“Blown away by the food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 176 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: European, Delicatessen, French, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Airy and light, the restaurant overlooks lush gardens and leads onto a sheltered terrace for alfresco dining. It is in this stimulating setting that resident chef Tanja Kruger presents her menu of fresh, modern cuisine grounded in the French classics. Tanja has enormous respect for the quality and provenance of each ingredient that comes into her kitchen and takes pride in working with ethical producers and suppliers who share her philosophy of excellence. ‘I am working more and more with raw vegetables, fruits and flowers'. Complementing Makaron Restaurant is M Bar, an inviting lounge-style bar with the decadent ambience of a Parisian salon.
Cape Town, South Africa
“Blown away by the food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was an amazing experience, from the minute we arrived until we finally left. It was a special occasion for us and I was expecting something out of the ordinary, but this just blew me away- what a treat. The staff were amazing, and very knowledgeable about the food and ingredients used. We opted for the 4 course meal, which was definitely sufficient food. The flavours that chef Tanya and her staff create are majestic. The combinations and the process used to prepare each dish shows the passion in the kitchen, such a treat! Pop into the bar before leaving, and visit the loo.... the attention to detail is incredible.

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“By Far the best I have ever experienced.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Wow. That's all I can say. I have eaten at some top class places, but must say, that Makaron, is leaps ahead and as of now, the most awesome eating experience I have ever had. Our table of 4 had the four course menu. BUT, we had at least 8 courses counting all the small surprises along the way. A truly phenomenal evening out. I will be making a booking tomorrow for my next visit. Tanya, the chef, we will be reading about you as one of the top 10 chefs in SA, SOON. Well done and thanks.

Visited September 2013
Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Something different; lovely place and exciting food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Makaron serves a light bread selection and interesting butter spreads to start.

My wife had winter vegetables for starters which was interesting and tasty. I opted for two starters as part of a 4 course special (at R350 / $33). My one starter was a very fancy oyster dish (it includes cooking the oysters for 45 minutes in a sous vide machine). The oyster dish had some weird though exhilarating flavours. (tip here for the restaurant: supply the guests with notes to explain what you are busy eating). My other starter was a ostrich tartare with thyme biscuits and something else unpronounceable. Again, some weird though exciting flavours. My wife only gives her main course (chicken dish) a 7/10. I had rare pan seared springbok for main course which I award 11/10, absolutely fabulous! Our deserts were perfect.

The decor at Makaron is something to behold. Makaron goes out of their way with the little things (too many to mention) that you won't see at most other places (including a lovely and unique surprise dish in between at no charge). The only critique and can give is that the service was a little on the slow side. Overall we had a great experience at a top notch restaurant.

PS: the directions on the Tripadvisor map (iphone app) sent us to the wrong address!

Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Makaron for Stellenbosch Bucket List”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Supper with family and friends was a magical journey with amazing food and great wine pairings. Makaron was on my personal bucket list and an experience I was really looking forward to. The evening started off with very stylish snacks beautifully plated and styled with the glass of perfectly chilled chardonnay in the exquisitely decorated wine-bar. The service is welcoming and friendly and the attention to detail is outstanding.

Everything from the bread "basket" with a selection of butters and a divine beetroot salt to an "treasure hunt" amuse bouche followed by the 4-course meal was delicious, beautiful and perfectly prepared. The staff are well versed in the menu and beautifully explains all the dishes when it is served. The wine pairings were spot on and I was very impressed with Josephine's (Sommelier) knowledge of all the wines served.

The décor is impressive, not to mention the tableware - crystal stemware and my personal favourite the laguiole knives.

The experience lived up to all of my expectations. A 5-star experience in my book. I will definitely be back!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Awesome restaurant with beautiful attention to detail, exquisite and unusual food, very sweet, very attentive and super friendly staff and overall one of the best meals we've ever had, anywhere. Hands down. Thank you for a wonderful evening.

• Visited August 2013