“Home @ Western Cape” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 106 Stellenbosch B&B and Inns
Mol, Belgium
“Home @ Western Cape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I cannot imagine a better place to go to for exploring the Western Cape. It is a beautiful house, the rooms are absolutely great, the view over Stellenbosch is stunning and Annemarie, Jan and their staff - as always - have gone all the way making us feel perfectly at home.

Room Tip: My personal preference goes to the Lion. It is a large, light room which overlooks the garden and po...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have stayed at Allegria three times over the past 5 years - it's a great place to enjoy all that the Cape Winelands has to offer.
Jan and Annemarie are really good hosts and maintain their very high standards. We have stayed three times in the "elephant" room - some of the others are a bit smaller.
Breakfast is fantastic - the pool is terrific - the whole mood is easy-going.
Oh, yes, they make great wine from their own vineyards!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed here for three days whilst on a business trip and I wish I could have taken my entire family with me! The rooms are beatifully decorated and the attention to detail such as home-made bread and jams at breakfast are a delight. I liked how the hosts make their own wine but also supply that of their neighbours as well. This is a lovely little slice of African paradise and I look forward to returning...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Nelspruit, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a very hard review to write, as I’m torn. The venue, room, breakfast, view was superb, value for money very good, the owners/managers pleasant, they have a turn down service, which is really nice if you out late, and for these reasons I’m really happy I booked in. However I left Allegria with mixed feelings, which is sad. There is an excellent little restaurant close by called Skildpadvlei, well worth a dinner there, and only 750m away.

Annemarie even stored some goods I had been traveling with and prepared me a take away breakfast for my early morning flight home! The only grey area would be when I asked for an extra blanket. I went into the office area, and the sweet dog growled at me, which made me very uneasy. After walking around me a couple of times, Annemarie came to look, I don’t think the dog would have bitten me, I think I may have startled the dog coming in the doors. But no harm done.

After asking for a blanket, the reply I got was: ‘unbelievable, you had the heater on last night, a blanket and a duvet’, this made me feel very uncomfortable, almost like I was being told off for using the heater, (which I used until about 12pm and restarted it at about 4am), and then asking for another blanket. The heater I refer to is the air-con which is turned to 30°C, however don’t be fooled it doesn’t warm the room up as much as you would think. The remark I felt was somewhat uncalled for, and there’s no need to make people feel uncomfortable if it’s your business to make them comfortable. Added to this I thought comment a little unfair, as each night there was a blazing fire in the owners/managers cottage, clearly visible when parking your car. I come from a much warmer climate and have trouble adjusting to the cold.

Also the hot water pressure in the bath is bad (the shower and basins were fine which is strange as I would think they run from the same water pipe), I actually considered phoning the owners/managers to come fix it, but it was late, raining, and cold, and I didn’t want to bother them.
Thus I left with very mixed feeling of Allegria, would I go back I think so, in summer mind you. Would I recommend it to other people, yes, it is really a beautiful place to stay, and very good value for money! But I personaly would try to avoid the dog and asking for another blanket :)

Room Tip: Rhino room is great!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Almere, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Fantastic place to be and discover all the wine area's....
Anja and Henk make us feel very welcome and gave us lots of tips.

So when you love wine, flowers and friendly people you must stay at this Guesthouse

Room Tip: All rooms are good but some of them hace a bathtub with a stunning view!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Fantastic place to begin a nice adventure in South Africa....lounging by the pool (which overlooks the vineyards) to recover from the jet-lag....

Extremely helpful in assisting us with dinner reservations for the top restaurants in the area (some of which happen to be considered top in the world according to Conde Nast!).....yummm....

Definitely plan to return....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

We booked here very last minute and lucked out!
Gorgeous rooms that were spotless and had excellent shower pressure (very important :o) )
Our collective breath was taken away by the amazing view over the pool out to the vineyards. Spectacular.
The beautiful thing about this place was the people running it. They had such good advice and organised it all for us and just made things so easy.
It was the perfect place to just relax and enjoy Stellenbosch.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Allegria Guesthouse? Share your experiences!