of the room is wonderful with little details like the frangipani (jepun) on the bed, hisbiscus flower in the bathroom. The bathroom is open air but private and undercover with plenty of room and a rack to hang clothes. There is a good TV and mini bar. Every afternoon a hot water thermos is placed on the balcony table for tea and coffee. The balcony is private and comfortable. Breakfast is included in the price and there is a wide choice of food.

The Rendevouzs Restaurant serves superb, fresh Balinese and western dishes. On a few nights a week, young Balinese girls perform traditional Balinese dances. This restaurant possibly has one of the best views in Candidasa as it is situated right on the water overlooking (3) small islands, Nusa Penida, the local fishing boats (jukung) and the blue sea. The restaurant staff are so willing to help. I loved having a large capaccino every afternoon which is served with biscuits. Every dish, was beautifully presented and I never tired of the food, all at a reasonable price.

The front office staff and reception do a tremendous job. Nothing is too much trouble, from organising trips, diving, internet, advice about sim card for mobile phone, laundry, a friendly chat and greeting - anything. I also had some pampering at the spa where you can have a nice massage, facial, manicure, pedicure, flower bath. The girls in the spa are fun and friendly.

I was so lucky because the weather was fantastic. I thought it may have rained more being the wet season but I was prepared with books which I never read because I went snorkelling to various nearby spots nearly every day. The young fishermen will see you at breakfast and they will ask you if you want to go out in their boat. Don't be afraid to go because you won't regret it. As is common, you have to barter to reach a fair price for you and the fisherman. Also, even though there is no beachfront at the hotel, you merely have to walk down some steps in front of the restaurant at low tide to have a refreshing swim in the sea. Of course there is also the pool, equally refreshing with clean water.

There are plenty of restaurants and shops outside the hotel where you can purchase extra water, soft drinks, etc. There are 2 ATMs nearby, money changers and a Hardy's in nearby Amlapura. You can buy sunglasses, hats from the street vendors. There are plenty of drivers to be found on the street who offer transport.

My husband and I can't wait to return to Alam Asmara in October for 2 weeks of tranquility and relaxation, away from the stress, and we are never bored with this. This is a small and friendly hotel with good food, accommodation and staff. The Manager, Mr Wayan Kariasa, pays great attention to detail. He is more than willing to ensure that his guests receive very good service at a reasonable price. The staff are exceptional. Thank you all so much!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Kariasa W, General Manager at Alam Asmara Dive Resort, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Valued Guest...

Thank you for your trust and been stay with us, love to welcoming you to stay with us again in future.

Nice regards

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This property is really pretty – with wooden walkways over a fish pond (we enjoyed feeding the fish each morning) and beach frontage. There are lots of staff, constantly moving around working and stopping to say Hi. Staff assisted us in arranging a snorkling trip to Blue Lagoon (highly recommended) and transport to Kuta. The person maintaining our room needed a medal – we think they had OCD (joking!) as they must have cleaned our room about 5 times a day! The rooms are small, but really pretty, but our room had a slight musty smell – guessing this may be a side effect of the thatched roof, as the room was clean. They have a phone in the room to call reception (the only property we stayed in that had this), so it was very easy to get service if you needed it. Laundry was more expensive than other properties, we just took our laundry to a service in the town. The restaurant on site is great – once again, we needed to order breakfast the night before – this now seems pretty standard in Bali accommodation. Was unfortunate that we had to pay for each meal at the restaurant at the time – we would have preferred to ‘run a tab’ and pay in one go at the end. We enjoyed staying here and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest..

Thank you for your great comment, your return is our reward.

Nice regards,

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

My wife and I chose this hotel/ dive resort based on the location to be closer to the dive location we wanted to visit and got the most relaxing holiday in paradise you could wish for. We arranged with the resort to be picked up from the airport and the first class experience begain, we were meet by there driver Norm with cold drinks and ice cold towels to cool down safely driven to the resort where we were greated by the friendly staff.
We were shown via a raised walk way above fish ponds with lush tropical flowering plants over hanging to our beautiful bungaloo which was spotlessly clean, quiet well working air con, bar fridge, LCD tv with international channels and a king sized bed that made it very easy to sleep.
The restaurant has stunning views overlooking the ocean with chiefs that could be working in any top class resturants around the world. The meals they prepared are to die for my favourites is the Pan seared Mahi Mahi and the banana fritters very well priced.
We went diving with their Dive Master Tika to the Blue lagoon and Tulamben. The dive gear is good quality with clean air. Tika was very professional made my wife feel very safe and made sure we got what we wanted to achieve out of each dive.
The fish life at both sites are excellent, 28degree C water temp good visibility. My favourite dive would be Tulamben which I dive 20yrs before to see the coral growth and ships decay is amazing. My wife conned me into a couples massage which I have to admit was relaxing and helped with the tight muscels from diving, the ladies were very skilled the second massage after the next dive was my idea very much worth the small cost. The resort is top class and I cannot wait to see all the friendly staff again on our next trip back to this piece of paradise, only difference we will be makingthe visit longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest.

Thank you for your great review to our resort, our dream is your return again.

Best regards,

Pinckney, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We planed a trip to Bali and my husband wanted to also get his PADI scuba dive certified during our stay there. I came across this resort online and decided to stay with them after several efficient email back and forth with Agus. Agus and the team are very good in providing me the information I need on the dive programe.

Airport pick-up - Upon arrival at the airport, the pick-up sign was the first one we spoted. The driver was very attentative. He gave us ice cold water and ice cold towel to fresh up as soon as we got in the car.

Service & Room - Arrived at the resort, "Made" came up to greet us and help us check in in no time. He showed us the room in great detail. The room isn't very big, but big enough to unpack and settle in. The room is very clean and comfortable, especially the bed. We like the outdoor bathroom with the huge stone tub. We find it very convenient to wash our dive gears and hang there to dry. There's a safe in the room, which is convenient to lock valueable things up. we love the sitting area on the front porch, admiring the fish in the pond and the green vegetation. I love sitting out there in the early morning and late afternoon enjoy my coffee. there are only 12 bungalows, each is surrounded with fish pond and vegetation. it's very secluded and quiet.

Resort restaurant - on the water. we had our candel light dinner the 1st night, it came with the package we purchased. they set up a signal table with candles around on that platform by the pool and over look ocean. the food was great. how more romantic could it be. based on the other reviews complaining food outside of the resort is cheaper, we therefore tried outside. Our conclusion is eat at the resort, not worth trying out there. it may be IDR11,000 (rupiah) more for the main course at the resort, but really, it's only less than USD2 more. And you get a bigger portion, better presentation and quality than the restaurants outside. We had the best grill snapper and mahi mahi at the resort restaurant. Breakfast is served there too and you get to pick from 4 choices. the only thing I find they could improve a bit is, not to charge for 2 slices of white bread at breakfast. My husband order oatmeal for breakfast 2 monring and need extra 2 slices of bread to fill him up before we went out diving. I was a bit surprised they want to charge us this. it's cheap, only USD1.50. But it's not so cheap for only 2 slices of bread. they can do better on this to make the guest feel even greater.

Massage - We had the massage at the resort. it was fine. And my massage girl, Susi, went out of her way and took me out on her scooter and shop for batik & saroon. I really appreciate that.

Dive - other reviews about dive with this resort were not too positive and we were abit reserved. And boy we were wrong. The service we received was unbelievably great. We didn't sign up one on one course for my husband since it's cheaper. but it turned out a personal course. The dive instructor, Made, came to the hotel from their dive head office (2 hrs away) and spent the whole day with my husband teaching him in the class and then close-water class at the resort pool. There were no one in the pool that day. I've not dived for 7 years and he offer me to practice in the pool when they were done w/ the lessons. He took us out on the traditional boat to Blue Lagoon. The next day we went to northeast of Bali island to dive at Liberty ship wreck, 2 hrs drive. it was the experience of life-time. Made is a young dive instructor/master, strict with the skills we need to obtain. with one of the shore dive, I need to carry my gears walking into the water. with me weight only 46kg (103 lbs) he help to carry my gears and hold on to me to ensure I wouldn't fall. He constantly check with us under the water ensure we are fine. I asked him about the bad review, it was the previous guy who didn't care much. If you do consider going to Bali diving and like to stay at nice resort but not over-priced, I highly recommend this resort to stay. it locates in between two good dive sites.

Resort location - 3 mins walk out on the main street, there are plenty restaurants, shops for anything you need. it's not a busy area like Ubud. If you want to place to hide away, enjoy the quietness and still have good quality of stay, this is the one.

Mind you, no sandy beach - almost all resort in that area have no sandy beach. it's just the way it is. we don't mind this at all. we can still sit at pool lounge chair and watch the waves. you can get down stairs for a good swim when the tie is low.

We love it here so much and already talking about keep coming back and stay with them in the soon future. We spent the last 2 nights in Ubud at Royal Pita Maha, which cost 5 times higher than the room in Alam Asmara. Yes the villa was nice and big, amenities are at their grand, but we kept talking about Alam Asmara. it was the people who touch our heart and made us enjoy our stay there so much.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Caroline

Thank you for spending great time to stay with us in our small boutique resort in heart of Paradise.

your return is our smile and future.

Nice regards,

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

What a beautiful little hidden jem we have found in Alam Asmara Dive Resort. I wish I could keep it to myself so it doesn't get to hard to go there in the futur but I won't.
Everything was absolutely top class. The staff were so nice and so friendly. The bungalow was just beautiful. The resort itself is peaceful and so nice. The food at the restaurant was also very good and very well priced. We ate at the restaurant quite many times.We will definitively go back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your complimentary and all my staff was so happy to get your comment and we do our best to keep our best to all our guest.

Your return is our future..

Best regards

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I have been travelling through Southeast Asia for almost three months, usually staying at small properties, and this place tops the list. It is charming and impeccable with a beautiful view. The staff is outstanding--friendly, professional, work as a team. I ate every meal at the restaurant and they were all excellent and well presented--food fit for a 'foodie'.

The staff arranged two outings, one by car up the east coast and along the back roads, and the other snorkelling. Both were excellent. I ended one day with an age-defying facial at the spa and should have had a massage too!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear our Valued Guest,

Thank you for Best comment and was give us great future and we are waiting comeback again in future.

Best regards.

Wayan Kariasa

Been to Alam Asmara Dive Resort? Share your experiences!