“Very helpful staff - not a sylvan rural experience” 4 of 5 stars

Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Church Street, Stellenbosch 7599, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Boston
“Very helpful staff - not a sylvan rural experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed in early January 2012, and I would like to say that the staff were amazing at helping us out with things like dinner reservations and other suggestions (especially Jackie).

The rooms are very nice, but the hotel is from something like 1730, so you need to know that you are going to be in a place that, while having been fully refurbished, is a bit like a rabbit warren, with rooms in interesting configurations. Also, the hotel is located on the main shopping street of Stellenbosch, and it is difficult to know where to put a car and what to do. (And, at first when we tried to park on the street, we were somewhat accosted by a 'parked car protector' in a neon vest who was speaking to us in agitated Afrikaans about wanting a small amount of money from us. This was disconcerting, as we don't speak the language, and weren't really familiar with the practice. Later, we found out that the hotel has a garage, but it is not accessible to guests, and while the staff is very happy to stow and retrieve your car, it is not like the hotel has a surrounding car park where your car will be conveniently accessible to you.)

But, I digress. The breakfast at the hotel was terrific (be sure to ask for them to prepare eggs or something hot for you). The rooms are very stylish, and well appointed, and as I mentioned, the service was really amazing.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

My husband and I and six friends stayed at Coopmanhuijs on 31st December as we were having New Years eve dinner at 'The Big Easy' which is walking distance away. This boutique hotel exceeded all our expectations - the efficient yet unobtrusive service, beautiful rooms, excellent cuisine and comfortable reception and outdoor areas made our stay wonderful. Izabet, the charming manageress,had planned a surprise of early evening canapes and sparkling wine for all the guests on new year's eve. What a treat! The food was magnificently prepared by the resident Italian chef and his staff. The copious brunch on New year was of an equally exceptional standard. The hotel is perfectly situated in the centre of the town with easy access to the numerous restaurants, art galleries and shops. Stellenbosch is a town that we will explore in more detail and will definitely choose Coopmanhuijs again. Perhaps next time we will indulge ourselves with a few spa treatments offered at the hotel ...

Room Tip: Choose one with a balcony
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Riyadh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My family stayed for 2 nights and loved this hotel. The rooms were exceptional and the staff very helpful. The location was perfect and the breakfast was unlimited in choices. I hope to have the chance to stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I love Stellenbosch and have fond memories of being a student at the university in the 90's. My mother-in-law also lives in Stellenbosch, so we are regular visitors to the town and particularly love Church Street with all the little cafes, restaurants and art galleries. I have been wanting to stay at this hotel for a while and bought a voucher for two nights' accommodation b&b as well as a 40 min back and neck massage each for my husband and me. We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in December. I loved the beautiful building, the yellow wood ceilings, the breakfast room and kitchen and the overall feel of the hotel. Unfortunately we had a few minor "house keeping" issues which one does not expect at a 5 star hotel. When we arrived at the hotel, the receptionist (who also turned out to be the therapist who did my massage) informed us that we will be staying in room 9. A porter took us to room 6; we then told him we think it is the wrong room as we were told we would be staying in room 9. He then took us to room 9 and upon opening it dicovered that other people were occupying the room already. We were then taken to room 10 where we stayed the 2 nights. The room was pretty but very small for a 5 star hotel and unfortunately there was a hole in the duvet cover on our bed. The bathroom was very beautiful, we had a small balcony which looked out onto the swimming pool and the over all feel of the room was luxurious. Because the room was so small, there was basically no space to put anything down and the bathroom also had a very small space for placing any toileteries or bags. The shower was a very strange shape and we struggeled a bit to fit in it. What was also peculiur was that the shower had shower gel in it on the day we arrived but the next morning after we had breakfast and wanted to take a shower, the room had been cleaned and had no shower gel. I asked at reception later the day if they will get me some and they said they would send some later the day. The next morning when I wanted to shower, I saw they put conditioner in the shower put still no shower gel. My husband wanted to have a beer from the fridge but there was no bottle opener; we eventually got someone to bring us an opener and when I asked the staff member if the room was supposed to have an opener in it, he was unsure. As to our massages, it was enjoyable but lasted all of 25 minutes and not 40 minutes as expected. On the plus side - the breakfast was amazing, the staff very friendly and the food excellent quality.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Strathaven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Lovely old world, homely boutique hotel in the centre of Stellenbosch. Our room was at the front of the hotel, so a little noisy. The rooms was a good size, with large comfortable bed and excellent bathroom. The staff were all fun and extremely helpful and pleasant. The breakfasts are excellent. This hotel, with its secure parking accross the road, is an excellent place to stay to visit Stellenbosh and its many vinyards.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the back would be better if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011 via mobile

I travel a lot with business and all I can say is I'm very pleased they put me up in CMH for the night before my flight to Upington.

Upon arrival Elisabet and her team made me feel instantly welcome, I arrived much earlier than expected but they offered me breakfast and put me into a temporary room to have a shower after my travel.

The rooms are a good size, comfortable and are well equipped. Free wifi, Multiplugs and an amazing bathroom - the shower was superb.

The only thing I could fault is the act I couldn't stay longer, let's hope when I return home I can have another night stay here.

Thanks to all at CMH!

Paul Farmer

• Stayed December 2011
Swellendam, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

This is a lovely, intimate boutique hotel in the heart of Stellenbosch. We stayed for one night only, but will definitely be back for more! Our room was spacious and beautifully decorated with sash windows overlooking the quaint Church street below, through the leaves of the old oak trees. The charming hostess and manager, Ilzebet, received us warmly and shared an aperitif with us on the patio outside before our decadent 4 course dinner prepared by the Italian chef. Breakfast was an elegant continental selection with variety of unique options, followed by a warm breakfast of choice. Coopmanhuijs is highly recommendable, thanks to a very capable team offering personal service and an excellent offering!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!