“Nice Hotel in the 50's” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel King George

You added Protea Hotel King George to your Saves list
Protea Hotel King George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   King George Drive, King George Park, George 6529, South Africa   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in George
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel in the 50's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a typical 1950’s type colonial chalet hotel, which boarders a nearby golf course. Out of town and too far to walk safely.

If you want a secluded location and to step back into what the past was like then this hotel is for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Indonesian first
Sedgefield, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

It was a much needed breakaway, the kind you need every once in a while to experience different surrounds and meet new people. After arriving late afternoon at the Protea Hotel King George, my breath wasn't only taken away by the neat and luxurious reception and water fountains but also by the mighty Outeniqua mountains providing the perfect backdrop.

As I arrived at reception to check in, I was greeted by a lady with a sincere smile. While signing the check-in forms, I was offered a glass of fresh apple juice. (This impressed me as you don't always get a drink on check-in). They address you as "Sir" (or 'Mam') and treat you individually, which makes you feel quite important and welcome!

I was then given the breakfast and dinner times and received my 'key' card to open my room.

The rooms are completely separate from the main building, which makes the hotel look like a type of residential complex. As I opened my room for the very first time, I was surprised by the hotel's attention to every little detail. Complimentary gifts (even a bottle of fresh water) greeted me and surprised me in every way. Even a letter addressed to me welcoming me and inviting me to dinner (correct date, spelling and all!)

My room had a stunning view (through partly colour stained glass) of the icy blue swimming pool and beautiful lawn with my own patio table. The room also had an aircon and a LCD TV on the wall with a special selection of DStv Channels (even the channels and their numbers were indicated on a separate brochure and the TV guide was left open on the correct day). The room also has a telephone where you can phone reception directly and room service as well! (Menus provided in the room).

So, after I settled in, it was night time and we went to enjoy dinner in the main building. We ordered a wrapped pork fillet. The waiting time was reasonable. And as the food arrived, I was impressed once again. Neatly presented and extremely tasty, so soft and juicy! The breakfast the next morning impressed me as well with a big selection of yogurt, fruit salads, cereal (for the more healthy persons) and bacon, eggs, freshly made omelettes on request, pork bangers and so much more. All neatly presented, warm and fresh.

After eating a lot, we enjoyed the cozy lounge with a lovely fireplace while enjoying the provided evening newspaper (it was cold that evening, so the fire was more than welcome). I also admired the interior design, the chandeliers and general layout. The reception area boasts a beautiful and massive chandelier. The hotel has beautiful music (mostly well known love songs) playing in the background in the restaurant and through-out the lounge area.

The bar has a cozy feel to it and even though I didn't spend a lot of time there, I sure think that one can have a good time there drinking and being merry. Outside, there is also a playground for the children while parents can admire (or use) the beautiful golf course with the Outeniqua Mountains in the background. The staff treats you with respect and makes you feel welcome at all times... Four stars indeed!

I can say for sure that this was an amazing stay (Technically 35 minutes away from my own home and it felt like I was in a different world!). The only thing that made me realise I was actually in George was the Outeniqua mountains. I would recommend the Protea Hotel King George any day! Bravo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden and swimming pool. It also has a wonderful view of the mountains. S...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Deleur S, General Manager at Protea Hotel King George, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Eon E

Thank you very much for the kind feedback, without this feedback we will never know whether we are meeting or exceeding your expectations. I am glad that you had an oppertunity to just get away a bit(even though it was just around the corner) and were able to enjoy the hotel.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

A group of 5 of us stayed earlier this year in February for 4 nights and this was the 5th year in a row we have done a spilt destination golf tour in SA so prior to this had 8 other hotels to compare against and this was by far the best quality v value for money we have experienced to date. So much so we will soon be booking to return next year and having heard how good it was the group has grown to 8-9 and incresed George to the lions share of the tour for 6 days. Rooms very large and spacious, clean and staff simply very helpful, couldnt fault a thing and already looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: If you are a golfer make sure you have a room overlooking the 11th fairway
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, we are delighted to have made your stay a memorable one. I have seen that you already booked for next year...I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

And I will make sure you and the rest of your party recieve the golf course facing rooms.

King regards,
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights during the week. The hotel was quite quiet and we were out a lot on business. Didn't eat there but used the bar and they had a happy hour every evening and the barman gave us all the details on the first night we were there. Gave us bar snacks too as we were hungry. We had drinks in the bar every evening before going out and when we arrived back late they kept the bar open for us to have a nightcap. I found all the staff to be willing to go the extra mile, especially the bar staff. THe rooms were nice size and all around the lovely gardens, not in a usual multi-storey hotel building. Luckily we had a driver as I think it might have been difficult place to find as seemed to be in a semi-residential area. I think it was a 3 star and it suited our needs perfectly. Very central location with restaurants not too far away.

Room Tip: If the weather is bad then you want a room close to the main building.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Deleur S, Manager at Protea Hotel King George, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback after your recent stay with us at the Protea Hotel King George!
I am delighted to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient. Your commendations of our beautiful 4-star property and our STAFF in particular are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated them for doing such an outstanding job!

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel King George again soon.

The TEAM at the Protea Hotel King George
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

It's notoften you get an establihment , that really goes the extra mile ,
Having messed up my Booking , I realized that i would have to check in 1 day earlier, and also during the very early morning hours ... I might add ....

The Rooms Devision Manager Mr Conrad Jonck , was the first to realize my situation and acted immediately, and managed to secure the room and arranged everything, very welcoming when you have just driven 1200km, and everything is sorted out !!

The Night Reception officer , was very welcoming , and everything was processed without hassle !!

Yes of course the Double Deluxe Sweet ,is awesome , and wellover my needs ,but the room is spacious, and very couple/family friendly, although this is a business trip , this Establishment is ranked as my Number 1 Accommodation supplier if ever I am in George !!!!

Friendly and Efficient & Very Helpful !!!!!!!

The Grounds are well kept and lush green , The Golf Course is just around the corner ,might have to make sometime next time , Im in George!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dillon,
Thank you for your comments on the Protea Hotel King George.
Our aim is to not only meet, but to exceed all our GUESTS' expectations and it's wonderful to hear that we succeeded in adding "MAGIC" to your stay.
We hope to welcome you back to your Home away from Home in the near future!

The TEAM at the Protea Hotel King George
Greystones, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

After escaping from our earlier booking at another poor hotel in the area, we went to George tourism offices to find something decent. All the staff were friendly, professional and helpful and the King George Protea hotel.The room was clean, warm and comfortable with all the facilities you need when travelling as a family. Two double beds in the room were comfortable, room service was great and fast. The buffet breakfast was ample and the staff were helpful organising my sons favourite, marmite and cream cheese toast and a straw for his apple juice, they all knew by day 2 to show up at our table with the above items for their little customer. Great stay thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Protea Hotel King George, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Greetings from the Protea Hotel King George,

Thank you for choosing us after your bad experience at another hotel....I am glad that you had a great time and that the STAFF looked after you.

Thank you also for the kind comments, I will share these with the TEAM as it is always great receiving feedback from our GUESTS...

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Good value hotel in George for the whole family. Room nice and spacious. Great service. Ask for a room with a view on the golf course if peace & quite it is what you are looking for. Perfect for a on route stop in the Garden Route or for more relaxing.

Room Tip: Peace & quite = Golf course side Fun in the sun = Swimming pools side
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Protea Hotel King George, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Greetings from Protea Hotel King George,

Thank you for your kind words, we are very proud of our hotel and it is always wonderful when we receive feedback from our GUESTS.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us...the golf course facing rooms are indeed the rooms you should book when you are looking for peace and quiet.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you and the family back soon.

Deleur Stander

Been to Protea Hotel King George? Share your experiences!