“R3500.00 for a room per night, surely one can expect double ply loo roll..?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Fairy Glen Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Worcester
Fairy Glen Resort
You added Fairy Glen Resort to your Saves list
Worcester, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Worcester
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“R3500.00 for a room per night, surely one can expect double ply loo roll..?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

My experience of Fairy Glen "resort", at the cost of R1800.00 per person per night, two sharing a room.

On arrival there was no barman available – this was after 4pm on what seemed like the hottest day of the year so far.

After some convincing the tour guide went to get the guests some drinks. The beers were lovely and cold but there was no bottled still water available.

We then set off for our guided nature walk. This consisted of about an 800 meter walk up a jeep track where our guide pointed out a fire fly and a couple of bushes. The walk leads to the dam wall of the Fairy Glen dam. Our guide suggested we climb to the top, as the view was spectacular.
Our guide was right, after a strenuous climb up it was a lovely view.
During this time, our guide stayed behind, swimming in the pool at the bottom of the dam wall.

Then to our room, - first I had to step over a dead bird, and then indoors I got to kill the first huge cockroach.
The rooms are grotty with broken bathroom fittings, cracked tiles and dirty bed linen. Did I mention all the cigarette buds that were lying around outside?

Dinner was “pap en sous”, braaied chicken and eight braaied steaks, for the eight guests. I went back for more pap and sous, (it was good) but the tomato relish was finished.
After requesting more relish from the chef, I was informed that some of the other guests had more than their share of relish and now it is finished.

I complained to the manager, who did not really say much.

I complained to the lady that was in charge of the rooms (she did offer us another room, but I had no hope that it would be any better, the lady did change our bed linen)

I complained to the chef – who then stared at me like I might be braaied next.

I complained to our waitress.

I asked if the owner was available, but got told no.

I also got to kill the second massive cockroach as he/she peeked at me while I was brushing my teeth the next morning.

Needless to say, I showered with my flops on.

I could go on, but it is all more of the same.
I had entered to participate in an event early the next morning at Brandvlei dam. The arranged early breakfast that I had arranged did not happen. There was no staff to be seen when we left at 7am.

We did not return for our included lunch or game drive.

Instead we stopped at Fairview and had a lovely lunch.

O ja, I did also write to the owner, Mr de Jager to complain;

His response:
“Although we wish to satisfy visitors, there is no way to do it in your case.
Thank you. PJ DE JAGER, FAIRY GLEN SAFARIS”

Room Tip: Don't go. Although there was a couple out from the UK, on their first trip to South Africa, tha...
Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Fairy Glen Private Game Reserve is 1 hour and 10 minutes drive from downtown Cape Town. It is in a malaria free zone. This is a smaller game reserve, but the Big 5 and many species of buck can be viewed. The experienced game rangers were friendly and made sure my clients saw all the animals from a very close, but yet safe distance on the 3 hour game drive. The buffet breakfast and lunch was wonderful. Halaal and vegetarian meals are available. I was surprised to see that the game reserve had Muslim prayer (salaah) facilities. I had a group from the Middle-East and they were extremely satisfied. The afternoon was spent relaxing at the swimming pool. I would recommend this game reserve to locals and foreign tourist alike, especially if you need to do a day safari with limited time.We did not sleep over, however, overnight facilities (chalets) are available. Facilities are available for students and adventure tourist.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Glos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

My family and I had a week-long vacation in Cape Town and we wanted to spend a day experiencing some of Africa's wildlife. Fairy Glen appealed because it was just over an hour or so by car from Cape Town and the reviews on trip Advisor were promising.

We booked for a morning tour and drove ourselves to the location, just off the N1 by Worcester. Plan for an 8 am arrival when breakfast is served at the lodge before embarking on your safari experience around 9 am. Our ranger was called Dennis and he was great - very experienced regarding the animals and good fun. Transport is a converted vehicle that takes about a dozen people and high enough of the ground to make you feel safe. There is also a fantastic back-drop of mountains behind the venue (my youngest son immediately though of Jurassic Park).

You get amazingly close to the animals - lions, zebra, buffalo, rhino and elephants, not forgetting that they are wild animals and you really need to respect that fact. The morning just flew by and a buffet lunch was included as part of the price.

Fairy Glen may not be the biggest venue for a safari experience but we really liked the fact that it was much more personal and less like a tourist trap. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Muskegon, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011 via mobile

Great food and quality Safari. It smaller than others but you get up close to the Big 5. Very close, i was very impressed.

• Stayed September 2011
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

As owner of Fairy Glen I refer to a complaint by a visitor on 25th May 2011 visiting Fairy Glen.

I wish to comment on this complaint:

1. From time to time we receive complaints of the same nature. It appears that a neighbor with a similar adventure for Tourism is sponsoring persons to visit Fairy Glen and then thereafter make a very bad complaint about their visit. This is a very sad problem for us the complaint was most probably drafted by the owner of the Reserve in question himself.

2. Tourists have obviously different ideas about Game Reserves and Game Farms and we understand complaints of a reasonable nature and will always attend to it.

3. Fairy Glen is a private family concern in control of about 10 000 hectare of ground in the Breede River Valley well-known for one of the best Fynbos Valleys nearest to Cape Town to be visited by tourists.

4. It is not always possible to satisfy everybody but be assured that the owners of Fairy Glen will do their best for tourists visiting South Africa.

5. Lastly, we invite Tourists to visit Fairy Glen and enjoy a real BIG FIVE Safari closest to Cape Town and an area of nature and natural beauty.

6. According to our records the complaint was from a lady from Cape Town and not from the United Kingdom – her letter of complaint is available for tourists to see if necessary.

Best Regards from the Owners of Fairy Glen Game Reserve

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Fredrikstad, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011 via mobile

I was at Fairy Glen for a day safari on friday july 16th. I can't comment on the chalets since I didn't spend the night. From the moment I arrived I was treated as a VIP and have nothing but praise for everyone I came into contact with at the establishment. The full English breakfast was great and the buffet lunch was varied and very well prepared. My guide for the day, Abrie, was attentive, knowledgeable, and took plenty of time to make sure I saw all of the animals up close, while giving lots of valuable and interesting info on them. We took a break at a beautiful and charming little chapel on the reserve, where coffe, water and snacks had been laid out for us in advance. I found the entire experience truly memorable and well worth the 1925 rand I paid, which included pickup at my hotel, breakfast, lunch, refreshments, the drive with Abrie as my guide, and a private car back to my hotel. I chose Fairy Glen on the advice of Kim-Jay at guest services at the Westin Grand Hotel and was so pleased that I gave her a bottle of port as a thank you. I was fortunate enough to meet the lovely owners and their daughter and son-in-law, who all made me feel like one of the family. It was a wonderful way to end my 10-day trip to Cape Town. If you are looking for a more intimate, personal safari experience, then I would definitely warmly reccomend the Fairy Glen. Theresa from Norway

• Stayed July 2011
Spalding, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

The overnight accommodation was very poor, aircon did not work, cracked floor tiles, uncomfortable bed, poor cleanliness. Evening nature walk was a joke, the guides did not point out items of interest - we had to do the asking - and the route as not even through a section of the fynbos which would have given items of interest. In general the area of the game park was too small and the animals did not have sufficient space or vegitation to enable them to react in a 'normal' manner. We felt very sorry for the 2 bull elephants! The park should not be allowed to keep lion as the enclosure is far too small and the lions cannot hunt.
On a positive note both the food and the restaruant service was good.
This may be the closest park to Cape Town but my adcvice is to travel further and get a real experience.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Fairy Glen Resort? Share your experiences!