Stayed in the River Manor guesthouse for two nights during our honeymoon in October 2010. This review is from notes made during my trip.
We’d heard so much about Stellenbosch, our expectations were quite high. We arrived at the River Manor on the outskirts of this small town to be met by a gaggle of welcoming staff and the manager.
The house is pleasant and laid back, with a distinctly old colonial feel. It’s actually two houses separated by a beautiful courtyard, garden and pool area. We got the honeymoon suite which was a decent sized room with a giant bathroom and small balcony to the front of the house. The whole place has a bright yet cosy feel.
Can’t remember the manager’s name but he was terrifically helpful with dining suggestions and other activities. He made a point of looking through our itinerary and recommending good restaurants for later in our trip.
That first night we dined at the Big Easy restaurant on nearby Dorp Street, named after co-owner golfer Ernie Els. The food was exceptional. Like other restaurants we’d been to in SA, the décor was lavish and tasteful. The clientele were informally dressed and often include kids.
The following day, we were booked on a wine tasting trip, which despite our reservations turned out to be a real hoot.
We warmed to the River Manor and were sorry to leave. It was comfortable and atmospheric with a fabulous old colonial feel. The garden and pool area is majestic, a great place to lounge away a few hours. The service could have been swifter but otherwise, it was hard to fault. The little leather key ring they gave me still brings back fond memories.
- Also Known As:
- River Manor Boutique Hotel Stellenbosch
- River Manor Boutique Hotel And Spa
- River Manor Boutique Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- River Manor is nestled in the heart of Stellenboch and the Western Cape Winelands. Set across from the Eerste River, in a peaceful avenue of Oak trees, just a short stroll from the village centre, with its museums, street cafés, and galleries, allowing guests to delight in a truly unique Stellenbosch experience.Elegantly furnished in a Contemporary Colonial Style, with personal service and attention to detail - the, wrap-around verandas, two swimming pools, a Studio Spa and secluded gardens, exude an atmosphere of luxury and privacy allowing for relaxation and comfort. A light and seasonal menu is offered at “Taste” enjoyed in the shade of the garden or in the Conservatory, complimented by a charming “Garden Bar”.Stylish rooms combine the conveniences of home with superior comforts, fruit details, bathrobes, Port and Sherry trays and evening turndowns, an experience of a bygone era. Not forgetting necessary modern conveniences of minibars, in room safes, tea and coffee trays, Wifi, overhead ceiling fans and air-conditioning.After leisurely poolside breakfasts, guests may enjoy guided Wine Tours departing daily from River Manor, or take a self drive through the majestic countryside to nearby golf courses, Franschhoek, Cape Town or Hermanus - to return to the sunny terrace to view a beautiful African sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Venere and Otel so you can book your River Manor Boutique Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.