“Best Guesthouse Ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cactus House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Town Central
Cactus House
You added Cactus House to your Saves list
4 Molteno Rd., Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa (City Bowl)   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Guesthouse Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Me and one of my best friends visited Cactus House for several nights during March 2013 and this was an unforgettable experience. Cactus House is super clean, and a comfortable, privately owned gay guest house with service that is beyond amazing. The attention to detail made the stay so special. Julian "the host" kept things orderly and the standards high. He also made healthy, full breakfast . Julian's knowledge, and suggestions on where to eat, places to see and what to do just made it so much easier for us to plan and see so much more than we've come to Cape Town. We will definitely be returning to the Cactus House very soon. Kudos

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoyed my very short stay, wish I had more time to explore CT...the view is amazing and so are the people. Thanks Julian for being such a great host. This place a just really a fab little jem close to everything and not OTT which is great when you just need to chill out. Will be back soon for a longer stay!!!

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I had a great experience at the Cactus House. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more supportive. They really made the extra effort to ensure I had a great time in Capetown, even helping arrange for sightseeing with a driver for my travel friend and me at the very last minute. Add to that some really amazing meals - I can't say enough good things about this B&B, I will return for sure!!

• Stayed October 2012
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The place is gorgeous! My room was spacious and cozy, with spectacular views of Table Mountain from my balcony. One of my favorite moments in CT was sipping some excellent South African red wine while soaking in the claw foot tub on my balcony watching the sun set on Table Mountain after a long day of hiking. This was followed by a tasty dinner with my hosts at a nearby seafood place on Kloof Street. So many great restaurants and shops within a short distance too. Julian and Simon are wonderful hosts. They gave great advice on things to do and had plenty of resources on hand. I will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were 4 friends who visited Cactus House for 10 nights during the spring of 2012 and this was truly an experience never to forget infact, one of THE BEST we've had in a while. Cactus House is a clean, comfortable, privately owned gay guest house with rooms that are just perfect, service that is beyond excellent and attention to detail is so evident, it's almost unreal. Even though there was some renovations happening at the back pool area, Julian "our host" still managed to keep things orderly and of a very high standard. A healthy, scrumptious and satisfying breakfast is served between 8am and 11am (more time than that of many other places) and is prepared when you arrive and not 2 hours before and left to dry. Julian's knowledge, and suggestions on where to eat, places to see and what to do just made it so much easier for us to plan and see so much more than we've come to Cape Town for and I quote.. OUTSTANDING. We will definately be returning to the Cactus House very soon and look forward to seeing the Fabulous new improvements at your guesthouse. Thank you for a wonderful guys.

Room Tip: Guys if you are 4 friends or two couples then I suggest you book the two superior rooms at the front...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Delicious little boutique situated in the cool and convenient little suburb of Oranjezicht. Fab and Very friendly hosts but not OTT. The breakfasts are home cooked and the setting is very relaxing - quick walk to Kloof Street. Just a lovely place.

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This should be advertized as a smoking b&b, because I felt the smoke pervaded my experience. The owner and his boyfriend smoke inside the house, which I think is against the law in a hotel, certainly if it is not advertised as a smokers paradise. The breakfast was sometimes excellent, and sometimes not. All this inattention to detail (and disregard of nonsmokers) is unfortunate because they are all nice guys. Also, the location on the online map shows them at the top of the hill, while they are actually at the bottom, facing quite a busy street. This makes it hard to use the balcony to relax, and I second an earlier reviewer who says there is very little space to hang out other than in the room (also because of the pervasive smoking). And finally, I was told there was a proper desk to work ag: again, inaccurate information; there is a desk on the terrace, but it is not really a desk to work at.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Cactus House? Share your experiences!