“Dinner with a smile” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Dinner with a smile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Lovely place to have dinner. It makes such a difference if the owner of a restaurant is on site to check that everything is running smoothly.

Good service and great food.

Will be back again

Visited January 2014

Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Return of an old favourite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

When I moved to Stellenbosch twenty-five years back, Decameron was one of THE restaurants to go to in the town. Since then, the competition has got fierce, and Decameron was closed for some years whilst the building above it was entirely remodelled. It's been open again for a while now, and I've been back several times over the last few months. Although some other TripAdvisor reviewers are critical, I've enjoyed my visits, and I've had good food and good service on each occasion. Prices are reasonable in local terms - and if you're a visitor paying in foreign currency, the current state of the rand will of course have you smiling. The fact that the restaurant is full most weekends shows that a number of other locals agree.

Visited January 2014
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“What a dissapointment...not 10% of what it used to be...there are many, many more better restourants in Stellnbosch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Me, my wife and friends visited the restaurant on Saturday night. It was the first time in about 5 years that we made a booking at Decameron, but because our friends are from Stellenbosch, we thought it was a good option...but it was a BIG, BIG disappointment.

We only have very good memories from the restaurant, but it was all destroyed in one evening. The restaurant itself is beautiful decorated, the atmosphere is good, the service was very friendly, but not good. Both myself and my wife received the wrong food. I ordered a veal dish , but got lamp, they just decided it was ok to change because they run out of veal..without asking me...and it was so skimpy, it was a disgrace.. My wife ordered a pork dish, but received the same dish, but with chicken...they run out of pork... We all had a mussel starter and that was very good. The wine list is good. BUT BE AWARE...THE FOOD ARE TOTALLY OVERPRICED for what you get.

Overall, the restaurant is not bad, but surely there are many, many other restaurants in Stellenbosch which will ensure you a much better and enjoyable evening out.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Zurich, Switzerland
“A disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

What used to be the place in Stellenbosch has unfortunately changed into a place that does not meet up to its past anymore.
The lady at the front is incredibly unfriendly and rude. When I asked if we would receive our dinner after 1h and 20 minutes of waiting she said that that was not her business and we should contact the chef. Same reaction there. Hardly any apologies and no sorry upon our departure.
A simple nuisance.
The food on the other hand is great.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Great seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a fantastic waitress who helped narrow down the many delicious sounding menu options. The seafood platter was amazing, as was the wine selection list. Had a great time and finished on one of the best don pedro's I've ever had.

Visited December 2013