“Finally done with this place.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #74 of 175 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Brasserie, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Java Bistro offer full breakfasts with lunch, dinner and an open show kitchen with qualified chefs preparing your gourmet meal to perfection Enjoy our side walk seating with a glass wine from our cellar with over a hundred to choose from
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
“Finally done with this place.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Myself and my friends have frequented Java since 2010 due to the reasonable prices. However, the past several visits SOMETHING has always gone wrong - from raw bacon in a wrap to incredibly slow service to duffed meal orders. On Sunday in particular, my coffee arrived with sour whipped cream. The wait for our food was about 50 minutes (for an omelette, an English breakfast and a scone?) and let's just say our waitress kind of lacked in social graces (mind you it seems like perpetual grumpiness is a job prerequisite for waitresses at Java). Finally decided to stop coming here, don't know why we didn't learn our lesson sooner.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
“TOILETS!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

... There in no restaurant toilet in Stellenbosch that's more DIRTY! Often there are puddles of ... on the floor, no air freshener, soap, or even toilet paper. The manager had some excuse that was not understandable, seeming upset that his flirting with the waitresses had been interupted.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Luan is not effective”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Don't get me wrong, I'm a regular and I normally love this place. OK, I'm a Pom and everyone serving is not! But, they are soooo friendly and helpful.

Except yesterday.... I went to sit inside and waited and waited. When I asked the pretty blonde standing at the door whether she was working there or just standing, looking pretty she told me that she was working outside! I requested that rather than she did nothing, she might get someone to serve me inside. What a face she pulled!!!

Don't know her name but she's the slim blond with hair in a pony tail (nice but dim!). Not to be comfused with the beautiful, voluptuous blonde who is a star.

So she needs training but Luan, the floor manager, is next to useless. He just wandered around stroking the waitresses hair. Nice job if you can get it, however the boss will wake up soon and get rid of him (a complete waste of space).

Yet, the food is great, economical and the waitresses are superb (when trained!).The waitress yesteday was Marzanne. So efficient, friendly and, dare I say it, HOT!

This is a great place (normally!)....

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stellenbosch
“Need time and patience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Waited 47 min for English Breakfast! And the restaurant was not even busy. Not the first time that I waited so long for very basic meal either. Great place and atmosphere. Pity about the service though.

Visited February 2014
Polokwane, South Africa
“Fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Visited Java Cafe a week ago. Found one table open on the veranda and grabbed it before anyone else could. I knew this was going to be good food because we had taken the last available table. Lovely waitress and helpful manager. The mojito's are delightful.. One of the best I've had! Great variety on the menu with so many delicious choices it's difficult to decide! I had a wrap and my boyfriend a burger. Both dishes were beautifully presented and were scrumptious! A great stop over for a hearty lunch for anyone passing through Stellenbosch.

Visited February 2014