I stayed at the Fire & Ice hotel for 4 nights whilst on business and have very mixed emotions. They go from very bad experiences to the staff trying their hardest to put things right. Firstly the hotel;
The hotel is set back from the V&A waterfront in town about 5-10 minutes taxi ride (60 RAND) Its off the main road so no noise of passing traffic. As you enter the hotel its very much styled like a W Hotel but obviously not the same standards or quality. The check-in was not good, polite staff if you can hear them over the very loud music from the DJ stand in the bar area, the staff were actually shouting to get the message across.
I had a room with a balcony which is disappointing as it over looks the back of what looks like is a factory and high boards that glow red at night and in to your room if you have your curtain even the slightest bit open. The room is small, hard wood floors, comfortable bed, tea and coffee, their own water (not sealed.) There is a TV but limited channels, the toilet is in a small room to itself but the sink and shower are in the actual bedroom which isn't great if you are with someone, but there is a curtain that you can pull across to segregate the rooms. I was in room 140 and the issue with the end rooms on the 1st floor is that to get there you need to walk through a private function room area which when the music is loud you can hear it in the rooms or when you leave you walk through the function. This same area is the pool area which really isn't a pool, its a dip pool about 3 metres wide and maybe 12 metres long, the main sunbeds are actually inside the function room and laid by the pool because the doors that can open, there are only 3 sunbeds outside which when I was there were taken all day long, so if you want a relaxing area in some sun, its not going to happen! the gym is ok, 2 treadmills, a few weights, a couple of other cardio machines, located away radio, a multi-function machine which isn't any good. There is a decent bar area, its a rectangle shape which you can sit at and some lounge seats, service is good and prices decently priced. Its loud at night with the DJ, and during the week much quieter. The restaurant is ok, tucked away but once again at night with the loud DJ music its hard to talk to the person you are with. I ate dinner one evening and the food was nice and served in a decent time. On one side the glass windows look on to a large fish tank with very dirty water! First 500MB of internet and then high prices there after. That's about it for the actual hotel and here are the problems I experienced:
- Asked for an ironing board, two phones calls and 30 minutes later one turned up.
- Hair in my poached egg during breakfast.
- After dinner, I was left with out service, no deserts and no coffee
- Breakfast finishes at 10.30 and at weekends
- Ordered room service, plain chicken burger, no sauce, but when turned up, chicken covered in sauce because they thought I would like it, when Ii returned it and said don't send anything else, the restaurant manager called me at 10.20pm to discuss the issue.
- My colleague left me an important message at the front desk because you cant leave voice mails, they never gave me this message until I challenged the front desk they finally gave me the message over an hour late and said they got confused over room numbers.
- Hotel ran out of large bottles of still water
- Trying to get a taxi, waited for a while, when i asked why I cant use the hotel service, they told me they couldn't find the driver.
I did speak to the hotel manager who was very good and very responsive and spoke to me regarding my stay which helped me leave feeling much better then I would if I had not shared the feedback and clearly has a desire to put things right which leaves me to say if he does, then I may go back, just not on business.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Fire And Ice! Cape Town
- Protea Hotel Fire Ice
- Protea Hotel Cape Town
- Extreme Hotel Cape Town
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town South Africa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prepare to be blown away with the same force as the winds of the iconic Cape South-Easter as you step into the ultra-cool Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town. This extreme hotel, in the heart of the vibrant Mother City, offers adventure-seekers an accommodation option with a difference. A retro suspended pod chair welcomes travel weary GUESTS at reception. Beat the heat with a frosty-cold beer that awaits you in the built-in ice buckets at the bar and chill out in a booth or on the relaxation deck with a sizzling sexy cocktail. Attention to detail, personal service, and never forgetting to seize life and live it to the full' make Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town stand out from the crowd. We take service levels very, very seriously, but never take life too seriously. It is set in the heart of Cape Town, a stone’s throw away from the best vibrant nightlife hotspots, cafés and restaurants; not to mention the bustling CBD and world class Cape Town International Convention Centre. So whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, with a tour group or as an independent traveller, you’ll be welcomed by like-minded adventurers at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Tingo, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Otel and Venere so you can book your Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.