“stunning place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Acorn Guest House

Save Saved
You added Acorn Guest House to your Saves list
Acorn Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   4 Kerk Street | Bo dorp, George 6529, South Africa   |
Ranked #5 of 49 George B&B and Inns
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“stunning place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great service, very clean, lovely atmosphere, safe, overall great! Lovely style. Yummy breakfasts I book in for work and spend a week at most often. I have never experienced but service only professionalism. Their attention to detail is a key point for me. I even got a chocolate from the staffas I said I was feeling down after a breakup. I love the llittle things lkke a leaf on your facecloth or the sherry in your room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MagicGeorge01, Manager at Acorn Guest House, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Hello Aileen

What a wonderful review, your kind remarks made our day..we'll year!! Thank you very much for writing the review. Its always a pleasure to welcome you back. I believe we will see you again soon.

Have a safe trip.

Warm regards

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Arabic first
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hi There, I loved the stay. Visually the place is absolutely lovely and I loved the vintage look and feel of things. The service from the ladies was amazing and the breakfast was delicious.

Unfortunately my negative points (and I hate complaining):
1. No hot water in the 2 front rooms. In winter this is not a good thing.
2. In the first room it was hard to sleep with the insanely loud church bell that went off what felt like every hour on the hour. We had long travelling to do so was hard to sleep and woke up tired.

Others all was wondering. I know there is not much you can do with the church bell but wow....it was loud and I can normally sleep through anything so fo me to mention it you must know it was a little louder than normal.

Otherwise thank you for the friendly service, warm bed (they put on my hot blanket and heater while I was out for supper...nice!) and yummy breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MagicGeorge01, Manager at Acorn Guest House, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Brigitte,

Thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor we value your feedback. I know the church bell could be annoying, but unfortunately there is absolutely nothing we can do about it, its a unique sound & trademark in George, some people love it & others hate it, I'm use to it :-) We always strive offer the best service & amenities to make our guests comfortable & ensure they leave with a happy heart & peaceful nights sleep so we do provide ear plugs for our guests that can't sleep through the bell. With regards to the shower, I completely understand the frustration I would also bring that under the attention of the owners/representative I do apologise again, as mentioned upon your departure we tried to go green, save the planet, but have no choice but to go back to red...the "green" heating system does not want to work with us!

Thank you for taking the time to write the review, we hope to welcome you back & as promised offer you a outside Superior room, not sound proof but not in the main house so close to the church, it makes a difference.

Have a superb weekend. Stay warm.

Kind regards
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I go to George on business at least twice per year. I stay for 5 weeks a time which is a while being away from home. I have been going to the Acorn Guesthouse for almost 2 years now and I must compliment them on all aspects. The breakfast is awesome, a little of everything. I battle to decide what to have for breakfast some mornings. The room is perfect for me. I do not need much and find the bed very comfortable. It is really a lovely place to stay and very homely. I hope to take my husband there to share my luxury with him.

I only wish that there were more channels for me to watch considering the long duration I stay.

Room Tip: Room 5 is the best - you have to be there to experience it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MagicGeorge01, Manager at Acorn Guest House, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Pauline,

Firstly we want to thank you for your loyal support, it's always a great pleasure having you here, you are apart of our Acorn family!! Thank you for taking the time to compliment us on Tripadvisor, we value your feedback & will look into your suggestion with regards to extra DStv channels, we already have more channels than the normal hotel package & will get back to you with this request.
You are more than welcome to bring your husband to come & stay for a weekend. We would love to have him & to show him what a luxurious experience you have while you are in George.

Have a wonderful week. Hope to welcome you back soon!

Kind regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

An excellent guesthouse that is excellent value for money. Massive bed, smallish but good quality flat screen with some Satellite channels, jacuzzi bath, beautiful wooden furnishings, some self catering facilities and fresh milk in the fridge for your tea or coffee. Fruit in a bowl and some sanitary items in the bathroom (in case to left yours at home) service was superb and very friendly. Pity I had to leave in a rush and missed what I'm sure would have been a great breakfast. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed July 2013
MagicGeorge01, Manager at Acorn Guest House, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Good Morning,

What a great review! Thank you very much for appreciating our efforts. We love making our guest feel at home. We look forward to welcome you back & will make sure you don't leave without having a delicious breakfast!

Have a wonderful weekend & thank you for taking the time to write a review it's greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards
Theresa & Suzette
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I travel to George every 6 weeks for work, so the really friendly staff make me feel right at home with my packed lunches for work and plenty of milk in the fridge for my cups of tea in the evening.
This time my Dad came with me - he is from the UK. While I was working, everybody really went out of their way to make him feel comfortable, especially at Breakfast time - he loved the porridge :).
The rooms are always clean and very homely.
My Dad thoroughly enjoyed himself and even commented that Acorn Guest House was one of the best guesthouses he has ever stayed in and my Dad has travelled a lot for work.
I always look forward to my next trip to George and my stay at Acorn Guesthouse.

Room Tip: My Favourite room is outside by the pool. Nice and big with a bath and shower.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MagicGeorge01, Manager at Acorn Guest House, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Ilana & Dad,

What a great review!! We are very happy that your dad enjoyed his 1st trip to George. Its always a pleasure having loyal returning guests, thank you for choosing Acorn as your home when you are in this beautiful part of the world even if its for business.

We look forward to welcome you back, have a splendid day!

Thank you & warm regards from a sunny George,
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had two lovely and very spacious rooms at this quaint B&B. The weather was terrible so the very friendly staff helped us find local things to do with the children. Breakfast was served outside and was very good. The staff even e-mailed to let us know we had left something behind (luckily we were able to pop back on our return through George). I would highly recommend a stay here with children.

Room Tip: We stayed in the older rooms in the original part of the house - I didn't see the newer rooms bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MagicGeorge01, Manager at Acorn Guest House, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Docherty Family,

Thank you for the lovely review & for sharing your experience with the rest of the world even though the weather let us both down! We were happy to hear that the kids enjoyed the Cango Caves in Oudtshoorn & hope to have you back in the near future so you could hit the beach!

We value your feedback & are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying in one of our original rooms in a 90 year old house.

Thanks again & greetings to the girls.
Oshawa, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We first stayed at Acorn Guest House in January 2012. We had our ten year old grandson with us and he enjoyed playing video games with other kids staying there. We used this place as our base while visiting other venues in the area. It is very convenient to see other places in Knysna, The Wilderness etc. One starts of each day with a harty breakfast. There is so much to choose from and eat that you could actulally skip lunch. The room with their ensuite washrooms are very clean.
Our second stay was in February 2013. One again an enjoyable stay and hopefully will return in February 2014.
Ken - Oshawa, Canada

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MagicGeorge01, General Manager at Acorn Guest House, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Ken

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the rest of the world! Your kind comments are welcomed & greatly appreciated.

We would love to have you back ...hopefully very soon!

Have a wonderful day & weekend ahead. Much love to Cole.

Theresa

Been to Acorn Guest House? Share your experiences!