“Don't be fooled by the name” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Paarl Boutique Hotel

You added Paarl Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Paarl Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Monte Cristo Avenue | Follow Monte Cristo Avenue till end of the road., Paarl 7646, South Africa   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Paarl
Pretoria, South Africa
“Don't be fooled by the name”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed here for two nights as part of our honeymoon in November 2013 and were tremendously disappointed. We chose this place based on "boutique hotel" and 4 star rating as we had stayed in similar establishments throughout the cape, but it did not come near to the standard. I have read the reviews below and we had exactly the same dismal experience. The lady at reception is incredibly friendly and breakfast is good, but all in all a negative stay. The pictures are very misleading.

The view is spectacular but the hotel is 'cold' and spooky. The smoke smell many other travelers have also mentioned was ever present.

Room Tip: Do not be fooled by the luxury suite... it does not look at all like the photo. It is cold and old f...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in the beginning of December 2013. It is one of the worst 4 star establishments I have ever come across, not sure how they got this rating.

Firstly, the room walls were covered in mould with a strong smell of old cigarette smoke hanging in the air. The bathroom was terribly shabby with dirty towels. No plug at the dressing table to style your hair and most of the globes in the lights were out. The linen and pillow cases were stained. And, we were plagued by Mosquitos the whole night with no bug repellent in sight, so we didn't sleep a wink. To add to our bad experience, breakfast the next morning was a disaster. Dirty water jugs with little things floating around in our drinking water.

I would recommend skipping this one!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Zug, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We were supposed to stay at this hotel for 5 nights. When we arrived the hotel lobby smelled of cigarets. The room we booked had fungi on the walls. The next room we were offered the same. We decided to switch hotels and when we informed the staff of our decision they did not show any regret nor did they appologise.

I would not recommed this place to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed over for one night and really enjoyed it. Will recommend this Boutique Hotel to anyone. The only part that could do with some upgrading is the bathroom. The rest of the Hotel is perfect and had an amazing sleep on the huge comfy bed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Danie007
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I should've done my homework better but I suppose I was fooled by the "Boutique". I am a South African businessman that has travelled to over 53 countries worldwide. This establishment has a rating of 4-star. I would like to see the rating documents. I paid over R900 per night for a dark room with no view to speak of. The usable plugs were at the door about 3 meters away from the "work station". If I was a lady That had to blow-dry my hair I would've been angry. The mirrors are at this "work station" which is just a melamine counter top. No hand-wash soap in the bathroom. No powdered milk with the coffee condiments. Kettle is old and pathetically dirty inside. The reception was unprofessional and looked like they could use uniforms. The breakfast was below average. This is extortion and makes the grading system a joke.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cape Town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I am not sure why it is called a hotel, nevermind a boutique one at that because it is neither! On arrival, we were quite disorientated as it looked more like a high rise block of flats. The place ws so dimly lit that we were convinced we were at the wrong place. Upon entering the establishment, we were greeted by a one lonely man sittng in a small office, which reminded me of those cheap motels in the movies. Although some of the furnishings were quite nice, it was really just an attempt at creating the illusion of it being "boutique". TRUST ME, IT IS NOT!! We were then escorted up two flights of stairs (there is no lift), to the outside balcony - Yes, the room door of the "luxury suite" is on the outside (this door being a stable kind of door at that). Once again, some nice furnishings, but really, it could not hide the dingyness of the suite. The bathroom was quite old as well which greatly contrasted all the modern furnishings. There was no tv in the room, so your only option would be to sit in the cold lounge. To be honest, the whole place really had a creepy feel to it. But the deal breaker for me was the fact that the bedroom had a door leading to the outside as well. I had images of my husband and I being bludgeoned to death just like in those horror movies. My husband could see I was in distress and would probably not sleep, so basically almost as soon as we arrived, we packed our things and got outta there! When we left, my husband mentioned to the man in the office that we were leaving as it was not what we expected ... and his reply was just "OK", almost as though our swift departure was nothing out of the ordinary. Please do not be fooled by the website either, as it is very deceiving as wel. I would definitely NOT recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Muscat, Oman
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is definitely not what it says on the tin - ie not 'boutique'. The first thing that hit me on arrival was the stink of cigarette smoke which was coming from the bar. The same smell woke me at 8am and I was 3 floors up! I think it was the manager rather than a guest. The main rooms of the hotel are well-decorated and comfortable but my bedroom was dingy and smelled musty - probably from the mould clinging to the ceiling of the shower 'room'. Having said all this the staff were really helpful and lovely. It's a shame that the rest of the hotel didn't match up to their service.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Paarl Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!