“Not what it used to be” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 105 things to do in Stellenbosch
More attraction details
Owner description: The House of JC Le Roux was South Africa's first cellar dedicated entirely to the craft of making fun, loving sparkling wines and award winning vintage Cap Classiques for a range of tastes that uplift the mood and add style to any occasion. There is a range of tasting experiences, with the Bubbly and Nougat Pairing being the most popular. Enjoy breakfast or lunch at Le Venue restaurant, which is also hosts weddings, private functions and conferences.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
7 attraction reviews
“Not what it used to be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

It's a pity that I didn't have the opportunity to write a review on JC le Roux a year or two ago. A year or two ago, the tastings were conducted by people who were well informed and the focus was on the wines. Things have certainly changed.

I revisited the House of JC le Roux after they completed their renovations in December. I was disappointed to find how much things had changed. The focus now seems to be squarely on satisfying large tourist groups. It has lost the personal touch that it used to have.

We used to bring colleagues and friends to JC le Roux to enjoy either the sparkling wine or MCC tasting. During the recent visit, the staff didn't seem to know what the MCC tasting was anymore or what wines were included. The "MCC tasting" which was then given to us included two sweet sparkling wines - that is hardly the best way to impress customers with an MCC tasting.

It seems that one can't really do the MCC tasting anymore? It is also no longer possible to taste the Scintilla, we were told, which is the flagship MCC at JC le Roux. This seems terribly strange. Couldn't one simply pay a higher or separate tasting fee to taste the Scintilla as many other farms do with their flagship wines?

The staff were clearly new because they could offer only bland, rehearsed information about the wines. The were very friendly but this is not acceptable for anyone who is actually coming to buy wine for the sake of buying good wine. You are forced to have either the marshmallow or nougat tastings and, in my view, the flavours totally overpower the wines. The presentation looks gorgeous and the nougat and marshmallows are indeed delicious - BUT we came for the wine. The wine we were served was actually quite warm AND it had obviously been allowed to stand open for some time because some were totally flat. The person assisting us apologised for this but did nothing else.

I'm sure that inexperienced wine drinkers and young adults looking for typical CT entertainment will continue to flock to JC le Roux and be impressed by the beautiful venue and the pretty design of the tastings - yet I can't help but feel that JC le Roux has forgotten about its customers who bought their MCCs because they were good, not just for the sake of drinking.

I will not recommend this tasting to anyone who takes their wine a little more seriously. It's tailored to students and tourists only. What a pity when one remembers how it used to be. Why does the farm not offer a separate tasting, at a higher cost with more personalised service? I suggest that they look at what a place like Fairview offers as their "master tasting". I really think people will pay more for better wine and better service, if that is what they came for.

Visited December 2012

Singapore, Singapore
4 attraction reviews
“Sparkling wine and nougat - great combo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Estate continues to develop into a well established glitzy stop on the wine route.
We went tasting, and the staff were both knowledgeable and very friendly.

The formula works well, and the mix of wines and sweet is a great way to sample their range of wines.
Well worth the visit.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
84 attraction reviews
“Loved lunch and sparkling wine and nougat pairing--delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We had a late lunch followed by the sparkling wine and nougat pairing--definitely recommend doing this! Lunch was tasty and decently priced--I don't believe any entree was over 85 ZAR. My friends enjoyed their salads and toasted sandwiches and the service was pleasant. Doing the sparkling wine and nougat pairing afterwards was a great, indulgent dessert. For 65 ZAR you sample five varieties of wine with samples of chocolate and other confectionaries--loved it! Our 'guide' wondered off during our tasting to assist another group, but we didn't care too much--it was still delightful!

Visited July 2012
Pretoria
10 attraction reviews
“Really disappointed in the House of JC Le Roux”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

One thing I always have in my house is at least one case of champagne. I believe that everyday is a celebration. And so I have collected various bottles from everywhere to savour for that special occasion. I recently stayed at a hotel in Devon Valley Road and was so excited when I saw the sign saying that JC Le Roux was right next door. I made it my mission to go there and was really disappointed by the heavy pricing and limited range. If I had known ahead of time, I would have gone to the nearest Pick 'n Pay instead. It is probably great for the tourists but if you're a local, don't have too high hopes.

Cape Town
17 attraction reviews
“Seasons.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I've been lucky enough to have had breakfast and lunch at Seasons restaurant located at the House of J.C. le Roux on more than one occasion and I have yet to be disappointed.

The food has always been good and the service.

Not a huge menu but what they do serve is good. I like the spicy lamb burger! The prawn burger which was eaten by my Mom also got the thumbs up!

On the day that we had lunch they were serving this delicious flat bread topped with caramelized onions, garlic and course sea salt prior to the main meal and on asking the waiter if they sold the bread we were told no it's not for sale. The waiter however took the initiative and spoke to the chef who was more than happy for us to decide on a price per block to buy! We were very happy that evening when we scoffed down the yummy bread at home!

The House of J.C. le Roux is wheelchair accessible. They have 2 disabled parking bays. Downstairs there's an accessible toilet (very clean). To get to Seasons restaurant if you are in a wheelchair you need to go through a side room which has one of those platform type lifts which takes you up to the next floor. To get to the platform can be a bit of a tight squeeze if the room you go through is busy but the staff are more than happy to help. Once the platform is at the next floor it’s just a matter of going through 2 doors and you’re in the restaurant which is very accessible and very pretty. The outside seating is also accessible.

And the view of the vineyards and mountains is just spectacular!

I look forward to my next visit!

Visited July 2012