“Value for money sunday lunch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cucina Restaurant

Cucina Restaurant
Hyatt Regency Oubaai Golf Resort & SPa | 406 Herolds Bay Road, George, South Africa
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 56 restaurants in George
Cuisines: African, Mediterranean
George, Western Cape, South Africa
“Value for money sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I went to Cucina for the Sunday lunch to entertain my visiting in-laws. The buffet was very impressive, there was variety of salads the seafood salad was very tasty. the desserts were exceptional with alot to choose from.
The atmosphere and vibe was very nice for entertaining. I do recommend it to everyone.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
George ,South Africa
“Spoiled meal experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We are not new to the Oubaai restaurants, in fact we dined as a group of five there just over a week ago, and had an excellent meal, as we usually have done in the past,over the past many years.
We live in George and have always considered Cucina Restaurant as one of the select special places to dine-entertain Guest /Business visitors in the area , especially in winter and my wife finds the ambience just right so we eat there fairly often. Because we had a good meal-service last week, we booked a table for six for 26th as our son-grandchild and his wife were visiting from USA and our other children were also home and thus my wife wanted a known quality venue where we could relax and entertain .
What a mistake! After arrival we were assigned to the noisiest / warmest seating stuck in the corner at the rear at the POS where the staff congregate, regardless of at time of reservation a week earlier as we left the restaurant, I made the repeat reservation and asked to be seated at the same table we had just vacated. At the time of making the reservation there were just two other reservations on the page in the book.
From there on it went from bad to worse, approximately 47 minutes before drinks arrived, although the bread was quickly placed on table ( which was the saving grace, as with the food delays and cold food, everyone could at least eat bread ). It took some 42 minutes ...yes that long at a hotel kitchen ...to receive an , off the menu bowl of our favorite soup ( which was cool and did not taste as it normally does ) my one son cancelled his due to lack of appetite before it arrived and there after we waited nearly an hour and half from time of placing order for our main courses which were all table d hotel, so no story about having to take time to create an special al carte cooked dish...
Sitting opposite the Kitchen and watching the debacle of the staff bumping into one another helped to pass the time and compound the belief that we had made a major error in returning to the Hyatt ...but at that stage it was to late to change .
When we initially arrived , the tables adjacent ours were empty, what intrigued me was approx 20 minutes after we hade been seated and our orders were placed, an elderly foreign couple were seated at the table next to us, the assistant manager food & beverage approached their table and was extremely helpful, this vist was repeated twice more during their meal and twice also by the senior restaurant manager - their soup being delivered within minutes of ordering and main courses were almost consumed by the time our soup was even placed on the table . Never once was our table approached by the management during the evening until we were about to depart , even though they stood right next to us assisting the couple .When our main course ultimately arrived my wife did explain to the waitron that her Lamb shank was cold inside ( not fully defrosted ?) and my sons sirloin was dried out and cold ( other than for the sauce which was hot so he could palette the meat ) the others and myself felt our meals were cool and possibly had been standing under lights for some time , the waitron said she would see what could be done-replaced, however i declined as by this stage i was calling "enough is enough " as i was not prepared to sit there to midnight from seven p.m so said, lets pay and just leave ...the waitron then suggested we may like to order deserts( we always love their deserts and coffee) . I replied " if we did we would most likely have to make a overnight reservation....which fell on deaf ears , but at this stage , i was again waiting an inordinate time to settle the bill so i could just leave and at this time my wife and son were approached by the same F&B manager who opened the discussion with my son , " the look on your face you do not seem a happy " and proceeded to apologise , present his card and offer something....but having spoilt a once a year special meal for my family, i was biting my tongue and heading for the door ........
I doubt i will be back and the problem is we daily have to advise visitors in our line of business as to the most suitable dinning , so this one is off the list , pity as we had previously suffered smaller delays at the restaurant, but the food and ambience made up for the small errors which happen in every business.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
George, South Africa
“Perfect for a good family meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently visited Cucina with my family, the views were great and the staff amazing

My suggestions on the menu are the Lamb Korma and the Seafood Combo

They also offer a Sunday lunch Buffet, great to take the kids

“Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Very nice decor, friendly staff, delicious food and a very beautiful view whilst eating/waiting. Definitely worth it!!

cape town
“Great pizza and pasta venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Nice setting with outside seating under the vines. Seasonal pasta specials are good value.

Visited March 2012