“Still the best - Michelin quality” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 175 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Somerset West
“Still the best - Michelin quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We visited Rust en Vrede last night. Our first visit ever to this magic place was back in the day when they had just opened a week before, my reaction then was that this was the first restaurant in SA worthy of a Michelin star (if they would be awarded around here). Since that first visit we have had the opportunity to enjoy the restaurant many more times. And last night proved again that Rust en Vrede has managed to maintain that same level of service and food quality that was created by the founding staff members. The staff is polite, attentive, helpful and very very well trained, which is not often the case in this country. The food is creative and beautifully presented. The food quality is superb.
The restaurant has the right interior for the purpose and the evening is always a very special occasion without any pompousness whatsoever.

• Visited September 2012

Bedfordshire
“lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was worth the five stars but not amazing or out of this world...the servuce was but even with the 6 course menu with pairings it was still very good but not out of this world. Food was well presented but I felt portions were extremely small when compared with other meals I have had of a similar nature. I loved the frozen tomato but the rest has now faded from my mind, yet I can remember courses from other great restaurants. Its very expensive and perhaps I should have selected from the menu...but I took the risk...my fault! The brownie on the way out was a lovely touch...which I ate on the plane the next evening...and was delicious!

Visited August 2012
Stellenbosch
“You had me at hello”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Rust en Vrede is one without doubt one of my favourite places in Stellenbosch for various reasons. The wine, the view, the history, the people etc. Dining at the restaurant has always been an experience and I have seen this restaurant grow over the years, change chef, change sommelier, change front-of-house, but there seems to be an inherent pride that comes with working at this historical place that makes the team work so well together and ultimately provides an unforgettable night every single time.

I feel inadequate trying to explain how amazing this place is without overusing the word amazing or any similar superlatives, but that's simply what it is...amazing. The greeting, the seating, the professionalism, the attention to detail, the food - oh the food-, the amazing (there we go again) wine list. You catch my drift.

I have been lucky enough to eat here a couple of times over the years, and like bumping into an old flame, there's still that spark that makes me realise how, sigh, amazing this restaurant really is. From beginning to end. You know you're in for a treat when you're already wowed by the home-made bread. It's the gastronomic equivalent of you had me at hello.

Rust en Vrede is a restaurant where you take your time to think and talk about the food. Same thing goes for the wines. Let the sommelier guide you and surprise you. You'll be back. Like me.

• Visited September 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Belated review but must do..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Oct 2010 was the date of our visit, but I sit here in August 2012 still bragging about the professional service, elegant and clean food and impeccably matched wines. If management has been adjusted and quality has moved up or down the scale since; pardon my review; otherwise get yourself a booking. We had Aus Dollars and found the bill very reasonable.

• Visited October 2011
Warren
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The food, ambience, service were all EXCELLENT. What a treat. I would highly recommend this as a must VISIT while in Stellenbosch. We had a great time

One small nit - we were encouraged to have a glass of champagne and were charged $25 per glass... That came a surprise !! That said, it was still worth the trip

• Visited August 2012