“Amazing Experience at Kwelanga” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kwelanga Country Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in George
Kwelanga Country Retreat
You added Kwelanga Country Retreat to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   No 5 Beach Road | Hansmoeskraal, George 6530, South Africa   |
Ranked #9 of 50 George B&B and Inns
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Amazing Experience at Kwelanga”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

If you need some R & R away from the bustle of every day city life yet don't to stray too far from the garden path then Kwelanga Country Retreat is a must. Mark and Petra are amazingly attentive hosts and we truly couldn't have felt more welcome. The food was delicious and plentiful (their butternut soup must get a special mention) and we never left our table feeling unsatisfied. Our chalet was exceptionally clean with everything you could need to make you feel comfortable. The breath-taking views from our chalet alone were enough to melt any of that city stress away. We left Kwelanga feeling completely refreshed with the only regret being that we weren't able to stay for longer. Thank you again, Mark and Petra, for this truly wonderful experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We decided to go to Kwelanga Country Retreat and it was indeed the best choice we could have made. The service we received was exceptional. I dealt mostly with Petra via emails and phone calls and she was quick to reply and help me. The hospitality is amazing! Mark and Petra are really the best hosts you will ever have and they are friendly and passionate about their work. The food was so delicious and fresh. We had the best group of people who also enjoyed the weekend with us. The log cabin chalets are very clean and there is a little bit of everything that you need. The view from out the chalet is breath-taking. The wildebeest roam freely and is quite nice to look at with the sea in the background. Kwelanga will definitely be seeing us again and again. Thank you for making it a weekend to remember! Renier and Amoré

Room Tip: I think all the chalets are equipped with the same things, so you will be satisfied with all of them...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

If you need a break away from home, but you still want the comfort and the warmth of home, this is the place to be. WE had the most awesome reception from Mark & Petra - You guys are the best with their awesome daughter - Best hosts I have ever come across. The cleanliness & breath taking views is just what any person needs to enjoy. Tranquility is not even the word to describe this awesome place. We will most certainly be back and we will tell everyone we know that this is "THE" place to be.

Room Tip: All chalets are cozy
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Mark, the Manager is the rudest person and did not help at all with the booking request. TERRIBLE SERVICE. If this is how he treats potential customers, i am amazed that they even get customers... If there is special running, the person, especially the manager should know what the special is and not be unsure of the standard breakfast cost or unsure of the standard dinner cost. I am disgusted with him and will not be travelling to Kwelanga due to this, based on principle.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark_Kwelanga, Manager at Kwelanga Country Retreat, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Madam

I feel so terribly sorry that you feel that way. I do however remember your call vividly and in fact is is you that was rude. I did after all, explain to you that I was in the middle of serving lunch to guests that were at Kwelanga at the time. I did however take the time to explain to you, in detail, how to go about getting all the information required regarding your "free voucher" I explained that if you sent an email to " voucher@kwelanga.co.za " you would immediately receive an email response with all the rules, menus and pricing of the "free weekend" You are still welcome to test this. We have this process in place so as to alleviate the bottlenecks that happen when one gets around 100 - 150 calls per day regarding free weekend vouchers. Our system is clear and instant and understandable.

As for rudeness, the facts speak for themselves madam. you simply cannot claim that your bad booking experience was any fault of mine or Kwelanga's - You DID NOT follow the simple procedure as explained.

1) You refused to use the system as directed.
2) You tried to force me into a conversation I did not have time for and proceeded to shout at me down the phone when you could not get your way.
3) You shouted at the top of your voice that you would be making my life difficult and that I would regret not talking to you.(on speakerphone none the less)

the only thing I regret Madam, is that you can abuse Tripadvisor to this extent.
Kwelanga's customers are ALWAYS very happy with the way we treat them.

Yours is a malicious attempt to make good on your threats on the phone.Neither my staff or I deserve the abusive manner in which you spoke to me. We will not tolerate such rudeness and YOU will definitely not tell us how to run our business.

The next time you get a "freebie" I suggest you take the time to read the conditions and follow the CLEAR instructions. TRY and be pleasant and understanding when calling. Perhaps then you would be pleasantly surprised at the lengths people will go to in order to help and please you!!

I see that this is your first and only review, how sad that you would spend the time to join Tripadvisor, just to continue in this negative behavior.

It is a pity you will never get to experience Kwelanga, I feel sorry for you. I am however, glad for myself and my staff that we will not be seeing you here!

Kind Regards
Mark
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My Mother and I were travelling along the Garden Route over Christmas and arranged to stay at Kwelanga for two nights. Mark (and all the staff) were incredibly hospitable, guiding us on the phone when the GPS misdirected us, walking us around the site and helping to set up our camp. The grounds are lovely and we enjoyed numerous G&T's on the deck watching the Wildebeast. The campsites are secluded and overlook the sea and are just a short walk from the pool, bar and restaurant. OVerall, a magical place to stay. Thank you for having us!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

After visiting this place on our travels nearly 15 years ago, Kwelanga is as good as I remember - beautiful chalets with a perfect view of the wildlife and the sea from the little wooden deck. The Manager (Mark) and his wife are so welcoming, hospitable and helpful; they treated us to a wonderful South African Braai at the main building one evening, sat outside in a stunning setting.

The chalets are nicely furnished, and offer the ideal combination of privacy alongside being easily accessible to the main building where you can have breakfast either in the restaurant or sat on the (new improved) deck whilst enjoying the views. All the staff were friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere is so relaxed.

Kwelanga is also the ideal base for travellers wishing to explore the area, it is about equidistant from Knysna (scenic route, nature reserve, Elephant Park), Plettenberg Bay (amazing beach, whale-watching, craft shops and restaurants) and Oudtshoorn (Cango Caves, wildlife conservation park, Ostrich Farm), as well as its close proximity to various Wine Farms and mountain walks.

Great value for money and a smooth and friendly booking experience. We'll be back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Strand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

After a blunder made by a well known booking agency, Mark at Kwelanga corrected this graciously by offering us a two night stay at half the price. We made use of this the past weekend and adding to all of the accolades below, we enjoyed it thouroughly. Staff friendly and helpfull, accommodation comfortable and clean, beautiful views and total tranquility. Privileged to have Wildebeest grazing on your front lawn. Would recommend Kwelanga without hesitation. Best of luck with your baby rhino project, whell done!
John & Naomi

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kwelanga Country Retreat? Share your experiences!