“Flirting with life!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lanzerac Hotel & Spa

You added Lanzerac Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Lanzerac Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lanzerac Road | PO Box 4, Stellenbosch 7599, South Africa   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Pretoria, South Africa
“Flirting with life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Somebody once said, "Travelling is like flirting with life!". It's like saying, "I would stay and love you, but I have to go ...".

My first few hours away from home, felt more like a fight with a boyfriend than flirting with life ... my flight was delayed, I waited two hours for directions to an office to drop off a parcel, I got lost, etc and for a moment I feared that my expectations won't be met!

Very irritable, exhausted and in no mood for a holiday, I entered the foyer of the Lanzerac Hotel ... I was taken aback by the ambience, grace and elegance. Then I knew that my few days were going to become my most precious memory.

From the moment my luggage was effortlessly swooped up in front of me, I was escorted into the lobby and the experience began ...

The hospitality, capability and warmth that I experienced with the staff were so precious that it made me feel that even though the music stopped, they kept on dancing!

The peace and fulfilment I have experienced, will be a treasured memory forever!

I had to leave, but will be back to fall in love with Lanzerac all over again ...

Ranien

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We returned to the Lanzerac on honeymoon after having a brilliant stay there 5 years ago. Unfortunately, it seems that little to no maintenance has been done to the rooms in that time. The carpets were stained, the towel rail browning at the joints and two of the sheets on our bed had blood stains on them. Having said that the location is stunning and we got a good night's sleep. On balance, the hotel needs to drop it's room rates or invest in maintenance as you can get better value for money in the area.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5Jo_Anna5, Guest Relations Manager at Lanzerac Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to comment. Our sincere apologies that you deem the maintenance in need of attention. Please be reassured that the hotel has recently been sold, and a comprehensive maintenance plan is in place for external maintenance, as well as soft refurbishments. We invite you to return in the not too distant future to relive the honeymoon memories you hold so dear.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I went to stay for just one night and wished it was for 100. The estate is very beautiful and the old buildings grand and rich in history. Our room was huge and beautifully appointed. It had a small balcony which looked out the rear to he lovely greenery so my husband enjoyed a cigar and brandy out there and just loved the natural glory of the clear country sky.
We had already enjoyed a huge late lunch so were happy to have a drink at the old bar and soak up the atmosphere. The we were delighted that we were the only ones in the dining area - we snuggled up in front of the arm fire and enjoyed a fantastic estate bottle of red and a platter of cheese. In the morning it was another fabulous feast of breakfast with all the trimmings.
We then went to get pampered in the spa and loved the foot massage!
We would go back there in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The white historical Dutch building is so beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

we spent there only one night and enjoyed every single minute, great property, nice room, friendly service, good value for money. Would suggest to improve the restaurant that is on a good level but compared to the rest of the einvoirenment need an extra step.

Room Tip: we stayed in the cottage, spacious and comfortable
Hasselt, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Without a shadow of a doubt, we can say that the Lanzerac has a unique feature which makes it different from any other 5 star hotel, and that is : the staff. Never have we seen a hotel where éverybody is so friendly, and makes so much efforts to make the guest's stay as comfortable as possible. And when we say everybody, we really mean éverybody. Housekeeping, kitchen, restaurant staff, reception, maintenance, gardeners, managers, well, éverybody at the hotel works with passion and loyalty for "their" hotel and "their" guests. This results in an excellent and personalised service which you can rarely find, even in the most luxurious hotels in the world. We just felt "at home" during our 3-week stay. And, not to be forgotten, our compliments to chef Stephen Fraser and his fantastic team, who succeeded in surprising us every night for 3 weeks in a row, with the most exquisite dishes !! Thanks, Stephen, Archie & the kitchen gang :-)

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

A good location for spending a weekend exploring the region, not really up to five star rating, or the price. The views are fantastic, but the rooms are now getting a little tired. Although the service at he restaurant was great the fish my friend had was overcooked, perhaps to hide hat it was not so fresh. My porkbelly was tasty but dry.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay here there are much better properties that I would try this place is very tired but when upgraded it will be back on. The rooms are old and musty very clean though I felt as if I was sleeping in someone's attic with a bed that was lumpy and had seen better days. The wine is good and the restaurant was great for lunch but avoid dinner this area has fantastic restaurants at surrounding wineries that should not be missed.
The grounds at this hotel are not kept up u can tell as the grass is all dead the pool lounges were filthy this hotel I would say would be for a budget traveller
Its to bad they should call the four seasons hotel chain to come and resue them!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lanzerac Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!