“very disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lanzerac Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Lanzerac Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Lanzerac Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lanzerac Road | PO Box 4, Stellenbosch 7599, South Africa   |
Ranked #7 of 17 hotels in Stellenbosch
Paris, France
“very disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

One thing is for sure : the location is perfect and the estate beautiful, surrounded by mountains and vineyards. But as far as the rest is concerned ... First, the place is not clean : mold in the swimming pool, dirty linens, stained towels, ... Then, the service is no good : the only thing I asked for was to make a reservation for a music festival : they could get any ticket - which is not their fault, but did call me to give me the information ! I had to call back to find out, and then they did not give me any advice to make other arrangements . Breakfast time : no one is there to tell you what to do or where to sit; and then, after a while, you have to almost grab a waiter to get coffee. We stayed in that place right after staying in Cape Grace : the difference of quality is stoning, especially for two hotels of the same range.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the vineyards : the view is beautiful
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Wow. We booked the Presidential Suite for our wedding which took place in the private garden of the suite. The suite was absolutely huge, and the garden was stunning. The staff had organised beautiful flowers and had decorated the garden even with fairy lights. It was a perfect setting. The service was impeccable, and following the wedding we had dinner in our garden. The next morning we had a delicious breakfast in the garden, savouring the last moments of our stay in this amazing place. The children had a lot of room to run around the garden, while we enjoyed the food and wine.

Room Tip: The Presidential Suite with it's own garden is stunning
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Helen's Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife & I stayed at the Lanzerac over The New Year period. The staff couldn't do enough to make sure we had an enjoyable stay and went out of their way to ensure we had a good time, recommending a number of restaurants, winery's and locations to hire mountain bikes. We stayed in a superior room that shared a swimming pool with two other rooms. The room in general was large and extremely comfortable. Despite being a little bit 'frayed' around the edges the rooms were characterful and pleasant. Our kids 17 & 19 shared a standard room which was also of a very good size. We ate in the restaurant every evening. The menu was varied and offer a choice of three choices on each course. On New Years Eve the hotel laid on a splendid seven course gala dinner. The setting of the hotel s superb and idyllic.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Somebody once said, "Travelling is like flirting with life!". It's like saying, "I would stay and love you, but I have to go ...".

My first few hours away from home, felt more like a fight with a boyfriend than flirting with life ... my flight was delayed, I waited two hours for directions to an office to drop off a parcel, I got lost, etc and for a moment I feared that my expectations won't be met!

Very irritable, exhausted and in no mood for a holiday, I entered the foyer of the Lanzerac Hotel ... I was taken aback by the ambience, grace and elegance. Then I knew that my few days were going to become my most precious memory.

From the moment my luggage was effortlessly swooped up in front of me, I was escorted into the lobby and the experience began ...

The hospitality, capability and warmth that I experienced with the staff were so precious that it made me feel that even though the music stopped, they kept on dancing!

The peace and fulfilment I have experienced, will be a treasured memory forever!

I had to leave, but will be back to fall in love with Lanzerac all over again ...

Ranien

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We returned to the Lanzerac on honeymoon after having a brilliant stay there 5 years ago. Unfortunately, it seems that little to no maintenance has been done to the rooms in that time. The carpets were stained, the towel rail browning at the joints and two of the sheets on our bed had blood stains on them. Having said that the location is stunning and we got a good night's sleep. On balance, the hotel needs to drop it's room rates or invest in maintenance as you can get better value for money in the area.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5Jo_Anna5, Guest Relations Manager at Lanzerac Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to comment. Our sincere apologies that you deem the maintenance in need of attention. Please be reassured that the hotel has recently been sold, and a comprehensive maintenance plan is in place for external maintenance, as well as soft refurbishments. We invite you to return in the not too distant future to relive the honeymoon memories you hold so dear.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I went to stay for just one night and wished it was for 100. The estate is very beautiful and the old buildings grand and rich in history. Our room was huge and beautifully appointed. It had a small balcony which looked out the rear to he lovely greenery so my husband enjoyed a cigar and brandy out there and just loved the natural glory of the clear country sky.
We had already enjoyed a huge late lunch so were happy to have a drink at the old bar and soak up the atmosphere. The we were delighted that we were the only ones in the dining area - we snuggled up in front of the arm fire and enjoyed a fantastic estate bottle of red and a platter of cheese. In the morning it was another fabulous feast of breakfast with all the trimmings.
We then went to get pampered in the spa and loved the foot massage!
We would go back there in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The white historical Dutch building is so beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

we spent there only one night and enjoyed every single minute, great property, nice room, friendly service, good value for money. Would suggest to improve the restaurant that is on a good level but compared to the rest of the einvoirenment need an extra step.

Room Tip: we stayed in the cottage, spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lanzerac Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!