“Despite its flaws, I extended my stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Leeuwenvoet House

Save Saved
You added Leeuwenvoet House to your Saves list
Leeuwenvoet House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   No 8 Kloof Nek Road | 93 New Church Street, Tamboerskloof, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #79 of 149 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Despite its flaws, I extended my stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Review from an experienced international traveler. Note: I lived in SA for two years so can't say if this was good value/money as I've never paid to stay here before this.

The Good:
-the location: on a quiet road between two fun streets in a great neighbourhood which offers everything you need in terms of restos, coffee spots, bars, even a good club. If you're walking, it's a fairly safe area, close enough so you can reach Long St. by foot, and there are cheap cabs everywhere. Camps Bay is a ten-minute 8$ cab ride, for example.
-outstanding breakfast, lots of delicious choices
-the staff/ownership are very friendly and helpful. Went out of their way to accommodate.
-the grounds are lovely. You don't expect this much space in a downtown B+B, but there are quiet nooks everywhere, including the secluded deck w/pool. The pool is quite a bit smaller than it seems in the picture (think large jacuzzi), and the view from the deck pictured in the ad doesn't quite reflect the current reality as you can't see town through the roof of the adjacent buildings, but it's lovely all the same.
-room size varies, but my first room (#2) was massive, which is unusual in most B&Bs.

The Not So Good:
-the rooms feel as though you're staying at a friend's place. A tidy friend, but one who should replace his shabby carpets. It's not a 4* well appointed B&B; anyone expecting the 'little luxuries' will be disappointed. It's a great place to launch your exploration of Cape Town, not to stay in your room.
-the noises: this was the most serious problem, at least in Room 2 and I would presume Room 1. I could hear the pipes roaring whenever they took a shower (sadly my neighbour was an early riser), and my contribution to the noise pollution occurred every time I used the taps, which caused a racket which lasted 30 seconds after they were switched off. This was brought to the attention of the owner. And a common occurrence in B&Bs: when people file in and out early in the morning or late at night, they often don't have the courtesy to keep conversation and noise to a minimum. So if you're a night owl and hope to sleep in, this isn't the place for you. That said, the "upper" rooms in the adjacent wing in which I stayed for one night seemed quieter and more secluded.
-the internet was at normal SA speed in common areas, but I had no coverage in my room, which one of the staff confirmed was normal.

Three-star accommodation with five-star staff in a five-star location. It was perfect for my purposes (I extended my stay by three days) but I could understand if it didn't fit everyone's needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't in the main building for a quieter stay
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this excellent Guest House for 4 nights in December. Shadre had even organised the taxi pick up for us from the airport and everything fitted nicely in to place.
We were looked after from arriving and being welcomed by Teresa until we left.
Wonderful staff who really looked after us and Isabellas breakfasts were delightful.
Superb views of Table Mountain from the patio and an honesty bar.
Great location for walking to restaurants in the surrounding area.

Thanks to you all

John and Susan Watson

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Abidjan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

They've got only 15 rooms. I wish they had more. You kind of check in to "home". You have keys that allow you to go and come. They make breakfast in the kitchen and you kind of chat while you eat. Ask of Teresa, she is a nice little motherly lady .. that not just treats you, but spoils you.

When I checked out, they stowed my luggage for 3 days, when I had to go to Mandela's funeral. And when I came back, she welcomed me... like her child.

For once, I felt bad to leave. Plus, the lady owner speaks French! C'est super, non?

Room Tip: I slept on the rooms on the roof. The wind was louder there. Next time, I will choose the rooms belo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Very warm welcome after a long flight from the UK. we had first room on the left as you entered and it was extremely comfortable with a lovely big bed and superb bathroom with a large Roll Top bath Ideal to relax in after a many hours travelling.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and recommended fantastic eateries all within a few minutes walk.
The breakfasts were superb and with a large choice.
all in all would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: 1st on the left from the entrance. Large room with large bathroom with shower and separate bath.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Lovely warm welcome and great service. Helpful ideas on places to eat etc. Round the corner from Millers Thumb which should not be missed! Gorgeous comfy beds and large room (first one on the left as you walk in) .Bathroom really great with large roll top bath which I enjoyed relaxing in after my long day travelling. Breakfast delicious with a variety of hot food choices. Will definitely try and stay there again.Thankyou.

Room Tip: first room on left great
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bozeman, MT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We enjoyed Leeuwenvoet House for 3 nights on our first trip to Cape Town. We got in very late at night from Nairobi but no worries. The room was comfortable, if not large. The breakfasts were lovely with lots to eat in a friendly communal atmosphere. We were able to safely walk to different excellent restaurants nearby through a nice older neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

In late September the weather should have been kinder but instead we were met by a cold wind. In contrast, the welcome that we received at Leeuwenhoek was warm, friendly and most helpful. The bedrooms were comfortable and the breakfast spreads memorable. We were totally satisfied and will make it our target when next in CapeTown.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Katvoet, Owner at Leeuwenvoet House, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Cape Town is indeed a fantastic city and we have the privilege of being just in the right location.
We have conveyed your praise to our staff and they appreciate it greatly.
Thank you and hope to see you again.

Been to Leeuwenvoet House? Share your experiences!