“Warm friendly hotel ” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Knysna
Hout Bay, South Africa
“Warm friendly hotel ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Walk into the Log Inn and look at the stain glass windows . Stop and take it in . Staff are warm and friendly like the hotel . What makes this hotel unique is that it is make completely of wood . The rooms are large well equipped and a nice touch was the biscuits with the tea and coffee station . The rooms facing the road side are more noisy than the non road facing rooms . There is free wifi and breakfast was great . A nice pool and sauna are also found on the property . The location is perfect between the main road and the waterfront and there are numerous resturants and a pub all close by . A great property if you are looking for something mid priced and convenient with friendly staff .

Stayed July 2014
Marti D, General Manager at Knysna Log-Inn Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear 666Satan....

Thank you for your very kind review of the Knysna Log-Inn hotel.

I see you have been all over - 19% hey!! When is it getting to 20%? Will it count if you visit us again!

Yep, I have to agree, all this wood, the spacious foyer and the awesome stained glass windows give one a warm and cozy feeling.

Situated in the heart of Knysna makes it ideal to explore on foot without worrying about parking.

I look forward to welcoming you back at Knysna in the not so distant future. Pop into my office so I can get the story..... there must be one......!

MARTI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights whilst travelling the garden route. While the reception staff were welcoming, helpful and friendly, and parking easy, our stay was blighted by Japanese tourists - by the bus load. The rooms are dated, have no fridge and are easily polluted by noise created by the said tourist groups. If their noise isn't coming to the room from the corridor, it's coming from their coach running its engine outside at the crack of dawn. We sleep well but were continually disturbed by their talking to each other across our balcony, knocking on each other's doors (and ours by mistake), traipsing up and down the corridor (the narrowest I have ever seen!) and their coach running outside, vibrating the thin-paned windows. On the second morning we were rudely awakened by one of them getting their party up by blowing a whistle! Breakfast is nice but isn't fun if you happen to eat simultaneously with a coach party, nor just after they've rifled through like a plague of locusts. The log theme is pretty but not enough to counteract the negatives.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the car park to avoid vibrating windows from the tourist coaches.
Dear Travelerfamalam from Oxfordshire

Thank you for your review of the Knysna Log-Inn hotel.

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not enjoyable due to the behaviour of other guests.

I realise that often a holiday is planned with great excitement and the expectation of restful enjoyable days and it can be most upsetting if incidents like those you mentioned in your review happen during your stay.

Our guests come from many countries and nationalities with different cultures and behaviours that are mostly very interesting but, sadly, occasionally annoying to others.

Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconvenience.

MARTI

PS:- the corridors are not really that narrow - although one sure gets that impression what with the corridors being built in such a way to simulate being on a train from years gone by
new delhi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

A 4 Star property within walking distance to the waterfront , this hotel is just about OK. Rooms (we were booked in a triple room) are small, views nothing much to talk about. Breakfast was passable and the same on all days. , no live counters for hot food.
All in all, just about OK.

Dear Drrganesh from New Delhi

Thank you for your review of the Knysna Log-Inn hotel.

Although you rate us as merely "efficient" , we do appreciate your opinion, as feedback from our guests is a helpful yardstick to measure the standards and service of the hotel that can be used in a constructive manner to improve those things that can be improved.

kind regards
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

From the time of arrival to our very early departure two days later, the staff and management were very helpful and accommodating. The hotel constructed of solid wood, blends in with what Knysna is known for, wood.The rooms were very cosy and spacious. My guests from India loved the setting and wanted to stay longer. Breakfast was specially served 30 minutes earlier than the normal time. Staff came in earlier to make this possible and my guests were all thankful. Special Indian breakfast was served, as well as the normal buffet breakfast. We all loved it. The restaurant staff was friendly and always ready to assist the guests. The hotel arranged breakfast packs for my group, as we checked out at 03h00 in the morning. Hotel is ideal for groups and families.

Room Tip: Rooms facing main road can be noisy with tour buses departing early in the morning.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Aladdin

Thank you for your very kind review of the Knysna Log-Inn hotel.

I took the liberty (sorry) to view your profile and I must say, you have travelled quite a lot and done many interesting things! .

As you are well travelled and have stayed at many hotels, I will see your review as a rather big compliment and I thank you most sincerely.

Thank you also for mentioning the staff and them being willing to go out their way to help. They are our "human treasures"

The kitchen ladies love preparing the Indian dishes as they learn new things all the time. From time to time we will ask some of our Indian guests for advice, tips and tricks to make the Indian Breakfast better and better... and so they learn.

About those submarine tours...... e-mail be details!

Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed at the Knysna Log-Inn Hotel for four nights. Upon arrival I was immediately struck by the warm cozy feel you get when entering a log cabin chalet, I loved the wooden vibe, really did make you feel like you could be standing next to a wooden fire. Parking was easily accessable and staff were very happy to assist with our bags. We stayed on the second floor overlooking the road. Rooms are clean and spacious. My son had a sleeper couch which was very comfortable. Rooms are cleaned everyday. Location of the hotel is super, close to all shops, waterfront and literally a 5min walk to the Oyster Festival.

Unfortunately, I did have to agree with another reviewer, traffic noise from the road is awful. You definitely cannot get a ly in with busses, taxi's and truck drivers! I would suggest a room overlooking the car park! Breakfast was good, unfortunately I found some of the staff looked they would much rather be (1) somewhere else or (2) back in bed themselves. There is no self-service toast making station, you have to ask staff to make it for you, and if you are lucky....they might remember to bring it to your table before your breakfast was finished.

There unfortunately is NO kids activities or games rooms. Boring for them if you didnt pack an ipad/laptop etc. The jacuzzi was out of action for almost 2 days which didnt make my son very happy as he is a water baby and was looking forward to it. They an awesome quaint little bar past the breakfast area but again, nothing happening. A tiny little tv in the corner which you literally have to stand so close to, if you want to read a score. The bar only serves alcohol, no snacks at all - so I had to bring my own! The bar has huge potential to draw some crouds in, especially over the Oyster Festival. In fact the restuarant area could serve light snacks/sandwiches for guests, who would prefer a quiet eveing in their hotel??

Would I come again - probably...but only if I was busy everyday and was literally coming back to shower and sleep.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing he parking lot and try and get a room on the top floor!
Dear CPT Roadtripper

Thank you for your review of the Knysna Log-Inn hotel.

I am saddened to hear that you had a less than enjoyable stay at our beautiful hotel.

The points that you bring up are all very valid and I agree with quite a few of them.

We find that most of our guests prefer to explore Knysna and the surrounds as there is just so much to do and see. If my memory is not failing me, it was unusually cold during the Oyster Festival this year which probably did not make it ideal to explore and do things outside.

The buses are a bit noisy, but the drivers probably just have their guests' comfort in mind when they keep the bus idling to get the air-con (or probably heater...) going for the early (trying to get ahead of the cyclists or runners), and cold (icy July 2014), morning departure of the group. Fortunately it does not happen very often and we would quickly ask the driver to switch the bus off if he keeps it idling for too long.

The Jacuzzi .... yes, I remember .... unfortunately, if the rubber "activation button" gets damaged by a rather sharp object, (some other well-meaning guest, long story... don't ask) it takes a day or 2 to get a replacement but I do understand that it was NEEDED what with the cold weather!

When you stay at the Knysna Log-Inn again - other than the "shower and sleep" stay, hop into my office for a cuppa and a chat...

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I had a very short stay at knysna log-inn, just about 20 hours. So it won't be fair to judge a hotel for such a short stay. Otherwise the staff was very courteous, the rooms were good and i loved the breakfast buffet, not too many vegetarian options though.
The location is also very good, its walking distance (200m) from the waterfront.
The only negative i can say is that they don't have a heated pool which they claim on their website.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kunal5988

Thank you for your kind review of the Knysna Log-Inn hotel.

It is great to hear from our guests that the staff were helpful and friendly. They are our greatest assets and without them I will be totally lost. Many of them have been here in excess of 8 years!

Knysna Log-Inn, situated in the heart of Knysna and within walking distance, as you have mentioned, to the waterfront and other attractions, is the ideal place to stay, park your car and explore on foot.

I do apologise if the "heated" pool on our website gave you the wrong impression. We do heat the pool, but only to about 23 to 24 degrees. It would be nice to make it warmer, but many guests actually prefer it colder, so at this stage we only try to keep the polar bears at bay...

Hopefully next time that you visit Knysna and the Knysna Log-Inn, you will be able to stay for longer than the 20 hours - Knysna and the surrounding areas have a lot to offer the discerning traveller.

Sycamore, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This property often hosts tour buses which can be a bit noisy in the morning if you are not rising early and your room is on the street side. Our room was large, clean, and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast buffet was large and a wide selection. They will cook eggs to order if asked. The desk staff was extremely helpful in booking a boat tour and hike of the Kynsna Heads. There are several good restaurants close to the hotel and laundry establishments close to the hotel will do your laundry very cheaply. Parking is easy and abundant if you are driving. The hallways are very unusual in their layout. Overall, a good stay for the money, but don't expect luxury and quietness on rooms facing the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mamiya7

Thank you for your review of the Knysna Log-Inn Hotel.

I have to agree with you that the buses can be a bit noisy in the morning, and quite often you will see me flying out of my office and jumping on the drivers. However, I suppose they also keep the comfort of their guests in mind when they keep the bus idling to get the air-conditioning going.

Our hallways are unusual and I often joke that it has been done intentionally to allow our guests the excuse of having one too many and blaming the corridors if they cannot walk straight..

Most of the staff working at the Knysna Log-Inn have been here for longer than 8 years and in quite a few cases for 15 years, and they enjoy arranging trips and outings for the guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Knysna Log-Inn Hotel with friends and family so that you can show then what South Africa, Knysna and specially the Knysna log-Inn, is all about.

MARTI

Been to Knysna Log-Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!