“Dated, the pictures look better as it's in real life, avoid” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Cumberland

You added Protea Hotel Cumberland to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Cumberland
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Srockenstroom Street | City Centre, Worcester 6850, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Worcester
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Dated, the pictures look better as it's in real life, avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Sorry for having to rate it 1 star. Although the hotel should be a 3 star there were a number of things that made it loose stars specially since I've been to other hotels in the same chain that stand far above this hotel.
It's dated, decore, rooms, maintenance, layout, the whole feel. But, hey, it was after 8 PM, tired from travelling so we checked in.
That is where things were going wrong. We were quoted one price by the staff at the counter, who admitted he was new at the job, so, no problem, take you time, get it sorted, we're patient. But, the first room we got the key could not be found for. Ok, so, the search for an other room started resulting in the room we stayed in. Parking, where, no problem, instructions given and parked at the back.
Now the room, it was located in a sort of Atrium with it's windows open to that 'Atrium' (which is nothing else as an open space now covered in a bit of a DIY fashion). So no windows to the outside and that is odd, specially if you like me love a bit of fresh outdoor air. But ok, tired so just leave it, but, came to regret next morning as that 'Atrium' echo's a lot of noise, anything noise wise that happens there get's bounced around and ends up in the room. Bathroom was ok, decent shower. But for the rest the whole room felt claustrophobic diy afterthought location. I had to ask the desk at night for a way to login to the Wifi which the attending staff could not find so they would call back. That never happened but I left it, too tired to bother.
So what else was not right, well, I was about to give 2 stars actually but we decided to go for breakfast. There was nobody to meet and greet so we just selected a table and had breakfast, which in itself was pretty good, so well I opted my review to 3 stars. However, were were on the late side but were brushed off by the manager at the end as they needed to prepare for lunch, so it was not possible to work around us to set up all tables it sounded like. Hmmm, not impressed but ok, we cooperated. Packed up, and checked out and that is where all stars evaporated. On checkin we had to pay all in advance, ok, not a problem, guess they have had people do a runner on them in the past (although this was nearly forgotten by the evening desk staff as well). But we were presented with a bill, ....., for breakfast and parking! We were not told by the evening staff breakfast was extra or an option. We were not told by the evening staff that parking was not free. So, I complained of course, why should I pay for something that were were not told about? Paid parking on the parking of the hotel, that is not of this world. I argued with the desk staff, in a friendly manner, no need to shout, and later the manager who stated she was just the manager and only doing her job. I did not want to pay for something I was not informed about. But the manager claimed not to be able to change bills, which I think is BS. Now the problem was that the car was on their locked compound as otherwise I would simply have walked out without paying. I did pay in the end to basically get the car back and be able to leave and enjoy my holiday but I will be complaining to higher management. I pay for what I sign up to pay for or what I know I will have to pay for, I don't like paying for something that I am not informed of nor can be found in their in-room information booklet (as also there nothing is mentioned on charges).
Avoid this hotel !

Room Tip: Just don't, find something else!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hannerie S, Owner at Protea Hotel Cumberland, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Spamobile,

Firstly, I wish to thank you for taking your precious time to inform us of the deviation of standards.

We wish to humbly apologise to you and your partner for the deviation.

I have owned the PH Cumberland since February 01, 1970 (43 Years) and we are very proud of the hospitality we provide our World Wide Guests.

I have personally investigated your comments and wish to inform you that you have helped us to immensely improve our service and hospitality.

Looking forward for your return for us to be able to provide you with the well-known PH Cumberland hospitality.

Have a great day

Owner/Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The last time I was at Cumberland was in 2010, I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel and now 2013 it was even more beautifully renovated. The rooms are spotlessly clean , STAFF are awesomely friendly and helpful. I really felt like a queen. The furniture at the restaurent is so warm and welcoming to top it all their food is so lovely. Coming back to the location of the hotel, excellent; WHY?? it is closer to the train station and most of the public transport one don't have to say I dont drive. Ordinary people like me can afford to stay at this hotel and get the best service I was with my grandchildren and friends from Bermuda who also enjoyed themselves. This hotel caters for every member of the family including kids and the elderly folks. You get the relaxing feeling the minute you walk in the hotel. A home away from home. The excellent service, the warm and welcoming furniture makes it worse.
. My grandchildren are already asking me, when are we going back to visit Charl, Arie,Johan and Mr Cardoso these are the managers which befriended us as my grandson asked me why are the managers working like that when they are supposed to oversee the STAFF members? To be taken around the hotel was as if we were there for sight inspection and that felt special to us. At check out time the kids were still enjoying themselves and we sat waiting oh the beautiful smiles and service re offered makes a person want to stay more , when I go back there it will be for a holiday not a week end for it is too short moreover you do not have to go out everything is here for you to enjoy. I would like to thank the STAFF and management at Protea Hotel Cumberland.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Although the Hotel doesn't seem much attractive from the outside, it is really has so much to offer once you step in. The unforgettable memories of this hotel is the excellent service from the MD and Staff.. They were genuinely friendly, energetic, professional and met all our needs during our weeks stay. The facilities such as the gym, sauna, Jacuzzi, squash court, pool and other activities offered was really awesome!! There is also a casino in the hotel for those that prefer slots. The room was clean and neat... and the beddings and towels was great!! Thank you for making out stay a pleasurable one and the greater customer service!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hannerie S, Owner at Protea Hotel Cumberland, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Gourie R

Thank you for the magnificent review , We are very proud of your comments and it is highly appreciated.

We take pride in our service delivery and our high quality of our cuisine and our accommodation.

We are delighted that you enjoy your stay with us.and are looking forward to receiving you again.

Have a great day

Kind regards

MD/Owner
Kuils River, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

After 25 years we decided to go back to where it all started. To our biggest surprise as we walked in it was nothing what we have imagined it to be.So much so that our one night stay turned out to be a weekend stay. Our focus was to enjoy the hotel and not its surroundings.

The hotel was recently renovated and the rooms make you feel at home with its living space and brand new bathrooms and extremely modern decor of dark-stained wood and some of the rooms have a private jacuzzi.They have free WIFI available in the rooms and public areas.

This hotel has a leisure centre with fully equipped gym, pool, sauna, jacuzzi, pool table and tennis court. The big TV screens allowed the rugby fanatics to watch the game in a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere in the bar area. Safe and secure parking with camera surveilance and electronic remote controlled safety gate and intercom system.

Wining and dining at the hotel is traditional, home style and elegant. The restaurant is located around the pool and their prices are very reasonable. Wide variety on breakfast buffet and an a la carte menu. They had a private function on the Saturday with 300 "oumensies" that was done in poise and elegant style to make it special for the aged.

A big thank you to the management and staff for their unbelieveable hospitality and friendliness. Arrie,(the GM on duty) and Dinelle (at reception) were of great assistance.

This hotel will definitely see us again! soon!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hannerie S, Owner at Protea Hotel Cumberland, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Cheryl T

Thank you for your most valuable review concerning our Property.
Your comments are very important to us and enables us to deliver great Hospitality to our Guests
The P H Cumberland Team, are delighted with your kind comments.
The Cumberland Team always strive do deliver Great Service, Great Food and Hospitality

Have a Great Day
Managing Director/Owner
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The hotel was quite easy to find, but offers no free secure parking. Check-in was quick enough, but once you are in the secure parking area it's a very long walk back to reception or your room.
The public facilities looked okay but we didn't try it as it was quite late.
The room was pretty standard, spacious enough and well equipped. Strange to see an old fashioned key in this day and age.
Negatives were a funny rounded shape bath bottom which made showering quite hazardous, an aircon that emitted bad smells and damp issues on the walls.
My main issue with this hotel is that it's overpriced by about 40% for what it is. For the kind of money they charge one expects better.
However, all the staff were very friendly and helpfull, and the service was very good, and for that reason alone I will consider staying here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hoteom offers a lot, from tenniscourt to sauna and from (serious) swimming pool to bar to watch the sports. Interior isfine but a bit outdated. Rooms are sufficient, Bed and sanitations are very fine (comfortable and hygienic), although airco can be noisy. Personel is very friendly.
Free nternet is availabe for up to 100mb a day.

Room Tip: Ik ben er nu twe keer geweest. Ik vond de kamers 235 en verder beter dan die in de uitbouw. Reden di...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Protea Hotel Cumberland? Share your experiences!