A friend originally from Cape Town suggested this hotel and I am so pleased we took her advice. We upgraded to this hotel from the one used by Virgin on their 3 centre package which was further out of the city.
The Southern Sun has a shuttle service every half an hour to the Waterfront but you can walk there and back during the daytime in about 15 minutes. Our room was on the top floor with a view towards the Waterfront and we could see the unfinished road at the front mentioned on a previous review but my friend has told me that it’s been like that for about 30 years!
The room itself was very comfortable with a very large bathroom with both a bath and shower.
As you would expect from a hotel of this type the facilities were excellent with a nice bar area and a large restaurant for breakfast (which was very good with a lot of choice). There is a swimming pool but it was too cold to use when we were there so can’t comment on this. We ate in the main restaurant in the hotel on one night and were very impressed by the food and service. The staff generally in the hotel couldn’t do enough for you – on the ground floor there is even someone to press the lift button for you!
We also used the concierge service to book a trip for us and they also helped us out with other questions we had.
As mentioned by others, there is a pizza restaurant a couple of minutes walk from the hotel which was very busy but worth the wait once we got a table.
All in all, I would definitely recommend the Southern Sun Waterfront as a base in Cape Town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wonderful sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean assist in making the Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town a preferred business and holiday destination. A mere 15 minutes' drive from Cape Town International Airport, a 5 minute walk from the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) and within walking distance to the V&A Waterfront, this hotel is superbly located to offer every guest easy access to the sights and sounds of Cape Town. Breathtaking views of Table Mountain can be enjoyed from rooms that offer all the quality and comfort you would expect from a full service hotel. Offering guests a fitness centre, a pool and convenient meeting rooms and a business centre, the Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town caters for all possible business or leisure traveller needs.Modern, chic and spaciously comfortable, these Waterfront hotel rooms offer guests a rejuvenating, fully serviced escape from the bustling energy of Cape Town. The decor is tasteful and classy with an edge. Amenities cater for all possible requirements and include 24 hour in room dining and a host of channels available on satellite. Business travellers can make use of the in room wireless internet access and the workstation with work lamp. Smoking and wheelchair accessible rooms are available on request.Unique cuisine and relaxed dining are just two of the many aspects that make this a simply superb dining experience to all restaurant guests. The Yizani Restaurant is inspired by everything local and isauthentically South African. Yizani translates as "Come in...Welcome" in Xhosa, and is perfectly appropriate in that this restaurant offers a world-class welcome that sets the scene for the experience to follow. Our Pool Bar offers daily cocktail happy hours - 2 for 1 specials from 17:00 to 19:00. Our Pool Bar is associated with official Brandy Urban Cocktail Route. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotel.de, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Cape Town Southern Sun Waterfront
- Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town South Africa