“Best. Surprise birthday. Ever.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Knysna Tonquani Lodge & Spa

You added Knysna Tonquani Lodge & Spa to your Saves list
Knysna Tonquani Lodge & Spa
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Welbedacht Lane | 1 Cherry Lane, Knysna 6570, South Africa   |
Special Offer
Revive, Rejuvenate & Spa
Ranked #17 of 109 Knysna B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Best. Surprise birthday. Ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I booked one night as a surprise for my wife's birthday. Maurita and the rest of the staff went out of their way to make it memorable. They arranged a birthday card with a surprise spa treatment, booked dinner at a nearby restaurant with complimentary champagne and a beautiful birthday arrangement in our room. They even upgraded our cabin! The cabins are beautiful, deserving 5 stars, and the service excellent! Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Brazil_USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I booked Tonquani for our group (12 family members - 4 chalets) based on the TA reviews and was very very pleased.
Tonquani´s chalets are like log houses. The front ones are smaller, one bedroom, perfect for couples, very cozy.
The ones in the back are huge (we had 9 and 10), 2 bedrooms, fenced and have their own bbq area. 9 even had its own jacuzzi (I don´t remember if 10 had one as well).
All the units have their own deck and fire place.
The host Brandon and the staff is incredible.
The beds were decorated with flower petals, the toilet paper had an antilope origami, the shower rug was folded and decorated with glass beads. A lot of attention to detail.
Brandon suggest we did a braai one night and they prepared everything for us. Incredible salads, the tables set beautifully, all the meats ready to grill, all the extras, and they did even light the fire for us!
Breakfast was delicious, location was great (no views, but very quiet, nice big gardens for the kids to run, and 5 min by car to the waterfront).
Yes, maybe the beds could be a little bigger and the paitings of the big five are not attractive to all, but these small details didn´t really matter during our stay.
I would have liked some sort of heating and better ligthing in the bathroom.
My mom had a hot stone massage at the spa and really enjoyed it.
Tonquani has been one of our best hotel experiences ever.
We tottaly recommend it and are very thankfull to everyone there for a delightful stay!

Room Tip: All the chalets are wood logs, but nr 10 is painted white on the inside. So you can choose from a mo...
Richmond, VA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived and discovered a little tropical paradise tucked away just off the Garden Route! The grounds were beautifully kept, and our cottage had lots of little touches that made us feel like we were on our honeymoon again. In fact, the resort may have thought we were honeymooners--they upgraded us to a bigger cottage which was set up very much like a honeymoon suite: fresh flowers everywhere, cute decorations on the bed, etc.

The breakfast was excellent, with a large selection of buffet and made-to-order options. There were cheese plates, a granola bar, and fresh fruit juices. All of the staff and the owner were very nice and helpful, with everything from restaurant recommendations to IT support.

Thanks to a TripAdvisor promotion, we paid the regular rate, but got a snack basket and a 30-minute couples' massage included. The staff at the spa was great, and we had a very relaxing massage to start our day!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Tonquani lodge and spa was one of the highlights of our garden route experience.The chalets were very comfortable and private in a unique sylvan setting.The welcome and attention we recieved from Sheldeen was second to none,and the breakfasts were sumptious...crepes,and homemade apple scones,as well as other delights.We will definately return and will recommend Tonquani to any of our friend on this route.

Room Tip: room at the pool was beautiful ,but we were offered a choice of rooms on arrival,but i suppose that...
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Pros
Friendly staff and a very nice breakfast.
Cons
Family of ours stayed in one of the smaller cottages and its really very small and very basic. I feel the 5 star rating is a bit misleading.
Our bed was very unconfortable!
Advice
Stay in one of the more expensive cottages, as the cheaper are really of a very low standard.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The morning I was leaving Cape Town for my holiday in Knysna at Tonquani Lodge & Spa I was mugged and my handbag containing my passport, credit cards, cash, etc was stolen. I contacted the lodge and they told me to make my trip and not let the incident spoil my plans. The owner personally picked me up at the station and for the next 3 days I was pampered and loved by everyone with all meals being provided and spa treatments for relaxation. They assisted me with every aspect to ensure my cards were cancelled, the matter was reported and after many phone calls to the Swiss Embassy the incident was resolved. They gave me a mobile phone and other little gifts to lessen the pain of my loss. I am returning to Cape Town tomorrow knowing that angels do exist! Everything was perfect and the staff are kind and caring and like family to me now. I will recommend Tonquani to everyone and will be back as often as I can. The best lodge anywhere by far!

Room Tip: All the rooms are stunning and the spa is a heavenly haven!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Humansdorp, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

For their 20th wedding anniversary, my dad decided to surprise my mom with a weekend away from home. As I had to organize everything, my brother and I got to tag along.

My dad's instructions to me were as follows:
Find 5-star accommodation, preferably with an on-site spa, that will treat my mom like a queen.

At Tonquani, all of us were treated like royalty. The rooms were comfortable, yet elegant. Each room had spectacular view and the honeymoon suite where my parents stayed was a bit more secluded and private than the other chalets, which was ideal. Every effort was made by Tonquani staff to make sure our stay was as luxurious as possible. Prior communication with a member of their staff (Maurita) gave me a very good first impression. We also received quite a bit of discount and an upgrade of our accommodation. The food was good and the service was discreet and efficient. My mom also had high praise for the spa treatment she had.

We can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Knysna Tonquani Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!