“Love this hotel BUT the gym hygiene...arghhh” 4 of 5 stars

Arabella Hotel and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   R44 Kleinmond, Hermanus 7195, South Africa   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Hermanus
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Love this hotel BUT the gym hygiene...arghhh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

This is my second stay at this hotel so clearly I enjoy the hotel and especially the amenties like the golf course, pool, indoor heated pool, spa and the gym (I do not stay at any hotel without a decent gym). The location is beautiful and the hotel is close to some lovely little villages like Kleinmond, Betty's Bay and Hermanus, the epicentre for whale watching. The last time I was at the hotel I had a conversation with the General Manager - Leon about the service, especially the friendlines of the staff as it wasn't good at all, however I am pleased to say this has definitely improved so well done on that, now make it amazing!

Unfortunately though my experience at the gym was 'disgusting' I am sorry to say. As mentioned above, a decent gym for me is an absolute essential component when choosing a hotel and the gym here is okay in terms of equipment, however some of the equipment is over 12 years old and in serious need of an upgrade especially the cross trainer trainer and weights equipment.

My 'disgust' however is not the age of the equipment but the cleanliness of the gym equipment (I have included photos below) and as you can see there are sweat marks, dust, spider webs and grime all over the equipment and because I used to import this equipment into South Africa as an agent of Technogym (in Italy) I know the equipment very well and how it needs to be maintained and cleaned. This equipment needs to be cleaned daily because of all the body fluids and sweat on the handles, seats and upholstery and what makes it worse is there are no cleaning materials like antiseptic wipes or bottles of disinfectant spray and paper towels for visitors to use and hence I noticed some people using their own sweaty towels to clean the equipment.... yughhh! I then proceeded to tell someone sitting outside in the spa area and they then brought a cleaner and another person to look and the final result was the cleaning woman came with a duster and dusted the spider webs away. That was it!

Please can you guys clean the equipment daily with antiseptic wipes or disinfectant spray including all the floor mats which I am sure haven't been cleaned for weeks if not months (this is evident in the condition of the mats), also the handles on all the equipment like the treadmills and bikes, the upholstery on the weights equipment and so on and so on. This is meant to be a hygienic place of exercise and due to the nature of this kind of facility it needs to be cleaned with disinfectants and not just wiped down with a rag and dusted with a duster. I really hope this will be done starting ASAP!

My only other issue is when you book an aromatherapy and it says aromatherapy on the bill, then you expect to have an aromatherapy. I asked my therapist what she gave me when she was finished and she said a swedish massage...oooo! Clearly someone forgot to tell her what I paid for! It was still a good massage however that is not the point as I really wanted an aromatherapy!

Apart from the gym I really do love this hotel and I hope to visit again and find a super clean gym and hopefully some seriously upgraded gym equipment (the date on the equipment is 2001 so don't you think it is time!)

Thanks!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the lagoon and on the 4th or 5th floor as it is truly a lovely view to wake up...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Wayne_ASH, General Manager at Arabella Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Leon L
I have addressed the issues raised with the spa management TEAM, and agree that the cleanliness and service delivered was indeed below our normal standards. Corrective measures have been reinforced to ensure that the lapses do not occur again.
We are aware that our gym equipment is very dated and the good news is that we are installing a completely new Techno Gym at the end of May!
We would really like to encourage you to make use of the new Gym when you next visit and certainly hope to turn this experience around for you on any future visits to Arabella!
Wayne Siepman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Hungarian first
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We visited the Arabella hotel over a busy Easter weekend whilst it was exceptionally busy we never felt crowded or over whelmed by the other guests.
The room was on the ground floor and the only gripe we had was it didnt come with a bath, we were told by reception that as we had booked via an external site and not directly with the hotel we were given the general room ie those meant for disabled etc ...this meant our little toddler could not have a bth but had to make do with the shower
other then that we liked the room which opened up to the grounds and led to the pools
breakfast was amazing and you could easily spend few hours slowly savouring the food on offer
we didnt partake in lunch or eat at the hotel restaurant as we felt we wanted to hed into hermanus one night and have room service the last night
overall a enjoyable experience except for not being treated equal having utilised an external booking site

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear maqsmaqs

Thank you for your feedback and for spending your Anniversary at Arabella!
Please accept our apologies that your room experience was not quite what you have expected it to be.
We are pleased that you have enjoyed the amazing breakfast and had an enjoyable experience!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Being a huge fan of the African Pride 's Crystal towers hotel where service is impeccable - we arrived at the Arabella African Pride with high expectations!!! The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, the setting fabulous, rooms lovely... But thats where the compliments end!! The service is appaling! The hostess during breakfast on our first morning lacks training in how to manage guests! After seating us, my children already getting breakfast she walks over to our table ( and keep in mind SHE seated us) to ask if she can move us to another table because there are other guests wanting this table who are unhappy because she seated us at this table! Upon asking her where will she move us to - her reply ...we have to wait untill a table becomes available!! Needless to say we objected to being moved as the children would have to stand in line waiting for a table with their plates of breakfast!!! Very very unproffesionally she gave a sigh and rolled her eyes as we refused to move!!! During breakfast which was busy as it is over easter weekend we noticed one of the serving staff chewing bubblegum and in no hurry to get to her job at hand , and that is serving the very full dining room that was clearly under strain! At the pool area the waitron first brought us our bill with half the items we ordered not charged for - we pointed this out and asked him to check the bill as the 1.5 l water we ordered was not charged for- we waited FOREVER for him to return with the correct bill! We had to go and look for the waitron after a long wait - just to find him standing in the shade chatting to other waitron staff- our bill very clearly forgotten!! Its really a stunning place for families but just jack up staff attitude and service!! This will then be a top notch place!! Its problems that can be rectified !!management just needs to address it!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Belindawiese
Thank you for giving us your feedback. You can be assured that we have taken your review very seriously and tried to understand how your experience could have gone so wrong.
I cannot agree with you more that the service delivery at Breakfast, the lack of enthusiasm and professionalism from our hostess and serving staff at the Restaurant, the Pool service shortfall and staff attitude is unacceptable.

Your experience most certainly does not reflect the high standard of service that we are usually proud to offer. STAFF efficiency and friendliness are top priority to us, and we are disappointed to learn that this was not your experience. Your concerns have been raised with the relevant department heads. I confirm therefore that your concerns have been addressed and that on-going training is in place to rectify our shortcomings

Lilongwe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I stayed at Arabella Hotel for 4 days during a summit in April 2014..the hotel really offers 5 star service. First it was the front desk team: well organized all preparations were in place and just a few minutes I was ready to go to my room.

The rooms are well cleaned, beddings clean and the rooms offer the view of the Ocean and vast mountains on one side. The surroundings have great gardens which are also spicied up with the Golf course that is on the site.

Its good for functions, vacation if you really want a place to just chill and forget the hectic activities of the world.

Can I go back to the hotel??? Certainly YES!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side face the Ocean and the mountains
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Wayne_ASH, General Manager at Arabella Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear 0863mm
Thank you for choosing Arabella Hotel & Spa and for posting such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor! I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed our rooms, great location and beautiful gardens.
We hope to be welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The hotel is very nice, rooms are spacious and extremely comfi, the staff are really attentive. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is that the hotel is secluded and there are no activities to do in this area except within the hotel which are mainly playing golf and enjoying their spa

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear bmyg
Thank you for taking time to write a review after your recent visit! Our TEAM aim to provide the best GUEST service and I will make sure to pass along your compliments.
The location of our hotel is great to explore the many attractions The Overberg has to offer, which you should consider when hopefully visiting us again in the near future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

it has been a while since I experienced this package of comfort all in one place: the staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the hotel beautiful and upper class, the spa and spa services of the best, the golf course magnificent and the food gourmet at its best. I had one complaint: my own time was not enough. Having stayed in a gorgeous suite, we extended our stay with two days and would have loved to stay longer but had no time. Well done Arabella

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the suites are very spacious
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Hennie H
Thank you for staying with us and for the lovely review. We are delighted to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us (so much that you have extended with two days)!
I am very proud to hear that the STAFF was so friendly and helpful. Your commendations are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated the STAFF for doing such an outstanding job!
Thank you for pointing out some unique features of our hotel. We are glad you made use of our in-house restaurant and enjoyed gourmet food at its best.
Please visit us again soon!
Stellenbosch, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We only spent one night, arriving late afternoon en route to Knysna. Staff at check-in we're very friendly, but it took a long time because they could not find my reservation made through an online booking agent on their system.

Our room was lovely with beautiful views over the gholf course. The only negative was a below par shower that could not be fixed so the water kept squirting to the side.

We had dinner at the restaurant and the food was great. Bar service from the floor above took very long though.

Check-out the next morning was quick and efficient. I would like to stay a bit longer next time and experience all the facilities on offer, cannot comment on any of those.

Room Tip: I prefer rooms that overlook lake and gholf course rather than the swimming pool, but that is person...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Wayne_ASH, General Manager at Arabella Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Kwassie
Thank you for your positive review. We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at Arabella.
Thank you for pointing out the issues regarding slow check-in, faulty shower and bar service. It is through such feedback that we are able to rectify and address the issues that have been raised.
We would strongly recommend for you to stay longer the next time you visit! You will certainly enjoy all the magnificent facilities on offer! We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wayne Siepman

Been to Arabella Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!