My wife and I (mid 50s) and our son (13) had 2 stays in the Lanzerac one for 4 days and the other 1 day. The first stay we were in rooms 225/227 which were both double rooms in an annexe about 20yds from the main building. Each room was well equipped and spacious but not quite big enough to have a third bed. Both rooms had a patio which opened out into the vinyard about 20yds away (the hotel is part of a vinyard complex and complimentary wine tasting is offered - it is a bit mean to only offer 3 glasses each (tasted 6 when we shared glasses) when there are only about 10 wines available. They do a classy kitchen/BBQ apron for R100 which is a good souvenir/present. The bathrooms were of a generous size with a standalone iron bath and there were 2 wash-hand basins. Bath robes supplied. There were 2 pools convenient to our rooms but being outdoor and winter we were not brave enough to try them.
The other rooms we used were 001 and 003 which felt slightly smaller and overlooked a pool with about 20 other rooms. The bath was built in.
Accommodation was of a very high standard, the rooms clean and well maintained - only criticism is that the windows tend to be small and the lighting is not the strongest so the rooms can feel a bit dark - maybe winter and a bit over critical.
We had the use of the swimming pool in the spa complex - the pool is warm and the jacuzzi is if anything too hot 40c. My wife had a spa treatment R490 which she really enjoyed and considered really excellent value
The restaurant is in the main building and is what you would expect in an old Dutch cape manor house - oil portraits, wooden panelling and comfortable chairs to have your coffee after the meal.
The breakfasts are not wanting in any way and are the best I have ever had. Choice of juices, fruits, nuts etc, cereal, cold meats/cheese, breads/croissants - the fry was freshly cooked most days but on the other day it was self service (you could have your eggs freshly cooked) - all was of the highest standard
We dined Table d'Hote all evenings R160 pp - the food tended towards nouvelle cuisine which is not my style but of a very high standard. Meal consisted of an appetiser, starter, sorbet, main course and sweet. One left the table leaving a clean plate, full but not gorged. As we found generally in SA steaks were really excellent and generous. The wine list was mainly local SA and extensive except for a page of very expensive imported mainly French wines. Wines which we found very drinkable started about R100 - soft drinks were about R10.
There is free internet access available in the landing above the reception
Reception was excellent and efficient and being a relatively small hotel our name and room nos were known by all the reception staff - impressive
The hotel was extremely well staffed and were pleasant and helpful at all times. Despite being winter the hotel was quite busy - the restaurant was nearly full most nights.
A very well run hotel and I find it difficult to comprehend how anyone could be critical of a stay. We found our stay at the hotel most relaxing and there is a reasonable amount for tourists to do in the vicinity. The hotel is located on the edge of Stellenbosch (centre 5 mins by car) in the countryside.
Definitely one of the best hotels we have stayed in, if not the best - definitely 5* - our visit lived up to the expectation we had from their website if not exceeded it
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of a 155ha working wine estate, on the outskirts of picturesque Stellenbosch, the historic 300-year-old Lanzerac Hotel & Spa is the perfect base from which to explore SA’s most famous winelands. With just 48 luxurious bedrooms, this 180-year-old Manor House exudes an air of intimacy and provides the ultimate in personalized service.The hotel’s fine-dining restaurant with several different dining areas offers guests a wide choice of culinary styles. Guests end their evenings over coffees, liqueurs, cognacs and cigars enjoyed either in the trendy Esquire Whiskey & Cigar Bar or in the elegant Craven Lounge with its genuine antiques and authentic Cape Dutch architecture. Whilst the historic Manor House provides an ideal venue for private in-or-outdoor conferences and functions, the picturesque setting of the Manor Lawns offers the perfect opportunity for exclusive outdoor events and lavish weddings. Leisure activities include swimming in one of the hotel’s 3 outdoor pools, golfing, hiking and mountain biking, wine tasting and cellar tours. Treatments at the world-class Lanzerac Spa & Wellness Center take place against a stunning backdrop of mountains and vineyards, ensuring you leave feeling relaxed and rejuvenated. The spa has recently added the revolutionary “Dr.Fish” Therapy to its repertoire, where tiny fish are utilized to exfoliate the skin and give it a micro-massage. Come and experience true South African heritage, first-class service and luxury, superior pampering and wellness! We’ve been preparing for your arrival for over 300 years! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Despegar.com and Priceline so you can book your Lanzerac Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lanzerac Manor And Winery Hotel Stellenbosch
- Lanzerac Manor And Winery Stellenbosch