“Ostrich Steak Heaven!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 31 Restaurants in Oudtshoorn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Ostrich Steak Heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My sisters and I ate here on a recommendation and we were not disappointed! I've read a review from people who ordered vegetarian dishes and were not blown away, that's nothing to do with the restaurant, it's because you've ordered vegetarian! Go here for the ostrich - they cook it beautifully and in many different ways.

To start we shared the Ostrich Trio and the Bone Marrow. Both were delicious, the bone marrow was very tasty but rich, I would recommend it to share. The trio of ostrich was wonderful: bits of steak, carpaccio and pate - beautiful.

For mains, I had the tagliatelle with ostrich in an Amarula sauce which was gorgeous and enormous - I couldn't finish it! My one sister had the ostrich saltimbocca which was fantastic, but the real star of the show was the ostrich steak with an Amarula, berry and honey sauce. I really can't recommend this dish enough - absolute heaven!

The atmosphere was cosy and friendly, the owner came round the tables to say hello which I thought was good. The food is reasonably priced and they have a good wine list too.

Overall - definitely go here!! I'll be back!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Not sure what the buzz is about...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We decided to have dinner here when we were in Oudtshoorn based on all of the positive reviews. We were disappointed. The food was just okay, nothing special at all. I had the pesto pasta and my husband had the vegetable pancake stack, which was like a lasagna. It came with french fries, oddly, and green beans that were clearly from a can. It wasn't terrible, but it was definitely not memorable. I suspect there are better restaurants for dinner in Oudtshoorn.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“"Yum x 1000!!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Food tasted like it was made with love and passion, did not want to add anything.
(Pizza/ Ostrich salad, even the desert was excellent.)

I recommend giving this place a try whenever you visit/ pass through Oudtshoorn!

Thank you for excellence.

• Visited January 2014
Cape Town
“Ostrich Trio a winner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

When in Rome... I was recommended this restaurant by the good folks at Highgate Ostrich Farm, and it proved to be a great option for my Portuguese group. Gerbie and his team offer a friendly service, and my starter was big enough to be a main. This is why it was packed (with locals) on a Tuesday eve. Particularly enjoyed the Ostrich Carpaccio. Well done and thanks, we'll be back.

• Visited May 2014
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
“Pasta is a winner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Lovely food, nice and quiet setting. Walking distance from most guesthouses in the main road. Steak is great too!