“Excellent customer service by all staff” 5 of 5 stars

Spier Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   R310, Stellenbosch 7599, South Africa   |
Ranked #5 of 17 hotels in Stellenbosch
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Excellent customer service by all staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife, 4-year-old daughter & I had the pleasure of staying here for a 'weekend away'. As a business traveller, I have had the opportunity to stay with many hotels - yet NONE have provided the excellent and amazing customer service that I received at Spier Hotel. I hate to be so easily influenced but the fact is that if you treat my wife & daughter well, I'm a happy man. The staff at Spier Hotel treated my daughter like a princess! They were happy to help us with an extra bed and to have conversations with my daughter at every opportunity. I must commend you on the attention paid to my family - whatever customer service training you are using is brilliant & I hope you keep this up!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Spier2011, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Marcel O

Thank you for the delightful feedback, my team and I are always thrilled to read feedback from our guest. One would normally use complaints in training, but giving recognition is just as valuable in a training environment and your comments will be included in future training.

We have in the past year introduced a customer focused training initiative that every staff member has attended. We developed a programme called My Customer, My Pride which links guest satisfaction back to our values. We have been pleasantly surprised by the results.

Kind regards
Wayne Siepman

479 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Mossel Bay, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I would highly recommend Spier to both local and international guests. Their staff are super friendly and helpful. The rooms are superb. The hotel has a lot to offer and is in a beautiful part of the country. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and would do again any time, just hopefully for longer next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Umtentweni
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I really enjoyed my time here. The conference facilities were very good. The service was also very good in the conference venue and the food was absolutely magnificent.
The hotel rooms feel a bit "cold" to me, however, they are large and spacious. I also felt that they were very dark.
The bathrooms are very big and there was always hot water.
We had one of our evening functions at Moyo Restaurant and it was really good. The food was brilliant (especially the calamari), the entertainment was amazing and the staff were great.
Make sure you check your bar fridge when you check in and report anything that is not there. We checked our bar fridge and noticed that the list said 2 bottles of wine but there wasn't any at all. We were going to tell reception on our way past to the evening function venue but got a golf buggy to the venue as it was raining and completely forgot about it. The next afternoon we remembered and then looked in the fridge again and noticed that there was now one bottle of wine in it. We phoned reception immediately and reported it and they said they would note it. Needless to say, when we went to check out, they wanted to charge us for the wine in our room. All I can say is, report it immediately and take down the name of the person you spoke to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Fish Hoek, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and had a wonderful time, the hotel is very well situated in the heart of the Wine area of Cape Town while still being close to Cape Town to go into the City.
The rooms were huge, with a wonderful gas heater to take off any early evening chill, the bathrooms were also huge with a really great power shower, and gorgeous toiletry's. The staff were very friendly and were super efficient when ever I needed their help with Golf Buggies always on hand to drive us to our conference venue. I had great food at Moyo, which was plentiful and tasty, served by their excellent staff, it had a great African atmosphere to the dinner, with tribal dancing and face painting. All in all it was a very well organized and great experience, although the only down side is the lack of Wi-Fi - they say they have it, and even gave me a voucher to access it, but I never once managed to pick it up to make use of it, this was a problem as I need constant access to the internet and not having Wi-Fi did stress me out a bit.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty with stairs - take a downstairs room as the stairs to the upper floors are qu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We spent six lovely days at Spier and enjoyed every minute. From the moment of our arrival, we were greeted with warm smiles by accommodating, lovely, staff. Our luggage was taken from our shuttle driver and delivered to our room. Lebo and the other staff at the desk were helpful and polite at check-in and every time we inquired about anything. The guest rooms are laid out village style with pedestrian streets and common courtyards with pools. Our second floor room was large and simply decorated with a small balcony overlooking the courtyard. Our bath was spacious with both shower and a large soaking tub. The buildings seemed well maintained and clean, the grounds were remarkable. The main building is a short pleasant walk from the guest rooms and there is golf cart transport available if requested. The conference center is a few minutes' walk from the guest rooms.
The service we received in the hotel restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner was superb, we were always greeted with a pleasant smile and the staff was always very accommodating. The service and meals at the conference center were as good as at the main hotel. Spier is a working farm, everything was fresh and organic, and all of our meals were plentiful and exceptional at very reasonable prices.
During our stay we visited The Eagle Encounter, and did the Segway Tour, both were loads of fun. The Eagle Encounter was very educational and we saw many birds of prey that were being rehabilitated or kept for educational purposes because they could not be rehabilitated. The Segway tour was a totally new adventure for us and was most enjoyable. After a short training session to learn how to maneuver the machine and how to step off if you felt it was getting away from you; we were off. After a short distance with our guide watching our progress on the machines, we stopped and he switched the machines to allow them to go a little faster so we could go up the hills. We ventured through the vineyard, during the tour Prince told us about the water reclamation center, growing organic vegetables, the grape harvesting and so much more. We also took several walks around the beautiful grounds, along the river and the gorgeous lake. It would be hard to find another hotel that offers such excitement and relaxation in one location. We would definitely recommend Spier for a conference or relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: First floor rooms have a nice patio with easy access to the pool; however, you may forfeit some priv...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Spier was a great business venue. Facilities were all good, the food was plentiful and nice, the wine was excellent!

Felt really welcoming and comfortable - probably the most relaxing business trip I've had in a long time.

But... the service is equally relaxed. Very good and friendly but don't expect things to arrive quickly!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road - it's not too noisy but occasionally a truck will pass and di...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is less of a review and more of BIG thank you to the Spier Hotel Restaurant & Wine Bar for accommodating our group of 14 friends on the 99th minute for a spectacular birthday celebration.

Due to some rather unforeseen circumstances, called them about 1 hour before lunch and was very happy to hear that they could accommodate us. The day was great and when we arrived the table was ready and waiting. They also have huge cushy seats outside and we were welcome to lounge in the sun with our drinks before placing our orders.

The waiter was great (even thou we were probably a bit much for him - lol) and all in all we really appreciated the hospitality, good food and fantastic service all round. Definitely a day to remember!! THANKS again :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Spier Hotel? Share your experiences!