“Lovely peaceful lunch unde rthe trees” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 58 Restaurants in Paarl
Cuisines: Winery, Contemporary, Family Fare
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant is set in a beautiful country garden where we serve lunch outdoors if the weather is favourable and indoors beside a roaring fire in the chilly months.We have a varied a la carte menu, served from Monday to Saturday, that features traditional South African home-style meals, all made with fresh ingredients and our tried-and-trusted recipes. Our wine list offers all the Backsberg favourites as well as some special wines only available at the farm. Your kids will feel at home too, with a jungle gym in the garden and loads of space to play.Our traditional lamb on the spit is available every Saturday and Sunday during summer, and just on Sundays during the winter months. On the weekend the spit is served with a buffet of salads, veggies and Linda's famous roast potatoes. Booking is advised.
Rome
“Lovely peaceful lunch unde rthe trees”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

With a refreshing glass of Voignier to start, a fantastic, spicy starter of chicken livers accompanied by a glass of the house Pinotage and a juicy and buxom burger to follow, I left Backsberg happy, well fed and ready to move on to my next destination in Africa. Sitting under the trees, rustling in a gentle breeze on a warm Saturday afternoon was perfect. Go there and enjoy it yourself.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Simon B, Owner at Backsberg Restaurant, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thanks for the review! I hope the rest of your trip went well. Best, Simon Back

ireland
“Unexpected! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Driving to Franschoek I stopped in at Backsberg to buy some of their lovely merlot and decided to have a bite to eat. Wow- service from Jodie was great- attentive, friendly- but not intrusive. It was lunchtime so I had a starter and dessert- and what a dessert- I had the dessert selection- with fresh fruit, a passion fruit meringue pavlova and lemon tart with ice cream- it was heaven. Lovely coffee which was needed after a lovely glass of Sauvignon Blanc with my meal. Highly recommended!

Simon B, Owner at Backsberg Restaurant, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hi Vicky, thanks for the top feedback! I will pass on your great feedback to the restaurant team. Come again soon. Thanks, Simon Back
Pinelands, South Africa
“A good place for a relaxing afternoon!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

A relaxed atmosphere and excellent wines to taste and then to share along a yummy meal seated under the beautiful trees.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Simon B, Owner at Backsberg Restaurant, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hi Ann, thank you for the review! Simon Back
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Give it a miss, not what we expected...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My partner and I had lunch at Backsberg Restaurant on a Friday. We phoned ahead of time and were told that there was no need to book as it was quiet that day.

I had looked at their menu online before deciding to eat here. As a vegetarian I knew that my choices would be limited, but the dishes sounded nice.

The menu that we were given at the restaurant is not as comprehensive as the summer menu online.
There are no vegetarian starters, as confirmed by our waiter, and for a vegetarian main you have a choice between a salad or the camembert with mushroom in phyllo.
I ordered the phyllo and my partner ordered the burger (beef).
The food arrived, and while it looked good, I found the vegetarian dish very bland. My partner's burger was pretty average.

We also each ordered a glass of wine. The serving size was generous, but both wines were warmer than room temperature and this made them hard to enjoy.

I wish I could say that there was something enjoyable about our experience, but there really wasn't and I would not go to this restaurant again. We paid our bill and received a voucher for 10% off your next bill (Mon - Sat).

Backsberg seems to be best know for their spitbraai and I get the impression that the a la carte lunch is more of an afterthought.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lunch under the shade trees”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We drove into Backsberg after being turned away from their next door neighbour...'because you have to book two months in advance to eat in that restaurant'. The receptionist at Backsberg welcomed us with a friendly smile and let us park close by because my husband cannot walk great distances. We enjoyed a tasty lunch with a good wine while relaxing under the shade trees in the outdoor eating area. The staff were attentive and helpful.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Simon B, Owner at Backsberg Restaurant, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Hi Dorothy, thanks for the great feedback! I am glad you enjoyed your lunch. I will pass on your review to our team. Visit again soon! Simon