“Restaurant closed his doors permanently” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Restaurant closed his doors permanently”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Umami doesn't exist anymore. Umami was a great business when it came to food, service and ambiance, but is wasn't busy enough. I wish you the best Toerie, the restaurant was fantastic and I really enjoyed every evening we spended there. Maybe again in the future?

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Belo Horizonte, MG
“Great food and place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The place is very simple and the environment is amazing. The food tastes very good (one of the best I had in my vacation trip in South Africa) and the waiter was very kind. He gave us lots of maps and suggestions about the winelands that helped a lot when exploring the place.

Visited June 2013
Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
“Gastronomic Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Umami offers a pleasant warm welcome on each visit. The menu changes seasonally and only the freshest ingredients are utilised in their preparation. A choice of either ala carte or a five course tasting menu makes Umami the perfect choice for any occasion. Special lunch menu for those quick business meetings at great prices. Save space for desert!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ate at Umami last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Excellent food and good wines served by knowledgable staff. Small menu only downside. Cozy atmosphere.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stavanger, Norway
“Booked:yes - then no”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had booked a table for 9. Some days later we received an email that they did not have room for us anymore. Very disappointing as we liked umami from last time. We suspect they let us down since we had children with us.

Visited June 2013
Toerie, Owner at UMAMI Restaurant, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Marta made the booking for the 1st of June via e-mail on the 22nd of May, to which I confirmed.
I only realized the next day that we previously made a booking for 27 guests a week prior to her booking, which meant that we were fully booked. The big group's booking was never written down because I know the guest well. Off course I made a mistake by not writing it down. (We are very quiet this time of the year and I didn't think it necessary.)

On the 24th of May I wrote Marta a sincere apology explaining my mistake. She replied "it is a pity, But I understand" and that Umami was her first choice. Marta also asked for other suggestions, and I replied with the names of 10 other restaurants in the area and more info about them.

Marta and her family were at Umami before and enjoyed it very much, but thought that we were not really catering for children.
This is not true. We have a small kiddies menu available, and often have kids at Umami. We do have white table cloths, wine glasses set at the tables, and is seen as a fine dining restaurant by the public. But I have always welcomed children, having a 1 and 3 year old daughter myself!
I think it completely unfair to rate 1 star on Tripadvisor if Marta assumed that we didn't want her group because of kids, and this after replying that she understood our situation.
And she didn't even have dinner at Umami on said evening.

My apologies again for double booking her a week before her dinner, but disappointed in her assumption, and rating us 1 star for an honest mistake.

Toerie