“Soldiers Memorial Museum - WW2 through the eyes of a soldier” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 attractions in Hermanus
Type: Military Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A Military Museum dedicated to the experience of the individual soldier. His story, uniform and equipment. The only kind in South Africa. Guided personal tours for small groups. A very unique experience in Hermanus. “There is no glamour in war, only permanent memories and nightmares for those who were there”Enjoy this experience in conjunction with the historical menu and ambience of De Voorskooten Café.Open 08:00 – 16:00, Tuesday - Sunday
Houston, Texas
“Soldiers Memorial Museum - WW2 through the eyes of a soldier”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I took my 12 yr old son to the Soldiers Memorial Museum in Hermanus after reading the Trip Advisor reviews. We were not disappointed. Even though the museum was being moved and some of the displays were missing, the owner gave us a fascinating personal tour of the remaining exhibits. This WW2 collection is very unique, and the thorough research and personal stories associated with each item made this a very special experience. We spent an hour in the museum and my son never lost interest. In fact, he engaged in continual dialogue with the owner. The owner is very knowledgeable, a great story-teller, and passionate about WW2. He also allowed my son to hold a German machine gun used during the war. It was a great experience. We also enjoyed a great burger and milkshake at their coffeeshop after the tour. The whole museum/coffeeshop is a fascinating place.

Visited September 2013

Geneva, Switzerland
“Don't miss: soldiers memorial museum Hermanus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Last April a friend took me for a visit at the museum and my, did I have a great time!
The museum has a stunning collection of mostly German memorable that come to life with the detailed explanations and colorful stories from Jacques the owner. The personal guided tour makes it even more interesting: Jacques will capture your attention with his passion and profound knowledge of WWII and I am sure my kids would have loved it. For me this was certainly a highlight of my visit to Hermanus. I highly recommend everyone to go and have a look, it is a magnificent piece of history not to be missed.

Visited April 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Soldiers Memorial Museum - a must see for locals as well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was privileged to host my nephew and niece from the UK for a couple of days in Hermanus. I did the tourist thing and went onto the internet to do some research on Hermanus. It was a fantastic experience and was such fun exploring Hermanus with them. I went to places I had never been to before and was thrilled with the unexpected find of the Soldiers Memorial Museum which was amazing. The owner is passionate about his topic and very knowledgeable. He discussed and showed us items in his collection that he felt would interest us and my teenage relatives were so impressed and amazed that they could visit a Museum like this in Hermanus. Don't miss out - visit this gem.

Visited August 2013
Hermanus, South Africa
“Must see: Soldiers memorial museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I only recently stumbled onto this little museum. The owner took us for a guided visit, and wow it was amazing. Every piece in the collection has got a story to it. The owner has spend his entire life collecting these pieces and is very passionate about his hobby. Although the collection focuses on German soldier artifacts there were also a few Japanese soldier artifacts. A must see if you are a history buff and interested in the stories of the German soldiers.

Visited June 2013
Paignton, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
“Absolutely amazing - a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

If this was all we came to Hermanus for - it would have been worth it! We learned so much during this fascinating experience and what a storehouse of intrigue and characterful stories. Great for family outing - the boys loved it and were enthralled. You absolutely positively have to see this! It is worth the R60 per person!

Visited May 2013