“Cute decor, great staff, not great for business” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town

You added Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   New Church Street | Tamboerskloof, Cape Town Central 8018, South Africa (Formerly Extreme Hotel) (City Bowl)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #73 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Lima, Peru
“Cute decor, great staff, not great for business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Decor spiced up with amusing details, like the Harley in the entryway and the theme decorated elevators. Rooms are small. Very loud house music at check-in. Staff are responsive and helpful. Internet is slow, and location not convenient for work. Better for a weekend off than for a business trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Cant_see_enough

We aim to provide a unique hotel experience and the décor is one element that contributes to this. Another component is the unique GUEST service that we offer in a trendy environment.

I will definitely be looking into the music levels within the public areas as it is meant to add to the atmosphere and not cause a disturbance. We understand the importance of staying connected and I am sorry that you experienced a slow connection. This will be attended to immediately and the usual speed will be instated.

Being located just outside the CBD makes us great for business and leisure travelers alike.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Johannesburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My son and I stayed at the hotel for 3 days. The hotel's reception area is lovely with all the psychedelic lighting. The staff were great and very accommodating and friendly. I was a little disappointed with the room - although very clean - it wasn't what I expected. I suppose my expectations were rather high after looking at their website. Also, it was noisy - you could hear the neighbours or staff talking outside the door. Nonetheless, it was clean and well maintained - albeit small. The burgers, however are simply awesome. They told us to try them as they were the best anyone could offer - that they certainly were.

Room Tip: Try an ask for a room with a view ie. higher than 1st floor. We looked straight into another build...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear EdelweissP

Thank you for your comments and I am thrilled that you liked the unique décor throughout the hotel.

The STAFF are committed to providing the best GUEST service and your review confirms that. We strive to create a home away from home for all those that stay with us.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations regarding the room. On your next stay, please request a superior room as they are more spacious.

Lastly, the burgers in the restaurant are famous and it is wonderful to hear that the TEAM is able to maintain these high standards.

Until your next trip, we wish you safe travels.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is certainly one unique hotel. Hallways are pretty dark while the rooms have adequate lighting. This was my first hotel stay in South Africa and the first night didn't go so well. Both the in-room safe and the lock to the room door didn't work properly. You could literally open the door from the hallway without a key. I discovered this by accident when I went to the gym and double checked the door lock. Both issues were taken care of. Kudos to the staff for taken care of this promptly. Speaking of the staff, service was excellent and there was always a smile on their faces. Breakfast was buffet style and it had a lot of offerings. Location was ok - it was within walking distance to Loop Street and probably a 20 min walk to the V&A Waterfront. There are other attractions also within walking distance. As others have mentioned, the shower / sink area and the super comfy bed is only separated by a white curtain while the toilet is a WC. Down the street from the hotel is a tourism office and they can arrange tours for you - definitely a plus.

Room Tip: Pick an upper floor to avoid the loud music from the lobby.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear BayAreaTraveler6338

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

We are proud to offer GUESTS a unique experience when staying with us. All areas of the hotel from the restaurant to the bedrooms have their own twist.

The STAFF are passionate about friendly and efficient GUEST service. Although your door lock was faulty, I am very happy that this was all sorted out very quickly by the TEAM.

We look forward to your next visit to the Mother City.

London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel was the last leg of our 3 week tour of SA and we loved it! Got a fantastic rate of around £40 per night so couldn't go wrong really! Check in was smooth and we were delighted to be upgraded to an exec room. Loved the 'in suite' bathroom - although I think if I were travelling with friends instead of my hubby this may have been a bit strange. It was around a 20 minute walk to the V&A which we felt more than safe doing in daylight - we got cabs back in the evening.
We ate dinner in the restaurant one evening which was quite disappointing, as was breakfast for the money - so would suggest you eat at the v&a - loads of lovely restaurants there and the mug and bean is excellent for breakfast. We had a drink in the bar one evening which was nice but we did both agree we did not feel 'trendy' enough to be hanging out there! It turned in to some kind of 'who's who' type bar in the evenings. Toilets in the bar are worth a visit and the lifts are hilarious.We were also given a room to shower in due to our flight home being late in the evening. Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear chell82

What a great title and I am so pleased you loved staying at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

Offering value to our GUESTS is important and the comfortable beds, spacious rooms and variety of onsite facilities contribute to this.

I am disappointed that our breakfast and dinner offering did not meet your standards. We are famous for our burgers and milkshakes and it seems as if we dropped the ball during your stay. I will discuss this with the TEAM to prevent this from occurring again.

As part of our unique offering the designers went all out in decorating the lifts and toilets on the ground level. All GUESTS comment on this and love the different approach.

Thank you for your review and I look forward to your return visit.

Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights here as part of our Silver Wedding Celebration before travelling onto Kruger and Mauritius.
The Hotel provides fantastic views of Table Mountain from many of the rooms and from the large panoramic windows on each floor when exiting the lifts.
The hotel is approximately 5 minutes via taxi (Cost 50 Rand) from the V & A Waterfront.The rooms are very spacious and clean with Satellite TV and Tea/Coffee Making facilities .
We dined in the Hotel Restaurant for breakfast and each evening and found menus to be varied and beautifully prepared and very reasonably priced.
We found all staff to be very attentive who will go out of their way to make your stay here enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Paul F

Congratulations on the celebration of your ‘Silver Wedding’ and thank you for sharing it with Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

We really are spoilt with amazing views of Table Mountain, not to mention our close proximity to the V&A Waterfront and popular beaches.

I am glad that you made use of the in-room amenities and selection of television channels. We are continuously looking at new ways of making our GUESTS stays as comfortable as possible.

The breakfast and dinner TEAM will be ecstatic to hear that you had many delicious meals in the restaurant. I will congratulate them on their efforts to create a variety of tasty meals.

Lastly, I am proud of the STAFF as their passion for GUEST service never seizes to amaze me. Your comments will most definitely motivate them to strive for excellence.

Murnau, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Let me begin this review by clearly stating that what I disliked about this hotel is based on personal taste - so others may really like this hotel.
The lighting is overall quite dim, with lots of red and blue accent lights. Relatively loud dance music playing in lobby and restaurant. Very "hip" themed decor (shark cage elevator is really neat!). Rooms also very hip, with red and blue lights. Sounds good?
I simply did not feel comfortable there. The rooms were designed, but not well thought out - no towel racks, very little space for toiletires, bed so close to the shower with no door in between, so you could smell the "wet dog" smell coming from the drain while lying in bed. The bathroom just wasn't well cleaned. I felt stressed and not comfortable in my room, and even worse in the breakfast room - dance music at relatively loud volume first thing in the morning?? Just not my thing.
One highlight - the fitness studio was relatively well equipped for a hotel of this size.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ebie_MUC

Your comments are welcomed and will assist us in our ongoing search for excellence. Thank you for sharing them with us on TripAdvisor.

The design of the rooms is meant to provide GUESTS with more space. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the room and were not able to feel comfortable. We aim to provide GUESTS with comfortable and friendly accommodation and it is unfortunate that this was not the case during your stay. On your next visit, please request a superior room with en suite bathroom to ensure you have all the comfort and storage space required.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly. My email address is gm@fireandicehotel.com.

Wayne, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I traveled to this hotel with friends- which is exactly why I say it's perfect for couples. In the room, the entire shower was SEE THROUGH! If you're traveling with your significant other this probably doesn't matter, but with people I was friends with who I hadn't know for a very long time this made it a bit awkward. Everyone had to face a certain way while someone was in the shower to avoid inadvertently watching them as they washed themselves. If I was with my boyfriend, however, this place would have been perfect. Location right next to Long Street for going out, chic bar and decor in the lobby with alcoholic milkshakes, romantic rooms.. Definitely stay here with people you don't mind being intimate with.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jenna C

We are always so grateful to hear feedback from our GUESTS. Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor.

You are spot on when mentioning our locations. We definitely have our finger on the pulse of Cape Town, with Long Street, Table Mountain and the V&A Waterfront all nearby. I am glad you enjoyed our milkshake selection; I hope you tried as many as possible during your stay.

I completely understand your concern regarding the privacy in the room. When you visit us next time, please feel free to request a room with an en-suite bathroom so as to avoid any uncomfortable moments.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town

Been to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town? Share your experiences!