“nice once you get over the check in process” 3 of 5 stars

The Rex Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Gray Street, Knysna 6570, South Africa   |
Ranked #15 of 28 hotels in Knysna
Glossop, United Kingdom
“nice once you get over the check in process”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

check in was strange. tried to charge us despite having pre paid. then the person who took us to our room suggested we complain to get a better room. it looked ok to us but we took her advice. went to reception and they said we could change but had to pay more. we did.......but it all felt like a bit of pressure to up-sell.

not a friendly reception as it is separate to the hotel. its more like a reception room next to the rooms which could easily be a timeshare building.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Mr Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. All comments are valued, as they help us to improve on overall guest experience. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and the serviced received on check-in. This is most certainly not the standard of The Rex Hotel, and I will take this up with the staff member involved. With regards to the reception area, I will pass your comments onto our owners.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Rex Hotel in the future.

Regards,

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

we stayed in the Rex hotel during the knysna Oyster Festival. Absolutely ideally because my husband did the cycle tour and myself the Coelecanth run. Bathroom is small, but bedroom, kitchenette and "tv room' make for a "homely' feel. The only disadvantage is the old houses and back yards that we saw from our room. Breakfast was also great and everything is within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Catherine,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We value all comments received.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves in our location and service, and it is lovely to have this affirmed by your comments. With regards to the houses and the back yards of our neighbours – I’m sure you may appreciate that we have little control over this factor, although we do attempt to communicate with our neighbours on the issue. I hope the rest of your stay made up for this small distraction.

We would love to welcome you back to The Rex Hotel in the not too distant future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice stay in Knysna, the Rex hotel is in a prime location just a minutes walk from the waterfront. Staff extremely helpful. A few small issues with the room but dealt with by the staff in a timely manner. Breakfast was excellent. Would stay again & good value for money

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Nicole,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We value all comments received.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. My apologies for the lack of tourist information provided my the reception staff. I will most address the situation immediately as well as housekeeping.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Rex Hotel.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

The Rex hotel is close to the waterfront of Knysna . The hotel was not purpose build and seems to have been built as apartments or such like before being converted . The standard rooms are so tiny two people would not comfortably fit themselves and there luggage in the room . The room I had needed to be cleaned properly as it had unknown stains on tv stand and stains on carpet as well . When you shower water leaks out the door and onto the carpet . Breakfast was average with a small choice . At this price point there are numerous other options close by . Room hint . Do not take tiny standard room .

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

My sincere apologies for your unpleasant stay. With regards to your comments we will take them under consideration however the general feedback we receive is positive of nature. I can assure you that we are currently in the process of having all our carpets cleaned. As per your comment for the stain on the dresser, this occurs when liquid penetrates through wax and polish and gets into the finish. We are however looking into having this replaced.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Rex Hotel.

WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Unfortunately for me the weather was windy, really windy and it rain. But I didn't mind because what better place to be in was to stay here and chill out which I did. The location was excellent and I love staying in my room for the two days. I was very comfortable and the décor was great. I love the chairs in the kitchen and the bed was very good. The balcony I loved because it bought the inside outside. A great place to stay and the reception staff were such lovely people. Left with fond memories of the place. Thank you! Breakfast was downstairs and the food was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Pleasantly surprised indeed. Lovely modern deco. We stayed there for five nights and not once was I nostalgic. It was like living in a lovely home. The staff was very friendly. Special thanks to Michelle for taking an interest by engaging us and recommendations of what to do. She suggested an interesting Kynsna experience which is not largely known by tourists. Unfortunately it rained all day the day we were suppose to do it. It seems we missed out...next time!! The beautiful restaurant down stairs served lovely healthy foods. Excellently located, you can walk to the waterfront and the mall. If they can just put signage to the hotel. My husband and I enjoyed our stay in this lovely boutique hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Rex Hotel in the not too distant future.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great location, fantastic room, nice staff, good food and free parking lot. The Rex is just two blocks from the Waterfront, one of the nice places in the amazing Knysna. The room size and style surprised us positively. Breakfast was also really good. Certainly one of the best options in town.

Room Tip: We were lucky and got a free room upgrade, which is very comfortable and really big - full kitchen a...