“Nice resort without beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nirwana Resort and Spa

You added Nirwana Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Nirwana Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Sengkidu, Amlapura, Candi Dasa, Karangasem, Bali 80871, Indonesia   |
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Candi Dasa
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Nice resort without beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed several days at the Nirwana in a Seaview Villa and the place has a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere. Staff is friendly and the restaurant on a good level.

Some imperfections may be mentioned. The aircondition in the first villa did not work well and we had to change.Actually I checked all foru villas and only one had a well working aircondition. There is no beach at all and guest have to accept that there is a pool only for swimming. It is hardly possible to leave the resort on the seaside as there are walls on both sides of the resort. Walking to Candidasa is not much fun as the road is very busy. So there is not much alternative to the place unless guests order transport.

Room Tip: Sea view villa no. 101 has most privacy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Indonesian first
Nendaz, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

At checkin I presented an email with confirmation number of my Booking.com reservation for a 1 night stay made the day before. The young receptionist said they had not received it, and I would be charged again.
I asked for the Manager, and was told this was his day off (Sunday) and that their accounting department was closed as well. The payment conditions on Booking.com stated that payment would be booked to my credit card with the confirmation of the reservation.
Summary: The Hotel's bad managment was not capable of dealing with the payment conditions they had chosen.They should have chosen credit card guarantee at reservation, payment on checkout, or had a 24 /7 facility to check payments recevied.

The seaside setting of the Hotel is beautiful at first sight, but there is no safe beach for swimming, just a wall directly into the sea. Walking along the shore is also impossible because there is no access. The road back to town is better tackled by taxi or the Hotel's driver than by foot.

The rooms were quiet until some deplorable disco or kareoke started up somewhere in the close vicinity in the evening and lasted until after 10 pm.

The food was average, and the general service ok, but my very low opinion of this establishment is based on the fiasco at checkin which took 45 minutes or so without a satisfactory resolution!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Welt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I only spend one night at the Nirwana Resort and Spa in Candidasa, but I really enjoyed my stay at this accommodation. The interior of the small bungalows is very nice, especially the design of the bathroom. Furthermore, the Nirwana Resort has a beautiful location at the sea. From the pool you can have a good view on the beach and the sea.

However, what I really want to point out about the Nirwana Resort is the friendly staff. After leaving it I forgot something at the accommodation. After finishing my trip at the east of Bali I came again across the Nirwana Resort and asked if they might have found it. After making several phone calls and trying to find it, it was not possible as the responsible housekeeping staff was not present at the moment. I left the address of my hotel in Denpasar, as well as my phone number to reach me in case they find it. One day later a service employee of Nirwana was standing in the lobby of my hotel just to bring the found item to me. He came all the way from Candidasa to Denpasar by car to deliver it to me. I was really surprised and happy about it and I am still appreciating the effort, which was made! Thank you!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Our group went to the Nirwana in January 2013. The Nirvana clearly proofs that you can't rely on pictures on the Internet to judge a place. The access road is a track alongside a farm full of pot holes. Our accommodation wasn't clean at all and whilst I am not too fussy - it is Bali after all - the musty smell of the rooms when the aircon was off (or broken) was very unpleasant to say the least. The airconditioning kept breaking down constantly and none of the employees had an idea of what to do. They kept changing aircon units from one villa to the other, some of them had water hoses permanently connected for whatever reason, the units clearly needed replacing. It was only the pressure of a group complaint that brought the Manager and even then he thought an offer of a free lunch was sufficient. The food is average at best. The staff is friendly and I particularly felt sorry for the receptionist who had to deal with all the complaints. My villa didn't supply a single Bath towel in the 6 days that we stayed (lucky we brought our own). And if you are not a fan of lizzards/geckos don't go there. The roofs are all open and invite visitors. They are so noisy that there is little chance of sleep and no point trying to chase them out because they will be back in the shortest time. There is no beach access at all unless you climb down a wall. The breakfast tables don't have any umbrellas and it is much too hot to sit in the sun. The breakfast room has aircon that they didn't switch on because of the open doors and in 2 weeks we never saw a single beach umbrella by the pool sun chairs. The pool itself offered little refreshment because it was the temperature of bathwater due to being exposed to the sun all day without shade.
There is much better quality acommodation on offer in Bali for the same or better price. Definitely would not recommend this place!!!

Room Tip: Don't go there to begin with
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Northam, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here for 5 nights because we wanted to explore east bali without long drives. We had an ocean front villa and our two teenage girls also had an ocean front villa. The resort is small and thats what we liked about it. Even though you cant swim in the ocean in front because there is a large drop and a wall it was still nice to look at the ocean and island and hear it all. The pool was beautiful and because there is not many people here the pool was never crowded.Breakfast was not a buffet like some large hotels but the choices we had were plenty to keep us happy. The staff everywhere were fantastic and very helpful. We walked to town a few times which took us about 20 mins and caught a taxi back or some of the places we ate gave us a free lift back. If you dont want to walk the staff will organise a driver to take you in a well.
The only thing that I thought could be improved was the rooms as far air movement goes. The rooms are airconditioned and they are cool but once inside and your body adjusts to the tempreture it feels like there is no aircon which makes sleeping a bit hard. I think if there was a fan and you could feel air moving it would be perfect. The rooms though are lovely and I found them to be clean with no complaints.
If you want to relax and lounge around for while I think this hotel is perfect and for the money we paid I think it was great value for money.

Room Tip: Ocean front villa is the best choice!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

A relatively small but peaceful resort around 1 hour and half away from Bali airport, therefore the best way to get there is to rent a car directly at the airport. As a couple we spent here only 2 days, but we definitely enjoyed the ocean view bungalow and the pleasing environment. The bungalow was not only extremely clean and well-kept, but also very nicely designed. The only complaint is the restaurant, which is quite expensive and not as good as the general experience. Anyway I strongly suggest it to particularly to couples, but don't expect a white sandy beach since there is none (Bali in my opinion isn't the place for you if your are looking for white sandy beaches, there are much better places in Indonesia for that).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Best thing about this hotel was our taxi driver nengah 036341630, awesome and good prices, well spoken english! The staff is also exceptionally friendly and helpful.
I would NOT recommend this hotel. You should know that if you do not book the room right in front of the water #101 then it's really not worth it. The villas are very close to one another and there is no divider between them so not any privacy. It can be quite loud in the am as the noise travels from across the pool. We definitely had the best room by location? DO not pay more than $70 us dollars
The hotel is very far from restaurants and shops, first you walk down the long bumpy dirty road about 5-7 minutes than another 20 minutes to town. Didn't bother me bc I exercise everyday but just be aware.
The food along with the spa is way over priced and not good.
The free breakfast is the same every day. There is 1 set menu so it can be a bit boring. They give you a choice of how you would like your eggs and serve it with 1 small piece of a hot dog that they call a sausage, and 1 small piece of bacon . I am a vegetarian so no choices for me except a small small small teaspoon of vegetables came with the eggs, not 4 star breakfast. We had a better breakfast at inata in ubud and paid 30% less. We stayed there for 3 nights and there is no beach, you can't even get into the water from the hotel.
The pool is very nice but that is about it. The rooms are very dark at night and restaurant was not so good but not by the fault of the employee but the fact that they only had 1 person working. Sandi, whom was our server was exceptional. Actually the entire staff is great but that is not the problem. We saw on the website that our room in which we paid $70 a night was at $1400 us dollars for 3 nights. Definitely not a 4 star resort. In the rooms expect there to be a gecko and the mosquito net is dirty as well.while walking in was there is a water garden filled with tons of algae.
I also found cockroaches in the room. The bathtub is quite nice but that is about it. The beds are old and need new matresses. I have traveled and lived all over the world so I can understand when there are some things to overlook. We did not pay full price but I wouldn't dare want someone to get ripped off by paying too much money here.

Room Tip: Only book room 101 do not pay for garden villa as it is not worth it
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nirwana Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!