“Outstanding accommodation, exceptional hosts and stunning location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Lodge

You added Candlewood Lodge to your Saves list
Candlewood Lodge
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   8 Stinkwood Crescent | Upper Old Place, Knysna 6571, South Africa   |
Special Price
Book 3 pay only 2 nights
Ranked #9 of 109 Knysna B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Staffordshire
“Outstanding accommodation, exceptional hosts and stunning location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

Whilst on a fantastic holiday in South Africa my Friend and I were fortunate enough to have booked into the stunning Candlewood Lodge in Kynsna. From reading so many wonderful reviews regarding the aforementioned accommodation we had decided to stay at Candlewood Lodge for ten nights and we were so please with our decision. From the moment we arrived the stunning views, exemplary service and first class accommodation took our breath away.

The décor throughout the lodge is exceptional and all of the individually designed bedrooms and bathrooms are furnished to an extremely high standard. All of the bedrooms are beautiful, spacious and immaculate. It is clearly evident that hosts Joyce and Graham have worked hard to consider their guests needs and they have ensured that every last detail is catered for. Each bathroom (and I checked them all out!!) has been fitted with magnificent modern walk in showers/wet rooms with fantastic power showers. All of the bedrooms can be accessed independently from your own private balcony area and they even have a suite for family members.

The views from all of the bedrooms are staggering. On occasions the wonderful hosts shared their extensive knowledge of the area with us whilst sipping a child glass of wine on one of the many patio areas looking over the lagoon towards the heads. The outside area of the lodge provides a wonderful space in which to relax especially the Jacuzzi!!

The breakfasts served each morning in the beautiful dining room or on the patio area were fantastic with an abundance of choice available.

The location of Candlewood Lodge on the Garden Route is ideal and stunning beaches; safari trips, boat trips and fantastic shopping are all within easy reach.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this exceptional guest lodge and it’s attentive owners to anyone planning a trip on the Garden Route. It really is outstanding and most definitely disserves its five star status.

• Liked — Immaculate rooms all exceptionally decortaed with all ammenities
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Wakefield, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

Date: 2 September 2008
Reviewer: The Tudors, Wakefield, England

What can we say that hasn't already been said in other reviews on this website about Candlewood Lodge. During our 2 week holiday to South Africa in July Candlewood Lodge was by far the best place we stayed in. The attention to detail, the beautiful decor, immaculate rooms (we stayed in 'Sand' but were shown all the other rooms as well - all to the same exceptional standard - and above all the view over the Knysna Heads from 'Sand' was something to always treasure) and to top it all off the fantastic breakfasts.

Joyce and Graham are exceptional hosts - nothing is too much bother and they will help with anything they can. They really do go the extra mile. On arrival, after a very long drive, Joyce and Graham invited us to have a cup of tea with them and it was like we had known them all our lives almost. On our first night they kindly booked us a table at a restaurant they could recommend and on the second night after chatting for ages about our day touring the area we ended up going to the local pub for fish and chips with them both. It was a shame to leave as we felt nowhere else on our travels in South Africa would live up to Candlewood Lodge and it didn't - it's a pity we couldn't have done our whole itinerary from Candlewood Lodge!

About a week later we had to return to Cape Town via Knysna and having told Joyce and Graham our itinerary they said we should drop by and say hello if we had time. This we duly did and again received a lovely welcome. After a phone call from Graham, Joyce, who was out shopping when we arrived, duly returned with a wonderful cake and we stayed for about an hour having coffee and cake.

All in all we have absolutely no hesitation whatsoever in recommending Candlewood Lodge and should we ever visit South Africa again we will be looking Joyce and Graham up. Candlewood Lodge scores 11 out of 10 for us and well deserves its 5* status! Thank you Joyce and Graham for a wonderful stay in your wonderful home.

• Liked — Everything - exceptional hosts, immaculate rooms, fantastic decor, wonderful breakfasts, stunning views
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nottm, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

Candlewood was the first stop on our trip of the Garden Route & is a very nice guest lodge, Joyce & Graham are very friendly hosts & have clearly paid a lot of attention to the detail of the rooms. We stayed in Sand & were overall happy with the room, however there were a few drawbacks! The size of the towels was ridiculous, they were tiny, the balacony is not private as advertised (although does provide stunning views of Knysna) & the rulebook is a little overbearing - however these a minor drawbacks & we would happily recommend this guest lodge. One thing I feel needs mentioning about Candlewood is that it is not suitable for people with mobility issues - it is situated on the top of a steep hill, however this does make the views! Overall a good, value for money stay in Knysna.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

South Africa's Garden Route has one drawback - the price of accommodation is often outrageous. Imagine my delight then when I booked into Candlewood Lodge - which looked great on the website - and held thumbs. Turns out this is true value for money. Candlewood is a magnificent establishment and hosts Joyce and Graham are discreet but very attentive.

Our room was "Sand" - with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Crisp, white linen (and towels), a gushing power shower (and bath if wanted) and a view of the Knysna Heads that we feel everyone must have envied.

Breakfast is served on a sunny terrace with the odd monkey dropping in and rooms have views of forest or sea depending on your taste. Every room (and I checked them all out) is furnished with impeccable taste and every last detail has been thought about - intelligently.

Don't want to walk into the glass shower panel - ah, there's a seahorse to remind you it 's there. Extra loo rolls, extra tissues, extra everything. Plenty of plug points, hairdryers. It's all there and more. I give this five stars.

• Liked — Style and comfort
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

We searched for accommodation in Knysna that would cater for my partner and I, and my Dad and his wife and found Candlewood Lodge online. Their site shows a good and accurate selection of photos of their rooms and we were even more impressed when we arrived as they were stunning.

The decor was beautiful and the rooms were immaculate - which is something I very much appreciated, as I am very particular about cleanliness. We stayed in rooms Sea and Sand, which have an adjoining balcony with a fantastic view over the Knysna Heads.

Joyce and Graham were superb hosts and made us feel part of the family. Breakfast was first-rate, with so much choice that we did not even need to have lunch.

We were sad to leave but know that we will definitely return as there is so much to do in and around Kysna and the location of the lodge is within 20 minutes drive of many places of interest. We will recommend Candlewood Lodge to our friends, without any doubt!

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Boroughbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

If you are going to stay in Knysna we can not think of a better place to stay than Candlewood.

Graham & Joyce made us so welcome and treated us as honoured guests. They could not have done more for us.

We stayed in Room Sand which was immaculately furnished in an African theme. It is without doubt one of the best rooms we have ever stayed in and we immediately felt at home.

The views from the balcony were fantastic looking over the lagoon towards the Heads. What a great place to wind down with a glass of wine with friends.

I can not thank Graham & Joyce enough for the great welcome we had not to mention the fabulous food.

• Liked — High Quality Furnishings, very clean & great owners
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

My parents have just returned from the 'trip of a lifetime' around South Africa. As it is something they had wanted to do for more than 40 years and due to my mother being physically disabled a lot of research, planning and organising went into making the trip as perfect as possible.
As I have been to South Africa before I knew my parents would love Knysna and so set about trying to find suitable accommodation for them. My main priorities were access for my mother (who gets around in either a wheelchair or a walking frame) and friendly, helpful hosts. Despite the disability, my parents are busy, active, outgoing people who don't like to miss out on anything during their travels, and local knowledge is invaluable.
I fired off enquiry e-mails to Candlewood Lodge and another hotel in Knysna based on reviews on Tripadvisor and the accommodation web-sites. Graham from Candlewood Lodge came back to me almost immediately with a full friendly e-mail detailing the layout of the house and rooms, right down to the single step between the lounge and bedroom. He described the rooms most suitable for my mother and said that the parking space directly in front of the entrance would be kept for their use if they chose to stay there. In one e-mail he won me over. He was welcoming and helpful without being at all pushy. In comparison, the other hotel I contacted finally sent me an impersonal quote 2 days later with no answers to the questions I had asked about disability access.
From there on Graham and I e-mailed back and forth, with him assisting me with all manor of queries about local activities and transport. Nothing was too much trouble.

My parents have returned from their trip today. They have had the most wonderful time and without a shadow of a doubt the highlight of their trip was their stay in Knysna. My dad actually said 'I cannot think of one single fault about Candlewood Lodge. I give it a hundred out of a hundred!' They now consider Graham and Joyce as friends! Indeed, Graham and Joyce joined them on an outing one day and my parents had the most fantastic day out. They were particularly delighted when it turned out that Joyce had brought tea along for them all!
I have had lengthy detailed accounts of the beautiful room they stayed in, the beautiful bathroom with huge walk-in shower, the absolutely stunning to-die-for views across the lagoon from both their room and the deck at the back of the guesthouse, and the wonderful breakfasts. My mother was impressed by the attention to detail and how spotlessly clean everything was.
Most of all was the hospitality of Graham and Joyce. On my parents arrival they all sat around and had tea and chatted like old friends and discussed what my parents would like to do during their stay. It seems there are few things in and around Knysna that my parents didn't squeeze into 3 days, and then it was back to the Lodge for a couple of drinks late evening.

To summarize, Graham and Joyce are tremendous fun, warm and welcoming and will bend over backwards to help you in any way that they can. The lodge has a fantastic location and is meticulously maintained. My mother's disability was not an issue at all. Although they may not be at the cheap end of the accommodation market, they are not remotely expensive either and I feel that their prices are fantastic value for the level of service and facilities provided. Graham and Joyce, I can't thank you enough.

• Liked — Warm hospitality, views
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Candlewood Lodge? Share your experiences!