“Wonderful - a Haven in the City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Derwent House Boutique Hotel

You added Derwent House Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Derwent Road | Tamboerskloof, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa (City Bowl)   |
Ranked #6 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Olney
“Wonderful - a Haven in the City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I'm feeling really bad about posting such a late review! We stayed at Derwent House at the end of a relaxing holiday in March 2012 and afterwards we stepped on a plane and back to the gridstone. Despite the Tripadvisor reviews we did not set our hopes too high for a city centre (albeit boutique) hotel and had ensured we stayed in various lovely places in the winelands and beyond beforehand. Derwent House was simply to be our base while we explored the city for 5 days.
From Jo's warm greeting onwards everything was a delight. Nothing was too much trouble and the openplan, chic communal space, the pool area and the gorgeous breakfasts made everything special. There are plenty of decent or better restaurants within10 minutes walk - though we sometimes used a cheap taxi back when the climb seemed too daunting at the end of a long day.
We will certainly make Derwent House our base next time we visit and we won't think twice about chilling out here before we venture out of the city.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I spent three nights here at the end of a month in Africa. It's a wonderful, comfy place. They have thought of everything. A mobile phone is given for use, likewise an international adapter. Helpful and friendly staff. Yum breaky - even had a vegetarian sausage as one of the cooked items. Very good bed and pillows. Great heating, slippers and electric blankets, even a heated towel rack! Lovely tea and biscuits always available. A free laptop to use was handy. Close to good food and a walk down the hill to everything you need. Very clean. Would love to stay again. Thanks to the staff for all their advice and flexibility.

Room Tip: All would be great. I was by the pool, room 6.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

Highly recommended if you want comfort, character, location and tranquility in perfect combination. Carol, Jo and team have found exactly the right balance between offering chic accommodation and a home away from home, without being intrusive. They've thought of everything and it's the decor and the little touches (free port, wine recommendations, cake in the afternoon, notes on pillows) that make it special. The breakfasts are delicious too!

• Stayed November 2011
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I arrived in Cape Town after two weeks camping in Namibia and I couldn't have picked a more perfect place to stay. I was the only guest for 3 nights and was treated like a queen. My room was beautiful with a balcony overlooking the pool and a view of Table Mountain, great bathroom and more amenities than I could dream of.
Location is very convenient to restaurants and sites. Before my arrival, they provided me with so much helpful information about day tours, airport transport etc.
I highly recommend Derwent House and plan on returning on my next trip to Cape Town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Chevy Chase, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was our first trip to Cape Town (indeed, to South Africa) and Derwent House was the perfect place to spend 3 nights. It is close to lots of great restaurants and shops, and Carol gave us excellent recommendations for eating and sightseeing. One day, my husband went shark diving (crazy), and Carol helped me plan the perfect day for myself at a huge farmer's market in Woodstock, gallery hopping, and then for a massage close by the hotel. Our room was a reasonable size, the bed was very comfortable, and we had both a bath and shower. But, it is the main areas of the hotel that really impress - Carol and Jo have picked out stunning paintings and sculptures from local artists and decorated the lounges in a modern but warm style. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4, which was very nice. Even though it overlooked the street, it was not noisy at...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The place is closed to Mountain top, 30 mins walk to downtown and 40 mins cab ride from airport. The service is outstanding, clean room, beautiful swimming pool and the best customer service. You will feel like 5 stars hotel. I'm highly recommended and will go back and stay if I go back to Cape town.

steve l.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I’ve done quite a bit of traveling all over the world, and use Trip Advisor frequently to find unique and great places to stay. My recent trip to stay at this lovely property in Cape Town while I was there on business was more wonderful and relaxing than I could have imagined. Starting with the beautiful details throughout the guest house that show that pride of ownership, I knew this would be a special place to visit. The remodel is exquisite, giving you the feeling like you have have stepped into a sleek lounge but still complete with the creature comforts to make your stay all you want it to be and more. The location is also wonderful, being a short walk from shops, restaurants, etc, and a short hop to all the sites and lovely coastlines to wind down your day with a glass of wine and panoramic views. Besides the exceptional amenities and the great location, what also really set this guest house apart from other places I’ve stayed in are the owners. Carol and Jo are simply the best. From the amazing correspondence, to yummy brekky, stocked wine bar and snacks, or the fact that both of them just taking the time to see if I had a good day at work, I was so delighted to be there. They have also really taken care to preserve the natural surroundings and architecture of the house, while offering a completely unique experience for their guests. I can't say enough about our stay here - I can't wait to come back, it's definitely one of my happy places to visit - and soon to be yours too!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Derwent House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!