“Wow!!!” 5 of 5 stars

4-Day Garden Route Tour from Cape Town
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Oudtshoorn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Though damaged through shortsighted tourism schemes in the 1960s, these caves are still worth a visit for their eerie dark tunnels and stunning limestone formations.
Adelaide, South Australia
6 attraction reviews
“Wow!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have a new respect for cavers, after hearing of the lady who got stuck in the adventure section of the caves, for 10 hours!!!!!!!! One mustn't try to fit one's body in passages that aren't wide enough! When I saw a real to life diagram of two of the passages on this 90 minute choice of tour ( and the one where the lady got stuck) it made my hands sweat!!!!! Our standard tour was by comparison tame as...but really enjoyable. Our guide, Matilda, was lovely, humorous and informative. She used the lighting at each section to great effect, and gave us all a sense of awe. In the last chamber she sang to give us a sample of the magnificent acoustics in there, as it was once used for concerts!!!!! The building at the entrance is very modern and well equipped. Drinks and food may be purchased on the 3 rd level and the shop on the 2 Nd floor is well and truly worth a visit as it has some truly wonderful and unique African goods! If only I didn't have a budget and luggage allowance!!!!! The Cango Caves are well worth a visit!!!!!

Visited April 2013

Brixham, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Nice Formations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Visited here in March whilst staying in Oudtshoorn. The website recommends booking in advance ( the standard tour leaves every hour) but we didn`t bother and just popped in on the off chance after driving the Swartberg Pass. There was no problem, we did the 3pm tour and there was about 10 of us.( but there was a coach load waiting for the 4pm tour).
The caves are fine...We would give them a good rating if there was that choice. If you haven`t done caves before we would recommend going but as we have done quite a few we have been spoilt with better ones.

Cape Town, South Africa
17 attraction reviews
“Great Adventure Tour! Book before arrival.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The family split into two groups; my wife and daughter did the standard one hour tour while I and a friend did the 1 1/2 hour Adventure Tour.

We all thoroughly enjoyed it - the standard tour includes the most spectacular sights while the adventure tour (which includes the standard section) requires you to squeeze through some tight cracks in the rock.

Our guide was excellent; his patter included a fair sprinkling of humour, while he was clearly experienced in assisting and soothing nervous tourists.

The adventure section is quite physically challenging and culminates in a head-first slither through the "letter box" - a crack about 30cm wide. I was advised not to take my DSLR camera or bag and was happy that I had only a point and shoot that I could leave slung around my neck while I used both hands for climbing. (There was only one section that was this tight and mostly I could negotiate the route while using one hand for the camera.)

We had a tasty burger in the restaurant (after the tour) and sampled the excellent locally micro-brewed Karusa draft.

Would I do it again? With visitors, for sure. The caves are spectacular and the adventure tour is great fun and it's a treat for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

The website strongly recommends booking online before you get there. We were lucky and managed to tag along on a tour that had no-shows, otherwise we'd have had to wait two hours.

Leatherhead, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Cango caves”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Brilliant, one of the best caves we have visited. The formations were amazing, the walkways were easy and the guide was very informative.

Durban, South Africa
5 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Natural Attraction marred by commercialism”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

It was everything we expected from a natural wonder perspective. But the staff are slapdash, toilets were grubby and not cleaned or serviced at 8.30am in the morning from the day before.. Poor from that perspective.