“Amazing Africa!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rutland Lodge

You added Rutland Lodge to your Saves list
Rutland Lodge
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5 Montrose Ave | Oranjezight, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #35 of 151 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
London
“Amazing Africa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We've just come back from 2 weeks in Cape Town, which was amazing- especially as we stayed at the Rutland Lodge! It had spectacular views over the city, the Lion's Head, Signal Hill with the back drop of Table Mountain. We were warmly greeted by Schalk- who made our stay very special, preparing us delicious breakfasts with healthy fresh options as well as real homely full English breakfasts. Inside the décor was extremely interesting- with antique African artefacts and beautiful furnishings which was like being transported to another world. We slept well and the place was immaculately clean, which was helpful for me as my partner is a bit OCD! I loved relaxing by pool in the afternoon before going into the buzzing city- there's so much to do there but we particularly enjoyed the Winelands and Robben Island. Would definitely visit Cape Town and stay at Rutland Lodge again without a doubt- best holiday we've had for a while!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Newbury UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights in February. We had a great time and we had a lovely large room downstairs (no 6) with a great bed and linens plus a large and totally separate bathroom. What we loved most about RL was the homely atmosphere which put us immediately at ease. Jean the owner was most helpful and gave us brilliant recommendations for restaurants which proved a big hit. The breakfasts were fantastic and held in a lovely shaded courtyard with a bubbling fountain or in the impressive dining room if the weather was not suitable to sit outside. We also used the pool and lounged in the chill out zone under the veranda during the evenings.We just loved the peaceful gardens and views of Table Mountain and the City Bowl.
After my wife went home to the UK a few days later (we had stayed in two other locations), I stayed on for a futher 6 nights on business and decided to go back to RL, testamount to how much we had enjoyed our first visit. This time Jean offered me a huge downstairs bedroom (no 7) with a sitting area, a massive private deck and the most amazing subterranean shower room in the basement with a remote-control trap door opening in the floor - quite funky and creative but not for the faint hearted as the spiral steps were not something you would want to undertake if you were unsteady on your feet.
I would definately stay here again if going back to Cape Town as it just a great home away from home and very good value.

Room Tip: Room 6 downstairs is great for space and a lovely separate and private bathroom - garden view only...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Utrecht
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We travelled with friends who stayed at this B&B (we recommended it to them from previous trips) unfortunately we had to fly out that night. The owner however made no issue of us storing our luggage and even put in extra towels in our friends room so we could shower before departing to the airport.
This only confirmed to us that this is one of the best places to stay while in Cape Town.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

It’s a pleasure to take time out to post on this website as we had really had a memorable stay in Cape Town at the Rutland Lodge last month! Can only recommend it – and we’ve been to Cape Town on several occasions and not had this kind of accommodation, let alone this kind of service! The vibes of the place are cosy and grand at the same time! – the wooden ceilings, the tasteful interior décor and Africana, the beautiful views over the City, surrounding hillsides and, of course, Table Mountain. And there was nothing Schalk and Jean Jo didn’t know or seem willing to do for us! Delicious, fresh food and plenty of it, comfortable beds with luxurious linen (that made it hard to get up in the mornings!) and magical settings to relax in – the first floor sundowner deck, the pool, and the deck chairs in the spectacular garden! Great after a day of sight-seeing or conference attendance! Thanks to you both for a five-star, five-day stay!
Mandy Parkin and Jonathan Piggott, Nairobi, Kenya

Room Tip: there are good views of the City and the bay from all the rooms I believe! we were in the King Size...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I spent six nights at the Rutland Lodge in Cape Town. Our room #4, was spacious, elegant, filled with light with a view of the city, a swimming pool below our deck and a Jacaranda tree outside the french doors. The old colonial is in immaculate condition with a view of Table Mountain and original African art in every room. The bed linens were fine and after a long day the bed so comforting. Our host Schalk was warm and helpful in every way. We came as a group of 12 and so had the feeling it was our home, but the hosts would make anyone feel that way. A fire was built for me in the living room one night when I skipped out on the group event. I brought my laptop down (free internet) and sat by the fire with their two dogs. The location is super convenient and made touring easy. Oh, and the food was too good and served in their beautiful dining room where the table fit our 12 comfortably.

Room Tip: I liked rooms #4 and #5 and if I was traveling solo #3. Great views and light filled.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I had the lovely pleasure of spending one night at Rutland and was thrilled that I had the opportunity to have such a beautiful experience. The hosts are charming and so very helpful. Breakfast is a wonderful way to start the day in the most beautiful dining room along with an excellent meal. The rooms are large, wonderfully appointed with beautiful linens and the bathroom was a dream. The home was designed by one of South Africa's best architects and I believe he also did the home of the American Ambassador in Washington. I am a tour operator from the US and frequently have guests who prefer staying in a private home setting. We will definitely be using Rutland for our guests in the future. A special treat is an extradionary art collection - a feast for the eyes if you love African art.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Coffs Harbour, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

This beautiful colonial home is in the best part of Cape Town. Believe me, I am an ex-Cape Townian and know all the areas. It is picturesque and convenient. I travelled on my own and felt safe and totally at home. A few minutes taxi-ride (cheap) gets you to the Waterfront, and all the fantastic pubs and restaurants Cape Town has to offer. There is even a great deli/restaurant on the corner of Montrose Avenue.
The hosts, Jean-Jo and Schalk are just wonderful . The difference between staying at this guest house and an hotel is the personal (yet unobtusive) touch, as opposed to your being just a "guest:". Everything is catered to your pers0nal taste, even the conversation. And the breakfasts are delicious and excellent quality.

Room Tip: As a solo traveller, I was bookked in Room 3. Just right for me, with a very comfortable bed, lovely...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to Rutland Lodge? Share your experiences!