“Absolutely wonderful !” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 163 restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: European, Delicatessen, French, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Airy and light, the restaurant overlooks lush gardens and leads onto a sheltered terrace for alfresco dining. It is in this stimulating setting that resident chef Tanja Kruger presents her menu of fresh, modern cuisine grounded in the French classics. Tanja has enormous respect for the quality and provenance of each ingredient that comes into her kitchen and takes pride in working with ethical producers and suppliers who share her philosophy of excellence. ‘I am working more and more with raw vegetables, fruits and flowers'. Complementing Makaron Restaurant is M Bar, an inviting lounge-style bar with the decadent ambience of a Parisian salon.
Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Absolutely wonderful !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I'm a local wine tour guide from Stellenbosch and have the privilege of dining often at some of the top restaurants this part of the world has to offer. For my birthday my husband asked me where I would like to go and celebrate for the evening. I chose Makaron Restaurant for the first time based on all the wonderful reviews I receive from my tourists. I've also read about their stunning menu & innovative chef. We were not disappointed at all! We were warmly welcomed by David and also the sommelier, Josephine. We had cocktails in the beautiful lounge (best Moijto according to my husband) and enjoyed the stunning 'bar-snacks'! What a delightful evening, excellent service and even great food! The riddle was excellent, we also loved the dessert with the pine needles!The chef was outstanding with all sorts of surprises throughout the evening! The staff was well trained and was able to explain any questions we had regarding the cooking methods. Thank you for making my birthday so special! My number 1 restaurant in the country! Anel de Villiers

• Visited October 2013

85% Recommend
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“An outstading experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have eaten here four times over the last couple of years and cannot understand the few poor reviews. Josephine the sommelier is very knowledgeable and her advice on the wine and the food should be taken. The service staff are second to none. The chef is something special. We must have had twenty different courses over the time and there is always something new and unique to test the taste buds. Having eaten Michelin I do feel she is virtually in the same league. Always quiet for lunch which suits us but it should really be packed. The food is excellent. Don't be swayed by the reviews, try it, be surpised and judge for yourself. some say it is expensive but the amuse bouche ( several of them ) are worth a couple of hundred rands alone.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Spectacular Evening Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We enjoyed a most spectacular evening of dining at the wonderful Makaron. From the Pre-drinks in M-Lounge to the late night coffee's, the evening was truly a dining experience for the senses.
Tanya Kruger and her team have really excelled themselves in their exemplary culinary experience of the new menu.
It is one of my most favorite places to treat guests to a special evening out.
Congratulations Makaron Team, we will be back!

• Visited September 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
“Blown away by the food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was an amazing experience, from the minute we arrived until we finally left. It was a special occasion for us and I was expecting something out of the ordinary, but this just blew me away- what a treat. The staff were amazing, and very knowledgeable about the food and ingredients used. We opted for the 4 course meal, which was definitely sufficient food. The flavours that chef Tanya and her staff create are majestic. The combinations and the process used to prepare each dish shows the passion in the kitchen, such a treat! Pop into the bar before leaving, and visit the loo.... the attention to detail is incredible.

• Visited September 2013
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“By Far the best I have ever experienced.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Wow. That's all I can say. I have eaten at some top class places, but must say, that Makaron, is leaps ahead and as of now, the most awesome eating experience I have ever had. Our table of 4 had the four course menu. BUT, we had at least 8 courses counting all the small surprises along the way. A truly phenomenal evening out. I will be making a booking tomorrow for my next visit. Tanya, the chef, we will be reading about you as one of the top 10 chefs in SA, SOON. Well done and thanks.

Visited September 2013