“Knysna Manor House” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Knysna Manor House

You added Knysna Manor House to your Saves list
Knysna Manor House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   19 Fichat Street | Garden Route, Knysna 6570, South Africa   |
Announcement
Free Wi Fi
Ranked #47 of 103 Knysna B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Knysna Manor House”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

We stayed at Knysna Manor February 2012. The managers were very friendly and we had a choice of 2 rooms. The breakfasts were great and it was lovely to enjoy them while sitting on the large balcony. Our room was clean and comfortable but a bit old fashioned and it and the bathroom especially could probably do with a revamp. It is a good location, very near the high street and 7/8 minutes down to the quay.The mantagers have 3 lovely dogs.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Thank you for your review on Knysna Manor House.

I am always glad to hear that our guests enjoy the breakfast out on the deck as much as I do.

We are slowly revamping the guesthouse, and only have a couple of rooms that the bathrooms have not been revamped.

Thank you for your positive review, we look forward to welcoming either yourselves or your friends back to Knysna Manor House in the near future.

Owner
Knysna Manor House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Meppel, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Last december we've spent a night in the Knysna Manor House. The relatively old owners were friendly but the accomodation was about as oldfashioned as they were. We had a family room and it was relly oldfashioned blankets and sheets, really oldfashioned interior milldew in the bathroom.
They have three dogs and the whole place smells of dog. If you walk out of your room the dogs walk in leaving their hairs. I really dislikes that. I'm sure you'll be able to find an accomodation that offers moor vaule for money. The is more like a plungepool. If you look out of your window you'll see that the neighbour have accomodation as well, but have a lot more space in the garden and a nice pool.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you for your opinion of our guesthouse.

I must apologise for the experience that you had with the dogs and the dog hair.

As to the state of the rooms, we do acknowledge that the bathroom in room 4 does need some renovation.

Regarding your quote about the guesthouse being old fashioned. Our house was built in 1986, and was the original home of the Mayor of Knysna. We have purposely decorated our home according to this theme.

I do understand that the guesthouse next door does have a bigger swimming pool, and that their grounds are bigger. We did not originally have a swimming pool, but due to the fact that guests did like to cool down at the end of the day, we found that the pool that we did put in is thoroughly enjoyed by our guests.

Our guests also enjoy spending time on the deck of an evening, and find the views of the lagoon very relaxing.

I apologize for your bad experience, and wish to invite either you or your friends back to Knysna Manor House in the future to see if we can meet up to your expectations.

I still await the dates of your visit so that I can investigate further.

Sävedalen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights. Knysna manor is an old charming house located central in Knysna, walking distance to shops and restaurants. Beautiful view from the terrace. Good breaktfast. Owners are extremly friendly and we really felt relaxed and at home. Would love to come back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
Thank you for your kind words regarding our guesthouse. I am so glad that you found it relaxing. I must admit that I also love the views from the terrace and it is one of my favorite places to be when I am visiting the guesthouse.

I am so glad that Brenda made you feel at home.

We look forward to welcoming either you or your friends in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Nice old world charm B&B with a very pleasant lady taking care of the premises. Had one of the nicest omelette for breakfast and we sat outside on the open air balcony with a nice view of Knysna Estuary and The Heads. The house is within walking distance to the main street and shops. It had a cosy living room and quite a big dining room which extends out to the terrace. There was also a bookshelf with a small collection of novels and books that guests have left behind for the enjoyment of other guests.
Only complain was that the sheets were not terribly clean (we stayed in room D upstairs). Something that I am sure the owners will certainly look into. Will come back and stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Firstly I must apologise for the delay in responding, but II have been away on vacation.

I am so glad that Brenda was so helpful, and that you thoroughly enjoyed your omlette and that you enjoyed our dining area with it's view of the Knysna estuary. I am also so glad to hear that you will be coming back to visiit our beatiful area and our guesthouse.

The problem regarding the marks on the linen will be addressed automatically.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

This is an old house and furnished in old-style, that is managed by a friendly lady. If you like this style, it's very nice and romantic. The terrace is overlooking the bay and on sunny days you can have breakfast (very good breakfast) in front of the landscape.
The location is very good - near the centre of Knysna, not far from the Waterfront.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this review, December 17, 2011
Thank you for your kind words regarding Knysna Manor House. Yes it is very old, in fact was the original house for the Mayor of Knysna. It is filled with the charm of that time, but hopefully we have managed to supply modern facilities for our guests.

Thank you for your kind words.
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011 via mobile

This Guest House could be lovely; it has a great sun terrace, friendly landlady, good breakfast. Unfortunately the carpet and the linens in the room did not feel clean to me and the room smelled stale and of years worth of other guests. As a result I could not relax and couldn't wait to get away.

• Stayed November 2011
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for your honest opinion of our guesthouse. We are sorry that things were not up to scratch. Do you remember the room that you stayed in so that I may investigate further.

All other points were discussed in previous message.

Gail
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of October; it has taken a while for my review because I considered not writing a review on the basis of 'If you can't say anything good then don't say anything' The trouble is that's not what Tripadvisor is about, in my opinion.
We arrived early evening and it was cold and raining a little; having driven down from George we were ready for what I hoped would be a pleaseant reception. When I booked I understood there would be an honesty bar so when asked if there was anything special I needed I just said a cold beer and a glass of wine. Upon arrival Anthony informed us the bar was closed as he had sold the property to his son and hadn't received the new license. To be fair he did offer me a beer from his fridge but there was no chilled wine to be had. No big deal really.
We then were offered a choice of 2 rooms and we chose a large room at the front, with the shower cubical actually in the room, complete with very noisy extractor fan. The roon was very cold with only a small electric radiator at hand, which hadn;t been used to warm the room. However there was a sign on the wall which stated not to use the heater at the same time as the kettle because of the electrics. Again perhaps a small thing but irritating all the same.
We then asked Anthony if there was somewhere he could recommend to eat; he suggested a place down the road but stressed we would have to drive. I said we'd like a drink so driving was out of the question, he again strongly advise us not to walk. This came as a great surprise; and a disappointment as everything we had read suggested Knysna was safe. In fact there was a thread on TA just before we left the UK about safety along the Garden Route which seemed to confirm it was safe. We reluctantly accepted his advice and he called a cab from somewhere he 'used often' The taxi, unmetered, took us the 3 quarters of a mile or so to the waterfront and charged us 50 rand. As we had spent the previous 4 nights in the Kruger we had no real idea how much the taxi fare should have been. Suffice to say our taxi 'friend' was more than happy to come back for us later. We realised in the days to come we'd been ripped off; the money is less important than the deed and it left a bad taste.
This from a taxi company he said he used often.
The rest of the Manor House seemed fine; the outside terrace looks lovely and the breakfast was ok.
Knysa itself was fine as well, the island is lovely and we really regret not staying there.

I hope any reader does not think I'm being unfair but I do think it's important to review honestly. Anyone reading any of my previous reviews will see that is the case and the other places we stayed whilst in South Africa were marvellous. The country itself is astonishlingy good and we'd not hesitate to return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Good Day

I am Gail, the owner of Knysna Manor House.

I thank you for your honesty and would like to respond to your comment.

Firstly the problem with the liquor license has been ongoing, and I am sorry about that. We have owned the guesthouse for four years now, and Anthony and Brenda are our managers. I am glad that Anthony did offer you a beer from his own fridge though. Brenda unfortunately, who normally manages the front office, had a recent fall, and her pelvis was fractured in two places.

The electricity, unfortunately has been a problem with the council, and with the new development around the guesthouse, we will hopefully have this problem sorted soon. We just want guests to be aware of the problem, so that they do not land up without any electricity. I know the room you are talking about, and apologize for the noise of the extractor fan, and will gladly look into replacing this so not as to be a disturbance for future guests.

Regarding the restaurant, I do understand that guests like to walk, but unfortunately, the petty thieves (as in any place in the world) like to prey on singles or couples, and I totally understand Anthony's concern for you walking down by yourselves. If there are groups of people we say that it is fine, but the safety of our guests is our main concern.

Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the taxi that Anthony called for you, but will investigate this further.

I will revert to you on all the issues once I have the answers.

If you are in Knysna again, we would welcome you back, hopefully with a cold beer and a chilled glass of wine.

Gail Dalton

Been to Knysna Manor House? Share your experiences!