“Casual dining, good service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Casual dining, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I would class La Perla as casual dining rather than fine dining but it is a well located restaurant where we received good service and first clkass food. The menu is varied and good value. There is easy parking very nearby. Overall a good place to eat rather than the hassle of the Waterfront in the evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

57% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“As good as ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

OK, I may be a touch biased having been an irregular visitor to La Perla for 30 years (I live in London) but having revisited a couple of times during a recent trip to Cape Town I still reckon it is very hard to beat. Great food, a busy buzzy atmosphere, ecclectic clientelle and impeccable service from happy waiters, some of whom have been there from its inception 40 odd years ago. But old does not mean that La Perla is stuffy or out of date but rather like a fine wine it has acquired a touch of class that only time can bestow. The highest complement I can pay is that although the food has a distinctly Italian accent it is the Cape Town equivalent of Le Caprice in London or The Lipp in Paris. So many thanks La Perla and see you again soon I hope

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aldermaston, United Kingdom
“Just by chance - but a good find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Looking for somewhere to eat and tired of the V&A waterfront crowds on a Sunday decided to look around and found La Perla. Nicely situated at the western end of town overlooking sea and beach.
Attentive service with a good menu of mostly Italian food. Good quality and nice surroundings - upmarket without too much expense.
A very pleasant experience .

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
The Hague
“Very disappointing...!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

La Perla had been recommended to us and we thought to dine there this evening, a Monday evening (18 February 2013). First off, it might have been easier should we have reserved a table. No, we hadn't, okay, no problem. I noted that our request for a table was met almost scornfully by the owner of this restaurant. We were usherd off to an anti-chambre to await our table for two where we were studiously ignored by the waiters. We ordered two glasses of red wine and were charged ZAR 108.00 for the privilege. I must admit the red wine was good, but later I read that by the bottle that particular wine only cost ZAR 185.00
After a wait of about an hour we were brought to a rather cramped table inside the restaurant. We had already suggested we might like to eat outside. After a couple of minutes we were brought to a table on the terrace. Much better!
My partner and I both ordered an anti-pasta and a pasta main course. It must be said that the food was good, almost very good. The service was poor. Disinterested staff dressed in barbers' jackets, tidying up the terrace at 22:00 hrs while many guests were still eating. I really cannot understand why this restaurant is so popular. It would seem that mediocracy rules.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Somwest
“Below average”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Bad experience for a Sunday lazy lunch! We were seated outside and waited for our drinks. A cockroach on the table was our first surprise. Secondly the food is very expensive for what you get. We ordered steak which was very disappointing and the salad was also not that fresh. My salad leaves looked old. The freshly baked bread was very nice. Service was average. For such prices you also expect nice wine glasses' not even that. I would never go back to La Perla! View from the deck was good.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere