“New favourite” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“New favourite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Went to Eaglevlei on a Sunday afternoon with friends and our 2yr old. Was cold and rainy outside but inside it was warm and cosy. We were welcomed by the very friendly hostess Amanda.
The service was great and the food delicious and with their very decadent desert menu, i was tempted to ignore my diet and indulge more than usual.
We will definitely return again and again.
Amanda told us about the huge plans they have to make their child friendly restaurant even better and we cant wait.
Even their kitchen closes later than normal wine farm restaurants.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Swellendam, South Africa
“Really great for families!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

To be honest, if TripAdvisor gave a button for 'good', I'd rather have given that. Not quite 'very good', but definitely better than 'average'.

We actually had a very pleasant day... the sun was shining, we sat outside, the children were completely entertained and occupied, the service was adequate and the food, well, it was interesting. I had the Vineyard breakfast, which was edible, a bit rich, but in my opinion, trying a touch too hard. My sister-in-law had a traditional 'her majesty's breakfast', which was good. The children had children's breakfasts and toasties, which they ate (this is always a plus!) and homemade ice-cream milkshakes. We did wait a while for our food, but this wasn't really a problem with the children playing happily.

So, overall, we will definitely go back, it is far superior to the Spur for a family meal.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Paarl, South Africa
“Good Prices for Ecellent Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Excellent Service and Good Food! Nice Vibe and cosy atmosphere to the place, my first visit to Eaglesvlei and definetly not our last time.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“I cant believe they can charge for such food and wine !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Someone told me about this place, but they had not actually been themselves, they had been told by someone. Anyway, I thought I would give this a shot, so I took my friend for a spot of wine tasting and lunch. I dont really know where to start, Im not in the habbit of writing on these pages, but I was so so horrified by my experience. We tried some wine tasting first, including some of the older vintages. When asked if the wines were all from the estate, the girl said no. I asked where they were from and she proudly said, oh, we just buy wine from some of the estates who cant sell all of theirs !!!! can you believe it ! and to top it off, the wine was terrible. I did not know chenin was supposed to taste like sherbert.

We thought lets skip the rest of the wine tasting and get some food, I had told everyone that the chef was one of the best in South Africa, Herbie, he's amazing I said. However, after we had been seated and asked if Herbie was in, the waitress calmly stated that he had been sacked years ago ! I was starting to feel a bit emabrresed by now.

We had a mix of a prawn starter, calamari and spring roll, all were sent back. The mains were burger, Hake and pork belly. I love prok belly and Herbie used to make an amazing pork belly, this was like microwaved rubber.

All in all, I will never, never go there again, it was probably one of the worst experiences I have ever had on a wine farm. I was so looking forward to the ingenious cooking of Herbie and instead I was presented with a menu which could have fitted in at Macdonnalds and wine that quite frankly, I could have made. The worst bit was they demanded payment for the food and wine.

If you want my advice, steer well clear, in fact go to steer, you would be better off.

John

• Visited September 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Slow and disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Lovely for kids - just a pity about the service and food. The slow service is probably not the waiters' fault. It seems the kitchen was extremely slow in dishing up the unappetising meals that sounded better on paper than in reality. Hidden in an excess of batter the calamari and prawn dishes were either tasteless or too spicy (depending on the meal ordered.) The butternut soup was uninspiring and the risotto that accompanied the prawn starter inedible. Overall we were left questioning whether there was a chef in the kitchen at all. Would consider going back just so the kids can run around and play on the amazing jungle gym but next time I'll just stick to a cup of coffee.

• Visited August 2011