This is my second stay at this hotel so clearly I enjoy the hotel and especially the amenties like the golf course, pool, indoor heated pool, spa and the gym (I do not stay at any hotel without a decent gym). The location is beautiful and the hotel is close to some lovely little villages like Kleinmond, Betty's Bay and Hermanus, the epicentre for whale watching. The last time I was at the hotel I had a conversation with the General Manager - Leon about the service, especially the friendlines of the staff as it wasn't good at all, however I am pleased to say this has definitely improved so well done on that, now make it amazing!
Unfortunately though my experience at the gym was 'disgusting' I am sorry to say. As mentioned above, a decent gym for me is an absolute essential component when choosing a hotel and the gym here is okay in terms of equipment, however some of the equipment is over 12 years old and in serious need of an upgrade especially the cross trainer trainer and weights equipment.
My 'disgust' however is not the age of the equipment but the cleanliness of the gym equipment (I have included photos below) and as you can see there are sweat marks, dust, spider webs and grime all over the equipment and because I used to import this equipment into South Africa as an agent of Technogym (in Italy) I know the equipment very well and how it needs to be maintained and cleaned. This equipment needs to be cleaned daily because of all the body fluids and sweat on the handles, seats and upholstery and what makes it worse is there are no cleaning materials like antiseptic wipes or bottles of disinfectant spray and paper towels for visitors to use and hence I noticed some people using their own sweaty towels to clean the equipment.... yughhh! I then proceeded to tell someone sitting outside in the spa area and they then brought a cleaner and another person to look and the final result was the cleaning woman came with a duster and dusted the spider webs away. That was it!
Please can you guys clean the equipment daily with antiseptic wipes or disinfectant spray including all the floor mats which I am sure haven't been cleaned for weeks if not months (this is evident in the condition of the mats), also the handles on all the equipment like the treadmills and bikes, the upholstery on the weights equipment and so on and so on. This is meant to be a hygienic place of exercise and due to the nature of this kind of facility it needs to be cleaned with disinfectants and not just wiped down with a rag and dusted with a duster. I really hope this will be done starting ASAP!
My only other issue is when you book an aromatherapy and it says aromatherapy on the bill, then you expect to have an aromatherapy. I asked my therapist what she gave me when she was finished and she said a swedish massage...oooo! Clearly someone forgot to tell her what I paid for! It was still a good massage however that is not the point as I really wanted an aromatherapy!
Apart from the gym I really do love this hotel and I hope to visit again and find a super clean gym and hopefully some seriously upgraded gym equipment (the date on the equipment is 2001 so don't you think it is time!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Arabella Hotel & Spa is situated just over an hour's drive from Cape Town, South Africa. The hotel delivers grandeur in design and style that pays homage to the rare beauty that surrounds it. Luminous colours, soaring wooden beam ceilings and unique designs welcome you while attentive and gracious service enhances the experience of complete comfort and warmth. As you are surrounded by the majestic Kogelberg Mountains and bordered by the vast Bot River Lagoon, indulge in a sensory experience that will leave you with treasured memories. Savour the beautiful aromas of fresh salty sea air and fynbos; distinctive sounds of exotic birdlife and enriching sights of emblematic green mountains and sparkling waters that meet an indigo sky. The Arabella Golf Course stretches through Rolling fairways, deceptive bunkers and challenging water traps await you in this golfer’s paradise. You may get distracted by the Bot River Lagoon and indigenous wild flowers, so concentration is a necessity. Your stay would not be complete without a visit to the Arabella Spa. This glorious retreat captures the essence of luxury, privacy and rejuvenation that is at the heart of your stay. Beyond this blissful escape, the destination offers a number of activities to guide you on your path towards complete relaxation. Explore the Overberg with its magnificent charms and treasures that await you. Be enriched by exciting quad bike rides, kayaking expeditions at sea and lazy horseback rides while golden shores and serene Botanical Gardens will leave you in awe of its unspoilt beauty. A valley of vineyards and wine and historic museums invite you to absorb the town's legacy; magnificent hiking and mountain biking trails and captivating boat rides with the ocean's big 5 will leave you inspired. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Tingo and South African Hotels so you can book your Arabella Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arabella Hotel Hermanus
- Arabella Western Cape Hotel
- Arabella Western Cape Hermanus
- Western Cape Spa