“Go on a weekday!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Belthazar Restaurant and Wine Bar

Belthazar Restaurant and Wine Bar
Shop 153, Lower Level Victoria Wharf | V&A Waterfront, Cape Town Central, South Africa
+27 21 421 3753
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Description: Welcome to Belthazar, a veritable theatre of fine food and wine on the cutting-edge of "shoppertainment". A multi-purpose restaurant, grill, wine bar and gourmet home accessory shop, Belthazar brings a chic new concept in the culinary arts to Cape Town.Belthazar is the realization of a lifelong passion for wine shared by the Belthazar team. Their vision was to create the largest "wine by the glass" wine bar in the world. Experienced sommeliers expertly serve up to 250 of the Cape's finest wines by the glass and advise customers on a wine-list of up to 600 fine wines and sought-after rare vintages.Indulge your palate. Belthazar is so much more than good food and wine. Indulge in the best - from the world's finest wine glasses and revolutionary wine technology to the slick service, superb aged Karan beef, export quality Mozambican shellfish and the freshest South African seafood. We invite you to indulge in the grand finale - a platter of boutique South African cheeses perfectly paired with a selection of Cape port wines...
Cologne, Germany
“Go on a weekday!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We went to Belthazar twice during our stay in Capetown and we had two quite unequal experiences:

During the week we had one of the best meals I ever had in a restaurant. We had a nice table outside. The waiter was polite, fast and very knowledgeable. We had the best steak ever (try pepper-crusted!) and a very tasty game kebab, both cooked to our liking, sauces and sides were great. The free starter was a nice touch as well!

Because of that we came back on our last night in Capetown which was a Sunday. We were able to reserve a table the same day for a quite late seating (around 8:30), good service. But once we got there, the performance was just not comparable to our first night. Everybody seemed to be under a lot of stress, we had to flag down waiters to order drinks and steaks, the free starter was forgotten (although other tables received it around us) and the steaks (ordered medium rare) were cooked blue/rare (cold inside), potato arrived without sour cream.

So, if you are in town on a weeknight, I would definitely recommend Belthazar (5 stars), you will have a lovely dinner. For the weekends they must work something out (3 stars, so 4 stars on average).

One more thing: The wine list is absolutely oversized (literally, it is bigger than a newspaper). This looked probably like a great idea on paper, but it is really not comfortable for the guests.

• Turkish first
“Not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We ate this restaurant on our 3rd night in Cape Town. It was the most expensive place we went since we were in SA and the worst place. The place is totally overstaffed and the service is not good. Our steaks were overcooked, we had to paid for all the sides, the fries were not good... very disappointed - you paid definitively for the location

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Good Experience despite the earlier comments”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I have been here a number of times in the past and was quite surprised to see some negative reviews. However, dinner there a couple of weeks ago, was great.
Warm welcome, a good table, polite and helpful wait staff and a knowlegeable wine waiter.
Tender meat, great Pinotage and very warm and friendly establishment

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Cape Town business trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was always told that the best steaks to have would be in South Africa... and as I am in Cape Town the best steak house restaurant would be the Balthazar restaurant in the Sea Front.
The recommendations came very high from many people especially the locals as the restaurant to eat the best steaks in... They were right, probably the best steak I have ever eaten in my life.
I ordered the 1kg steak fillet medium rare with pepper crust. Yes yes they have options of 500g steaks and 750g steaks as well as the whopping 1kg steak.
This steak was wet crusted which is a 28day processing of the meat in a wet sealed bag.
I loved the steak... It was how I always dreamt a steak would be. My friends and colleges ordered fillets and T-bones and they loved their choices also.
Being on the water front ... The place to be in Cape Town it was a great ambience at night overlooking the water.
The waiters were extremely knowledgeable about their menu and I felt that our particular waiter "Paul" was pationate about describing the steak curing process and the best cuts and the best steak cooking options.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Let down by the booking system”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

On our week trip to Cape town, we were actually going back to a restaurant we liked and enjoyed, Actually, the Mozzarella and Tomatoes starter was probably the best we ever had. IN the earlier visit, the food was great, the service very good, the staff friendly and attentive, and overall gave great value for money, and hence our return. We were passing and booked for the following night. There were 4 to 6 booking in all when I glanced at the book. We arrived in plenty of time, and I assure you, we were directed to possibly the worse table in the restaurant. It was in a corner, behind a glass partition, and situated n such a way that the 2 diners could not see any more of the restaurant. We declined that table. The waitress quite rightly informed us that she will seek the help of the manager. This lady proved completely intransigent regards offering us a better table, and in fact informed us we would have a 40 minute wait to rectify the situation. This was despite pointing out to her that I had booked. Overall I felt very frustrated, and disappointed, and I walked as it was the only way to show my disapproval. So, I ma now writing this review to ensure that people need to beware of their booking system, which is useless, and also to request that they desist from using the table they tried to force on us. Failing that,clients should refuse to use that table. Don't worry, the management of the restaurant know exactly what table I am talking about!!