“Treat yourself to a lunch at this beautiful setting” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 176 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: George Jardine from his Cape Town buisness has opened a new restraunt
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Treat yourself to a lunch at this beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

My friend and I enjoyed a midweek lunch at Jordan and despite the rainy start, we were blessed with sunshine and could enjoy the view. It really is a very pleasant drive and the panaoramic view at this winefarm is worth the trip. The main restaurant offers a 2 course meal for R275 or 3 courses for R325. The extensive wine list can offer something for all tastes and I can recommend their Sauvignon Blanc. (In the evenings they offer a wine pairing dinner). The decor is light and airy and the open plan kitchen allows you to see the culinary team in action. The bread was served with delicious watercress puree, some tasty aioli and a fish/potato pate mixture - all truly yummy! I had the yellowtail starter which was wonderful - my friend had the quail. For main course I had the calves liver served with a risotto which was tasty although slightly rich. My companion had the sirloin with a side order of crispy chips. I couldnt manage dessert but did try a spoonful of my companion's souffle which was light and fluffy and served with creme anglais and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Quite wicked! .On my next visit I will treat myself to a visit to their cheese room - this is a unique option instead of dessert and offers a superb selection of cheese to finish. Service was attentive and efficient. After coffee we took a stroll around the Bakery next door which offers a full breakfast menu and a simple light lunch option. You can also purchase their bread or other food treats to take home. There is also a tasting room or you can enjoy sampling the wine on the terrace if the weather permits. This is not a cheap meal - with wine/water/coffee and tip you wont get much change out of R1000 for 2 people, but its a great treat!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“How a Favorite Loses it's Standing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have been to Jordan quite a few times over the past few years and absolutely loved it but after our most recent visit I'm not sure I'd bother going back.

Jordan has been a staple on Eat Out's top 10 list of the best restaurants in South Africa - but after looking at the mounting negative reviews on TA, including my own, I don't think it's going to stay there for much longer.

The service, as already noted in some previous reviews, needs a lot of work. Some of the staff are not just poorly trained but rude as well.

The food is also inconsistent. My wife's starter was delicious but mine was bland and unimaginative. My mains however were amazing but then my wife couldn't even eat hers. She had about three mouth fills and sent it away… we did not ask for another dish or for it to be removed from our bill, neither of which was offered, but I regret that now. However what surprised us is that the chef did not come out to find out why we had sent back a full plate of food, uneaten.

I have sent food away before, uneaten, and seconds later the chef would be beside us asking, congenially, what had put us off about the meal. This can often turn the experience around from being about an unpleasant plate of food to being about a conversation, or interaction with the hosts/owner/chef - where you leave still feeling it was an overall pleasant experience.

This did not happen at Jordan and to make maters worse after sending the meal away (which was a hake fillet on aubergine puree) we were so confused by the sour flavors of the meal we asked for the menu so we could reread the description - after reading this we discovered that the 'heirloom tomatoes' that were part of the description never made it onto my wife's plate. Which is a real pity as this was a much needed ingredient to bring some sweetness to a very pungent meal.

We alerted the waitress to this omission but her response was perfectly fitting to the day: she just stared at us, shrugged and walk away. So we paid, left and will keep away.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kent, UK
“A beautiful restaurant with delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

The setting is beautiful - a tranquil location outside Stellenbosch. The wines are outstanding, so it is definitely worth arriving early to do a little wine tasting before the meal. We went three times over the tear end period. We were absolutely delighted each time. The food was sensational and innovative. Favourite dish for all if us was the mussels en papillote. A real treat to dine here and we look forward to future visits.

Visited January 2014
Sussex, England
“Beautiful setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We visited Jordan as a party of 5 for lunch on a hot day in early February. It's quite a drive from Cape Town, but well worth it.

As requested when booking, our table was out on the terrace with a prime view over the gardens and pond to the mountains across the valley. Stunning.

The service was a bit hit and miss. The welcome was good, and we were seated quickly. From then on things slowed down considerably. The menus took a long while to arrive, and pre lunch drinks even longer. There were a lot of diners there, and we got the feeling the kitchen was struggling to keep up.

The food itself was of a good standard. Limited number of choices, but a good selection nonetheless. We tried a number of starters, all consistently good. The steak main courses were well prepared, and good portion sizes. Desserts looked good, but the berries pretty tasteless.

Very pricey for lunch though - similar levels to set dinner menus at top Cape Town establishments.

The combination of a beautiful setting and solid food make Jordan a worthwhile lunch destination.

Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Didn't live up to the Hype.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We booked dinner for a Saturday night and were looking forward to our long awaited visit especially after reading such good reviews.
The starters were fine, the main was very disappointing, it lacked flavour and seasoning and the desert was equally disappointing.
So much so, a friend had 3 mouthfuls and didn’t even bother to finish it.
I chose the wine pairing option which at R180, I thought it was expensive compared to pairings at other similar style restaurants.
What really sealed our disappointment was the very poor service.
When you pay for fine dining, you expect fine service and in my opinion we didn’t even get average service.

We were also unfortunate enough to have a very loud table in our section of the restaurant, which at time killed the conversation on our table, I understand that this is not the fault of the management but it did affect the atmosphere in the restaurant.

All in all a very disappointing mea0,l especially compared to other fine dining restaurants in the area.

• Visited March 2014