“Still outstanding food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Altrincham, United Kingdom
“Still outstanding food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We returned to Bukhara for the first time in 5 years and was pleasantly surprised that the food served is still superior to most Indian food in the Western Cape, which in our opinion beats most UK Indian food hands down!

We had Klingklip and Prawns to start from the Tandoor to start which were a delight and chicken Biryani and a wonderful Dhal as the main course. All of the dishes were well made, subtle in terms of flavours and overall quite exuisite. The wine list as ever is excellent, with all of the local favourites included, our Kanonkop Bordeaux Blend being one of the very best from a marvellous selection enjoyed over the course of our 2 weeks there. I'm certainly glad we didn't have to transport the empties at the end of the holiday!

Service was excellent and our server was very attentive. Overall, an excellent experience and definitely superior to the sister resturant in Cape Town!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

South Africa
“Great Indian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The first time we went there over a decade ago, the paneer blew me away. The food is still stunning and it is busy most of the time but to me it felt a little jaded. However I would go back again.

Visited November 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Good Indian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had dinner in Bukhara the food and service were very good. The lamb madras had heat but the spicing still showed through all in all a well executed dish. The chicken kandahari was also very tasty milder but the spicing was excellent. The cost was on the high side by stellenbosch standards if you want good Indian food this fits the bill.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Miss this one out. The Bukhara, Stellenbosch.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have eaten in restaurants around the world and the Bukhara in New D. India. At this restaurant in Stellenbosch I ordered the lamb birryani and it arrived VERY dry. I asked for a little of the sauce and after much discussion with the chef, he absolutely refused. He sent over a cucumber dip, which I returned. The lamb rogan josh for my husband was edible but not good. We left after paying and the only person to speak to us was our waitress who had deducted the birryani. The chef was in hiding behind the glass, which, as an aside, badly needed cleaning. This has been my only disappointing meal during my two visits to SA. Duration each time of three weeks taking in the Garden and Wine Route. This stop we are staying at Asara Wine and Hotel.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great food but rather pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have to say upfront that the food prepared at Bukhara, is some of the best I have tasted, in fact I haven't tasted a better Rogan Gosh. The pricing on the menu did not however justify the layout of the resturant, the decor, the tables & utensils provided. Perhaps this explained why we were the only patrons for lunch on this particular day. It looked more like a quick service restuarant than an expensive upmarket restuarant for special occasions, which the pricing on the menu suggested. The food however did go a long way to making up for what the restuarant was lacking in class.

• Visited September 2012